B
Posted By
bob733
Jun 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My friend sent me several pictures. I looked at them in Windows Explorer and they were 100k – 125k in size.

I started PS CS3 and started a New file. I purposly set the size as Paper (81/2 x 11)to see how PS would adjust to these small input pictures.

I then opened one of the pictures and PS opened it up at 3.556 inches x 2.667 inches (180 PPI), which I am assuming is the dimisions of the original picture.

Ok, nothing I guess I can do about that but:

1. Am I stuck at creating a 3.556 x 2.667 pictues consisting of several of the inputs (as described above) and reducing the size of the inputs even more so that several of them fit on to a 3.556 x 2667 canvas?

2. I have heard 300ppi as being a desired PPI for printing on inkjets. Is the 180 ppi I am stuck with going to be a poor picture (even at 3.556 x 2.667 size print?

3. How can I create a border that will be larger than 3.556 x 2.667 (which will make the overall original 3.556 x 2.667 picture appear to be bigger?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 5, 2007
You are not stuck with 180 pp1. Just change the resolution to 300 with resampling OFF in Image>Image Size, and proceed from there. You’ll see that your images suddenly gets "smaller", so resizing may not be necessary. Of course they didn’t really get smaller in terms of pixels, but until you are ready to print it’s pixels you are dealing with.

You can make such a border in several ways. Here’s one: Set the Background color to the border color you want. Increase the canvas size in Image>Canvas Size with Background color selected as the extension color.
B
bob733
Jun 7, 2007
thanks Ed. As always, you are ready to help and I (we) appriciate you and all the others that constantly provide assistance.

Bob
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
"Just change the resolution to 300 with resampling OFF in Image>Image Size"

What exactly does Image Sampling do? Is it good or bad to resample?
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
if you left resampling on, it would change the pixel dimentions to keep the same printing size of the image as it was before resampling.

resampling with it off just changes the ppi tag in the metadata. so when printing, it will physically pack the dots tighter together and a 300ppi 640x480px image will print much smaller than a 72ppi 640x480px image.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
THANKS!!!!! I needed this a few days ago, but now I know for future!!! 🙂

In a related question, under General Preferances, under Image Interpolation there are the folowing options:

Nearest Neighbor
Bilinear
Bicubic
Bicubic Smoother
Bicubic Sharper

I ‘kinda’ know what they mean, but which is best?
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
iirc, chris cox (engineer for adobe) said that Bicubic Sharper is best for sizing down and Bicubic Smoother is best for sizing up.

erm, or is that reverse?!! 🙂

nearest neighbor is good for things like screen caps.
B
Bernie
Jun 7, 2007
Bicubic Smoother for enlarging
Bicubic Sharper for reducing
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
that’s what i said!!! 🙂
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
Now What would be best if I resize up & down? 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
a pogo stick!
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
Ummm? 😉
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2007
Not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about resampling up and then down? Avoid that if at all possible.

Both are destructive, but resamplng UP is usually frowned on more, because you are adding pixels out of thin air. It never looks good because Photoshop has to guess at what pixels to add.

When resampling DOWN, you are throwing away pixels, but at least you are not asking the software to make something up.

Best to determine what size /number of pixels you need and go from there. Some people will resample in steps, and there are various methods for this. Maybe someone can expand; I don’t have the info handy.
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
I mean that I have a project and the stuff I import varies in size…

Sometimes I need to make small adjustments to a picture and those may be either up or down. You don’t normally workl in one direction in a project.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2007
You should try to plan ahead and determine as best you can what the final sizes will be. Every time you resize up or down you are degrading the image. Sometimes you can work on copies and figure it out that way.

There is a ton of stuff on the web about resampling. It can get confusing quite quickly.
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
I think my point is not coming across fully.

Im talking small adjustments here not full image scales. Sometimes I’ll create a blue box and need to change its shape & sized by only a small bit.

Also a picture, sometimes it may be a small bit to big like a few mm, so I transform it down a bit, you know?

Surely you make changes to most of your objects after you first place them on your canvas??
B
Bernie
Jun 7, 2007
Im talking small adjustments here not full image scales

Those can really damage an image if you keep doing them over and over again. Once is OK, multiple times is not.
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
So you are telling me you NEVER EVER EVER adjust an image or object in a design layout?

Let’s say Coca Cola commissioned you to design a poster for their new ad campaign, you must now do the layout for the entire poster, right. It includes text, their logo, a picture of a guy smiling holding a coke, and some fancy background with lots of swirls…:-)

Would you not need to constantly tweak your image until you are happy?? You dont place every single object perfectly, in terms of size and placement on the canvas, first time and export straight away…? You need to adjust things here and there and some more until the design works…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2007
I make as few changes as possible, and like I said, sometimes work on a duplicate, make adjustments to figure out what size I want an image or object to be and do a one shot resize on the original.

Of course an image is more prone to damage than say, a box. And if it’s a Shape, no damage occurs at all.

It all depends. I used to have to do extremely complicated composites. Lots of adjustments were unavoidable, but I would do what I could to minimize the degradation.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 7, 2007
Then of course we now have smart objects.
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
Which don’t lose quality and rasterize right at the end…?
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
Ummm?

lol. i thought you were kidding thundercross (hence my pogo stick comment!) sorry! 🙂

like everyone says. don’t resize more than necessary. use free transform or something like that to resize and don’t commit until you’ve got it perfect. don’t go back to it and resize again unless you HAVE to! planning is often the key.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2007
Then of course we now have smart objects.

Well, some do. Unfortunately I do not (and did not)

But, to answer Thundercross, as I understand it they rasterize, but only lose quality once, as though only one resize was done. Am I right?
T
Thundercross
Jun 7, 2007
Sorry Im trying to sum up all the facts on this issue here! 🙂

My concern is maintaining as much of the original quality as possible. Vector based objects are the way to go, as I understand it. Of course not everything is vector based.

Smart Objects seems the answer to all my questions, the only problem is when I convert a picture to a smart object and apply a filter it wants to rasterize it, which defeats the point of it being a smart object right?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections