TS
Posted By
Tim_Sterbentz
Jun 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, I selected my object (puppies) from my photo.
Now what?
The layers are in different places in the new Photo Shop. I know I need to be on the right layer.

How do I extract the image. Filter, extract brings me to the wrong place.

Hitting return does not work. If I try the option that show a black or white background –how do I save it?

Its drove me nuts for weeks.

Thanks.
Tim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2007
what exactly are you trying to do? explain in detail. pretend we can’t see what’s on your screen or know what you’re thinking! 🙂
TS
Tim_Sterbentz
Jun 6, 2007
Hello. Thanks for the response.

I have a photo of puppies in a basket. The background is poor and I want to take it out. I used the last version of Photo Shop and to take out the background and make it white. I used the filter, extract tools (as well as eraser tool). It worked well, but I would like to use the direct select tool to work faster.

I select the pups in a basket and that is as far as I am able to go.

Any ideas?
RS
Randeep_Singh
Jun 8, 2007

1. First of all you need to choose the correct layer which contains puppies.

2. Now, You need to select the puppies:
As you said, if the background is Poor, You can select the puppies using either "Poly Lasso" Or "Lasso Tool", Or Extract Tool.
If the background is of a solid color, you can use Magic Wand tool to select solid color in one shot.

3. Copy the selection to a new File:
Once the puppies are selected. Use "Ctrl+C" to copy the selected portion of the layer (i.e. puppies).
Use File > New… to create a new file (the size of the new file will automatically be of the size of the selection) and then use Ctrl+V to paste your selection on the new file.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 8, 2007
Tim. Don’t think of the new Direct Select tool as a replacement for the Extract filter (which still remains the best tool for the job).

It’s a great new tool, acting as a sort of hybrid of the magic wand and magnetic lasso. But at the end of the day, all it does is make a selection, albeit quickly.

There is the new Select>Refine Edge dialogue, of course, which can help when it comes to feathering/modifying/ the selection and that can be useful for simple cutouts. But really, Extract is the way to go.

————–

Here’s a tip which can speed up the use of the Extract tool:

First Make a rough selection of the subject (the new Direct Select tool makes this really fast)

* Invert the selection

* Go Select>Modify>Border> and set to 8 pixels (or 4 if the image is low res)

* Invert again

* In the Channels palette, click the "Save Selection as Channel" button

* Deselect

(Save the last five steps in an action for next time)

Now open the Extract Dialogue. Click the Channel drop-down and select "Alpha 1".

Your image will be loaded with the edge already defined, eliminating all that tedious highlighting. All you need do now is closely examine the highlight and tweak/adjust as necessary.

Combining these tools via my action makes Extract a quick and easy filter to use.

Chris.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections