V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes I get a dialog box asking if I want to reset my settings when I press the keyboard shortcut for "Save for Web & Devices" (option-shift-command-S). When I cancel out it moves on to the "Save for Web & Devices" dialog box. I’ve tried to look into the different combinations of option, shift, and command that I may be pressing along with some of the keys next to S, but I can’t figure it out.

Does anyone have an idea of how I’m triggering this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

FM
Fred M Stevens
Feb 27, 2009
CMD+SHIFT is the keyboard shortcut for resetting the settings in Save For Web. (You can see this by holding CMD+SHIFT and then clicking File > SFW.)
Maybe your Shift and Command keys are sticky, or you’re holding those longer than the other buttons.

If cleaning out under your keys (like with compressed air) doesn’t fix it, maybe try turning off the computer, unplugging the keyboard, turn on the computer, and after it boots up a ways plug the keyboard back in.

When odd things like this happen, I will typically reset the preferences in the program back to their defaults by closing PS, renaming the preference file, and restarting PS (it creates a new one). For instructions, see Step 5 in this document:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404895>
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
renaming the preference file

???

Just delete the damned thing!

Or, even better, hold down Command+Option+Shift as you launch Photoshop, that is the recommended way of doing it.

Leaving re-named files on your system is like putting a used paper tissue in your pocket after you blow your nose instead of discarding it.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
CMD+SHIFT is the keyboard shortcut for resetting the settings in Save For Web. (You can see this by holding CMD+SHIFT and then clicking File
SFW.)
Maybe your Shift and Command keys are sticky, or you’re holding those longer than the other buttons.

Thanks Fred, very helpful info!
FM
Fred M Stevens
Mar 1, 2009
???

Ramón, the reason I recommend just renaming it is because if resetting the prefs doesn’t fix it, then you can just quit PS, delete the new file, and restore the name of the original prefs file to get back your settings. (I tend to customize many of the default settings, so this method can save me time.)

Thanks Fred, very helpful info!

glad to hear. let us know if the problem recurs.
R
Ram
Mar 2, 2009
If you had issues that led you to re-name the prefs file, it’s a very bad idea to put the old preferences file even if a freshly created issue does not fix the original problem.

Setting all preferences back to the way you like them takes an insignificant amount of time. What’s more, if you record yourself while doing that, the next time you need to do it you can accomplish it by running the recorded action with one mouse click.

As I typed above:

Just delete the damned thing!

Or, even better, hold down Command+Option+Shift as you launch Photoshop, that is the recommended way of doing it.

Leaving re-named files on your system is like putting a used paper tissue in your pocket after you blow your nose instead of discarding it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections