V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Feb 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I’m zoomed in at 1251 zoom or above and I try to select text, the text doesn’t show in a selected state.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 25, 2009
OpenGL drawing on or off?
V
v6v6v6
Feb 25, 2009
OpenGL is on and I’m thinking the settings should all be the defaults since I haven’t touched this before.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 26, 2009
See if turning it off solves the problem.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
It didn’t initially, but I restarted Photoshop and now it works. So is this something with the limitations of my system or something to be tweaked on Adobe’s end?
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 26, 2009
I don’t know. But now that we know what it is related to, we can try to reproduce the bug here.
PZ
Ping Zheng
Feb 26, 2009
I have an image the same with you, it is strange that only occur on my image, could you please send me your image to help me isolate this problem?
V
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
I don’t know. But now that we know what it is related to, we can try to reproduce the bug here.

Chris, I turned OpenGL back on, created a new file, added a text layer, and tried to edit the text while zoomed in at 1260+. I was able to see the selection and edit normally.

So I went back to test out the file I was initially working with and was still able to reproduce the problem. The same thing happened when I opened up some other existing files.

I’m gonna play around with the new file again.

I have an image the same with you, it is strange that only occur on my image, could you please send me your image to help me isolate this problem?

Ping, I’m unable to send you any current file I’m working on, but I’m trying to create a new file with this issue and would be happy to share that.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
In my new test, I realized there was a difference between the size of the new file (500×500 px) and my existing files (many around 1280×1280 px). So I resized the canvas of the new file to 1280×1280 and the problem occurred again. I tested at 1000×1000, 600×600, and 501×501 with the same results. I went back to 500×500 and I was able select text normally.

Zoom/text edit:
< http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/?actio n=view&current=PhotoshopScreenSnapz002.flv>
PZ
Ping Zheng
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks,t
How about enlarge the font size to 1000pt?
Can you see the cursor? It seems something wrong with the font size
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
If I select a single character in a line of text, I can zoom to 1200% and the character will still appear to be selected.

Go above 1280%, and the visual indication that the character is selected turns off although the character actually remains selected (which I can verify if I then zoom in to the full 3200% and change the text color — only the selected character will change color).

If you open a New Window that is less zoomed in, you will also see the Cursor and the selected character
V
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks,t
How about enlarge the font size to 1000pt?
Can you see the cursor? It seems something wrong with the font size

The test font I used is Lucida Grande, Regular, 12 pt, no anti-aliasing. Why do you feel something is wrong with it? Regardless, I can certainly try a larger font.
PZ
Ping Zheng
Feb 27, 2009
Can reproduce it now, it only occurs when one side of canvas size is larger than 500 Thanks v6
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
Can reproduce it now, it only occurs when one side of canvas size is larger than 500

Thanks, I appreciate Adobe following up on this.
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Out of sheer curiosity, would you mind giving me a hint as to why you’re selecting text viewed at 1,600%?

I don’t meant to be or sound confrontational, I’m just curious. I only extremely seldom use text in a Photoshop document (that’s why I have InDesign), and it seems that at 1,600% text would just overwhelm me.

Thanks in advance.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
I never said 1600%. I said 1260%. Ha, just kidding. It is overwhelming and something I don’t practice on a regular basis. Some of my use cases are:

– I overclick the zoom and I’m too lazy to back out.
– I select a zoom area and don’t necessarily know what zoom level I’m zooming into. – I’ve zoomed in to focus on another object, then scroll over to edit some text while I’m at it.

I do deal with a lot of text and I realize Photoshop isn’t the most efficient at it, but I’ve worked with Photoshop since version 3 (and 5, 7, CS, and now CS4) and I guess I’m just used to it even though I don’t use it anywhere near it’s full potential. The last "desktop publishing" software I used was Aldus PageMaker back in the day.

So to recap, I don’t spend most of my time working at extreme zooms just to change text. I just happen upon it every once in awhile.
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Thanks or elaborating. I’m relieved to read this is not part of your normal, intended workflow. 😉

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections