AW
Posted By
april_womack
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently installed CS4 (upgrade from CS2). Ever since when I start up my G4 a file loads to my desktop and I do not know what it is. The file is named helvR08-ISO8859-2.pcf. It is an adobe file. when I click on it textedit opens, this is what reads:

fcp

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 24, 2009
april,

Do you know where you got this?

fcp

Final Cut Pro?

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
Some cheapo font.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 24, 2009
I asked because when I checked, I found it on a couple of "iffy" free font sites.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 24, 2009
I checked, and found it on a couple of "iffy" free font sites.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
Right.
AW
april_womack
Feb 24, 2009
I have no idea where this came from. All I know is that after loading CS4 it started appearing each time I started up my computer.
AW
april_womack
Feb 24, 2009
I have no idea where this came from. All I know is that after loading CS4 it started appearing each time I started up my computer. I have not purchased any fonts or downloaded any.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
Did you buy the CS4 upgrade direct from Adobe?
AW
april_womack
Feb 24, 2009
I bought it directly from Adobe and have been using it for 3 months. I honestly don’t recall if I registered it.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
If it runs, you registered and activated it. 🙂

I’m fairly certain that mysterious file has nothing to do with Photoshop. Why it appears when you launch Photoshop is a puzzlement. :/
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 24, 2009
Do a Search for "helvR08-ISO8859-2.pcf" to find where it’s lurking and delete it.

It may be in a Font Library.
MD
Mark_Douma
Feb 25, 2009
On my machine, I have the following 2 files:

/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/helvB08-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz
/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/helvB08-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz

What is likely happening is that somehow one of those files got registered to be one of your login items, and when you login, the file is being "opened" as if you double-clicked on it in the Finder. Because /usr/ and its subdirectories are owned by root and have read-only permissions, the built-in zip program of OS X can’t expand the file to to the same folder as the original, so it instead expands it to your Desktop. (I believe that’s the default behavior in Tiger and prior; in Leopard, the file is extracted in ~/Downloads/).

Running "/usr/bin/file" on the extracted ".pcf" file give the following information:

/Users/mdouma46/Downloads/helvB08-ISO8859-2.pcf: X11 Portable Compiled Font data

The first 4 bytes of the file (aka the "cookie" or the file’s "magic number") in Hex is 0x01666370, which if interpreted as ASCII text would be "fcp".

The "fcp" isn’t for Final Cut Pro, but is actually PCF backwards (in other words, a 32 bit integer byte-swapped from Big-Endian to Little-Endian or vice versa).

Go to System Preferences, open the Accounts preference pane, click on the Login Items tab, and see if either of the files above are listed as login items. If they are, just remove them (not the file itself, just the setting to be a login item). If they aren’t, then there is likely some other process on login that is indirectly opening that g’zipped file.

Hope this helps…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2009
I checked and I also have those two files.
Mine are "invisible" files located in:
..usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/helvB08-ISO8859-2.pcf
and
..usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/helvB08-ISO8859-2.pcf

I notice that mine were installed on 2/26/08 (which is the date on which I installed Final Cut Express and its attendant Live Type) so that is very possibly where they came from those and are probably nothing to do with either Mac OSX or Adobe.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2009
Good to see you around these parts, Mark. 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections