P
Posted By
Pamturk
May 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am preparing a jpg. The jpg will include the pictures of several different advertisers. Unfortunately for what I am doing, I can only use 1 jpg; that is why I need to incorporate several advertisers into one. Each of the 3 advertisers have their own url that i want to hyperlink to.

Is there a way to have one file that has 3 hyperlinks? I have other ADOBE products .. perhaps they can be use. The final result has to be a gif or a jpg.

Thanks you

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
May 31, 2007
you can create an image map and link different slices of the gif or jpg to a different url.
P
Pamturk
May 31, 2007
Thanks … I saw that but can’t find specific instructions on how to do that

Does it have to be done in IMAGE READY?

Any help is appreciated!! I am under a deadline

Thanks
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 1, 2007
Does it have to be done in IMAGE READY?

it can. what version of photoshop do you have? if you have image ready, it’s pretty easy. see image maps and/or slicing (slice or slice tool) in the help file.
P
Pamturk
Jun 1, 2007
I have CS2 …. I went into Image Ready and looked in the help file; not very helpful; can’t get it to work

cna someone give me easy steps?
thanks so much
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 1, 2007
Even if you do this in IR, you’ll still have to export the HTML generated to your HTML editor and incorporate it into the page. You’d be much better off doing all the hyperlinking in Dreamweaver or whichever web authoring package you are using.
P
Pamturk
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks for your response. However, I can’t break down a jpg so that it has 3 hyperlink areas (each going somewhere differnet) in Front Page.

Again, I need to take one jpg and have 3 or 4 different hyperlink areas. I know this is probably a cinch to do .. but can’t find good step by step directions!
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 1, 2007
I can’t break down a jpg so that it has 3 hyperlink areas

You don’t "break down" the Jpeg. Simply add hyperlink "Hot Spots" in your HTML Editor.

I know this is probably a cinch to do

It is – in Front Page. This is not a Photoshop issue. Hyperlinking is done via the web page’s HTML not on the image itself.

but can’t find good step by step directions!

In the FP Help Files, search for Hot Spots.

Chris
P
Pamturk
Jun 1, 2007
I knew it was easy …. just had to get my memory jogged.

Thanks so much.

I did it and then linked the site to that.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 1, 2007
Glad to help
P
Pamturk
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks but it didn’t work completely

I prepared the jpg and my site ..here is the link

<http://www.pamelaturk.com/Chabad%20Advertising.htm>

(each of the business cards links up to another site, I do know the first one isn’t working right)

However, when I take the jpq url itself: <http://www.pamelaturk.com/advertising.jpg> and use that in a program (constant contact) it no longer has the hot spots … I can email you a sampe if I had your email address. No way to link it to here.

Can you try and help me please. I am in a pinch!! Thanks
P
Pamturk
Jun 1, 2007
Maybe for what I need to do, I have to prepare it and export the html as indicated in an earlier post.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 1, 2007
and use that in a program (constant contact) it no longer has the hot spots …

the jpg doesn’t contain any direction. it’s in the html (as you indicate in your above post).

I have to prepare it and export the html as indicated in an earlier post.

yes.

if you’re going to be emailing these around keep in mind that many people turn off html in their mail programs because of the nasty suprised that can be pulled off via html and scripting.
P
Pamturk
Jun 1, 2007
I found a solution. I prepared a jpg. That jpg is linked to my webpage that contains the jpg with the hotspots. It’s an extra step but will be cleaner.

Thanks
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 1, 2007
To be honest, a much more elegant solution would be to make each "business card" an individual jpeg and place each on the page using html. That way you can allocate a hyperlink directly to each placed image without the need for hotspots.

It will make future updates easier too, especially if you keep to a standard size.

Also, you shouldn’t use spaces when naming your pages. The browser has to throw up a [%20] to deal with it and some older browsers will bomb out on it altogether. The use of upper case in URLs is not a good idea either.

Google for www3 for a white paper on the accepted practise.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections