GB
Posted By
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today I did my first heavy Ps work with 11.0.1 TRYING to get some work done and hit two crashes while trying to save —- one Save, and secondr Save As.

Crash report and screen grab here:
www.gballard.net/Ps_11_0_1_Crash27feb09_F.zip

I sent both CR to Adobe, but only have the second in the zip…

+++++++

After I lost 15 minutes work on the first Save crash, I was walking on eggs Save As new versions on a multilayered file that sits on the HD at about 1GB (a 24×48 300ppi 8-bit psd).

At this point Ps 11 is unusable here on my Inter/10.5 machine — what am I supposed to do?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 28, 2009
I think that this could have something to do with the way that you work with open NEF files (if you are still doing that?).

Have you tried saving your NEFs as .PSDs; or using Smart Objects out of ACR?
GB
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
Sigh..

www.gballard.net/crash3_27feb09_F.zip

I was deep into my 14,400 pixel tall multilayered poster file, just merged layers to a new layer, sharpened, was attempting to paint selective sharpening, very sluggish, spinning wheel,Ps just blinked out with CR.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
Crash 4 doing the same steps:

www.gballard.net/crash4_27feb09_F.zip

After rebooting

Open 732MB file (opens at 296MB)
7200×14400 pixels
Has dozens of layers

I resize to 7140×14280

Merge to new layer, sharpen (gets very sluggish), try to select History states to paint sharpness back in…white box anomalies on screen, blinks out with crash reports.

I am going to move the file over to Mac Pro 4-core, 10.4.11, 10GB ram, Ps 10…
J
JimGoshorn
Feb 28, 2009
FYI, I had a crash after merge to new layer with a G5 Quad 8gb RAM and 10.4.11 and PS 11.0. The way I got around it was to save the file after the merge as a new doc and then continue my steps using the new doc.

Sent the report to Adobe.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
crash 5

I woke up the 8-core beast this morning, Dock> Ps icon> Quit = crash report

www.gballard.net/crash5_28feb09_F.zip

++++++

The 4-core, Ps 10.0.1, 10.4.11 machine barreled right through the file.

It allowed me to finish the piece www.californiaindianeducation.org/pow_wow/posters/eagles.htm l
D
DYP
Feb 28, 2009
Do you have OpenGL Drawing enabled? I found it very problematic on my 8-core with the Nvidia 8800. With OpenGL Drawing disabled 11.0.1 seems as stable as 10.0.1.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
good point, I have OpenGL running

I have matching Apple OEM ATA Radeon HD 2600 XT cards

they drive an Apple HD 30" display, 24" NEC 2490WUXi, and a 19" Sony SDM-HX73

the big file I was working on seemed to be doing OK until I resized it and merged layers to a new top layer (font and logo groups were turned off) — at that point the 8-core choked

I guess I could start deleting font layers on the other machine and reopening the file on the problem machine — and mess with Memory and OpenGL settings — but I lost a lot of time and peace of mind yesterday and need a break from it all…
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Feb 28, 2009
Gary: please try running CS4 for a while with OGL disabled. I’m really curious if that has anything to do with the crashes you’re experiencing.

Thanks.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
with OGL disabled:

was running ok for about five minutes on the problem file until I opened-quit Safari then the next move in Ps showed white boxes screen anomalies and blinked out with this (also sent via crash reporter with Adam Jerugim noted in details)

www.gballard.net/Crash7_28feb09_F.zip
GB
g_ballard
Feb 28, 2009
Crash 8

I rebooted the Mac and ran Ps with OGL disabled:

was running ok for about five minutes on the problem file until I opened-quit Microsoft Entourage then Ps showed white boxes screen anomalies and blinked out

Crash Report sent via crash reporter with Adam Jerugim noted in details — please search for the #8 crash report there if you want it…

The next thing I will try is removing the Helvetica Rounded type layers because Font Agent Pro is auto activating that font…
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 28, 2009
Keep sending the crash reports to Adam.
Hopefully they’ll tell us something about what is causing the crash (once we resolve all the symbols).
R
Ram
Feb 28, 2009
GB,

Humor me for an instant: remove one of the video cards, run both monitors off the same card and see what happens.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks, Ramón, I agree the OpenGL bugs or bad video cards are major suspects.

Or either my install has been toasted with all the crashing, I hit some nasty bugs, or I have bad hardware…I hope to get a clue from the geniuses this time because my main machine is next to worthless right now…

And Final Cut Studio takes a half day to install and update, not including CS2 (for GoLive), CS3, and CS4, the ZeroWrite, and OS installs and updates, a lot of time on a hunch the problem is my hardware or install…

Yet if the crash reports point at my end, I would have to eat the time and rule it out…
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
This is what I had in mind, GB:

Ramón G Castañeda, "2009 Macs and Peripherals :: General Discussion :: Chapter III" #174, 28 Feb 2009 4:13 pm </webx?14/175>
GB
g_ballard
Mar 2, 2009
thanks for that info, Ramón

I am using matched supported Apple OEM cards and need three monitors

my 8-core machine is a lot more stable (but still crashing) with OpenGL disabled in Photoshop
GB
g_ballard
Mar 9, 2009
The recent problem of Ps instability seems to be associated with Helvetica Rounded Linotype because

Font Agent Pro check out the font ok.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 15, 2009
Helvetica Rounded does not seen to be the problem, Ps CS4 is crashing on files with no font layers ———— I sent in about six crash reports since my last series ———— CS3 is not crashing here even on the huge files with Helvetica Rounded type layers…
GB
g_ballard
Mar 15, 2009
I should add I was not slugging CS3 out in the problem Ps/Bridge/ACR workflow that crashes CS3
R
Ram
Mar 15, 2009
CS4 crashed on me last night—for the first time ever. Sent the crash report to Apple and Adobe. Brand new document, created from scratch, just playing around with three characters and changing fonts. Nothing else on the document.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 16, 2009
I gave up using CS4 just after crashing a New Document twice — two pixel layers dragged in, no text, one file open with no text layers.

I got a 1500GB Seagate yesterday and cleaned off an old 500GB Seagate and zerowrote it to clone my install on.

After that I will ZW my Apple logo drive and have my OS-Ps installed to find my answer (or at least have better ammunition to make my point with Apple/Adobe).

How is it that all those crash reports I sent in don’t offer any clue?
DB
David_Bettany
Mar 17, 2009
Just to add to this thread – we have a number of Mac Pro’s here varying from the 1st released to the current, mix of ATI 1900 and Nvidia 8800 GT video cards, ram from 4GB to 10GB, all Machines are running OS X 10.5.6, and the team are sick and very annoyed with the number of crashes with PS 11.01. Move a layer, merge, add to a layer and you’ll get the beach ball then pause the crash. Can be several times a day.

Have tried clean installs – as in format the HD, install OS X, updates, CS4 Design suite. Have moved the drive to another machine with the same results. Have checked the memory pairing in the banks – all as per the Apple documentation.

Be real nice to get to the bottom of this for sure.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 17, 2009
we have a number of Mac Pro’s…crashes with PS 11.01. Move a layer,
merge, add to a layer and you’ll get the beach ball then pause the crash. Can be several times a day.

thank you for taking the time to post that info…are you running multiple monitors (multiple video cards, are the matched?) by chance —- now I am not so keen on spending time zerowrite and install new OS/Ps, tho

but if you email Adobe a copy of one of your reports they may be able to search for all the other ones you send in

Adobe, I took a screen shot of the white boxes anomalies <http://www.gballard.net/crashs1.jpg>
it had a blue Ps logo top left but didn’t capture

I took a picture of the screen on another crash to document the true screen <http://www.gballard.net/crashs2.jpg>

these were both done a couple days ago and i sent the CRs in
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 17, 2009
Hmm, the drop shadow on the box indicates that it’s a window.

Was the untitled document really a clip from the left hand document, or was that a video glitch as well?

The second picture is more informative — it’s an error dialog, but it’s not drawing correctly. I bet the first picture was the same thing. So, something is going wrong, and leaving the OS windows/drawing in a bad, bad state.

Do me a favor: go into your preferences folder (/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings) and look for PSErrorLog.txt. That’s a log of all program errors and other serious errors that have occurred. Hopefully the program wasn’t so far gone that it couldn’t write the log file.
If that file exists, send it to Adam Jerugim and myself along with the 2 pictures you just posted.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 17, 2009
Chris,

Thank you for your time.

I am not sure if I got Adam’s email correct or if yours is the same, so I also upload the screen shots and PSErrorLog you asked me to send Adam Jerugim:

www.gballard.net/ballard_note_2cox_F.zip

If you have any clue I would greatly appreciate…
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Mar 17, 2009
David / Gary,

Please use my non-adobe email to contact me directly: travlin_adam at yahoo dot com

I’m currently working on this issue and want to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

thanks,
-Adam
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Mar 17, 2009
Also, just out of curiosity, are any of the systems that crash using a 30" display?
GB
g_ballard
Mar 18, 2009
Yes, my 8-core has a 30" ACD (and 2 matching video cards):

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9588
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-252
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.252
Displays:
Cinema HD:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

+++++++

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-2
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9588
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-252
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.252
Displays:
SDM-HX73:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
LCD2490WUXi:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

+++++++

Back in the day when my 4-core was flaky, it also had three monitors and matching OEM Apple cards, but it currently has only the 24" NEC monitor attached running 10.4.11 and I don’t use it that much for Ps.
DB
David_Bettany
Mar 18, 2009
Hey Adam,

Have just sent you some log files from one machine. Can send other’s if needed, but, they all look the same 😉

Looking forward to a resolve 🙂

Cheers

David
DB
David_Bettany
Mar 18, 2009
No 30" displays here – just dual heads of 1920x 1200 and 1600 x 1050
GB
g_ballard
Mar 18, 2009
David,

Can you go to
HD> Users> User> Library> Preferences> Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings> OPEN "PSErrorLog.txt" in a text program

DO YOU SEE ANY "REQUIRE failed" errors?

I have 71 pages (hundreds) of this error:
2008:12:02 16:54:33 : /Volumes/workarea/PS_11_Mac_Daily_Retail/20080919.r.488/phot oshop/main/photoshop/xcode/../interfaces/UTrackResourceImp.h : 154 : REQUIRE failed

Or what do you have there?
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, I’m still trying to figure out what causes that error – but it may not be related to the crashes. (So far, it seems to be related to an automation plugin)
GB
g_ballard
Mar 19, 2009
Chris,

I emailed you a Ps> Help> System Info dump of my plug-ins, at the time I did not realize I had a 3rd-party plugin: Silverfast (Epson) Version CS3 Release 1 (16-Feb-2007

I always scan outside of Ps so it must have creeped in on one of the many Silverfast AI 6.5 updates I ran.

I will track that SF AI plugin down and remove it from soup…
R
Ram
Mar 19, 2009
G B,

I would not be surprised to hear it was Silverfast. The s.o.b. developer’s bright idea to make the demo Silverfast version for my particular Epson tabloid-sized scanner "protected", was to cause an intentional crash when you clicked on the Scan button. And the s.o.b. wants nearly $600 for that version. >:(
GB
g_ballard
Apr 2, 2009
The crashing here in CS4/8-core/10.5x has stopped only because I switched over to a 4-core running 10GB ram, 10.4.11, one 30" Apple monitor, CS4, at 80% memory set in Ps prefs doing an out-of-town job.

Ps11 on the 10.4.11/4-core/2.66Ghz was running with some annoying pauses applying the Fade previous adjustment (it would not release back to the image without dinking around a lot back and forth between Finder).

Further I had several hanging with blank Error message boxes that required Force Quits (no crash reports generated) while building a master-layered 1280×800 (straight pixel layers only dragged in and scaled).

I never had CS4 installed on this 4-core, so it was brand new install and fully updated (SilverFast plugin removed), and again memory set at 80% hoping I could get some work done with out crashing.

I can’t speak for the "few thousand photographers in the Photoshop beta test program," but I have to wonder why I send in all the detailed crash reports, and even duplicate the problem on Adobe’s remote machine, and still have no clue what the problem is — unless I have two bad Intel machines.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections