V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Feb 19, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just upgraded to CS4 from an old, old version and noticed you can work from a Photoshop PDF file. I actually output many of my files to PDF for clients to review so it’s kinda convenient not to have to convert it. Is there a reason why I shouldn’t just do all my work within this format? I’m mostly creating web and mobile comps which aren’t so graphically intensive. Thanks and excuse me in advance for my ignorance–still learning about CS4!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 19, 2009
For one thing when You maintain Photoshop Editability in the pdf the file-size increases and You might not want to pass Your complete layered file on to Your customers.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 19, 2009
That’s a good point. I’ll have to check out the file size difference. I actually combine the pdfs into one pdf so I wonder if that reduces the file size any?
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2009
will it update the combined file in Acrobat?

No.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks. Also wanted to post an update that combining the Photoshop PDF’s into one pdf doesn’t reduce the file size. For example, a pdf with 5 Photoshop PDF files is 12.9 MB while a pdf with those same files converted to gifs is 812 KB.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Feb 19, 2009
You are comparing apples to oranges.

You may want to study/learn what these formats mean and what you lose at the price of a smaller file.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 19, 2009
Hi Jim, would you explain the purpose of this file format in a nutshell? In the end I just need to be able to display multiple comps in one pdf file. I thought saving as Photoshop PDF would save me time, but apparently that’s at the cost of a large file size.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 19, 2009
Think of the PDF as a carrier bag into which you stuff images.

Fill it with high resolution images for quality output and you will get larger files; or fill it with low-rez JPEGs for instant on-screen viewing … and small files.

Heavy carrier bag or a light one: your choice depending on your current needs.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 20, 2009
Yeah, those were my thoughts about it, too, but I’m wondering about Jim’s comments. Is there a definitive place I can go to find the pros and cons of this format?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Feb 20, 2009
There are no significant cons to a format that allows you to either use low- or high-res and low- or high-bit images. The only possible con is if the recipient does not have software to read PDF files.

If you want to produce PDF files that are similar in size to the GIF files, you will need to convert your images to be more GIF-like prior to saving as PDF. This means scaling to the final output size and switching your document from ‘RGB’ mode to ‘Index’ color prior to saving. Your PDF files were probably huge because you were using millions of colors in them (rgb mode).

Of course, this dumbing down to a lesser color mode should be done on a copy; not your original file.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks Jim. You mentioned that I find out what I’d lose at the price of a smaller file. Besides the visual quality (which is fine for my purposes), what else do you lose?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Feb 20, 2009
Visual quality is all there is to lose.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 21, 2009
v,

Besides the visual quality (which is fine for my purposes), what else do you lose?

I suggest that you run a test for yourself. Take a detailed, high-quality art file with some graphics, type, logos, and photos. Create a series of PDFs of it, ranging from the highest press quality (or PDF/X-1a) to the smallest file size, and just compare them on-screen via Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 21, 2009
suggest that you run a test for yourself

It’s the only way to learn, really.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 21, 2009
I suggest that you run a test for yourself.

Hey Neil, that’s definitely a great suggestion and I tried to do this about halfway through the thread when I posted

Also wanted to post an update that combining the Photoshop PDF’s into one pdf doesn’t reduce the file size. For example, a pdf with 5 Photoshop PDF files is 12.9 MB while a pdf with those same files converted to gifs is 812 KB.

I certainly didn’t run the full spectrum of tests, but I wanted to test cristoph’s assertion that the file size would increase by simply saving as Photoshop PDF. I exported the images into a compressed file format and created a combined PDF using Acrobat. I asked Jim to explain more because he said I was "comparing apples to oranges" and that I should study/learn more about the formats, but then he mentioned that

Visual quality is all there is to lose.

which seemed to settle things for me. I was just wondering if there was something beyond the visual quality. Thanks.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 21, 2009
v6, I had interpreted the original question »Is there a reason why I shouldn’t just do all my work within this format?« to mean that You considered abandoning the psd- or tif-format completely and working exclusively in pdf-files, keeping the layered files as such by choosing »Preserve Photoshop-Editability«.
Pdfs for presentation- and print-purposes are of course indispensable, but for the creation-, editing- and layout-process I would advise to work in psd (or tif) and »Save As« flattened pdf-copies as the occasion necessitates.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Feb 23, 2009
….and to add to Christoph’s explanation of his answer…

My first post was only commenting on the post that immediately preceded it. I never addressed the original question by recommending any particular file format. I was just comparing GIF and PDF.

I personally would stick with PSD as the working format and save out another format to pass off for review by clients.

If you are looking for convenience of conversion for a client copy, check out the various automation functions of Photoshop. You might make it a simple one-click issue to make a duplicate file in another format.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 23, 2009
Ok, thanks for the additional explanation.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections