Selecting Layer within Group? (Similar to double clicking to select layer not in group?)

J
Posted By
jezzthisisfull
Feb 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, in the same way one can double-click on an object to select its ungrouped layer in the Layers Palette, is there a way to select the individual layer of an object which is on a layer that is grouped with other layers in the Layers Palette?

Whenever I double-click on an object which is on a layer that is grouped with other layers in the Layers Palette, the entire group is selected. I would like to select an individual layer within the group.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
peggyyy
Feb 10, 2009
I’m guessing this is what you are looking for. If i right click on a layer, an option box pops up with that layer name on top. I select that and now that layer is active.

hope this helps
J
jezzthisisfull
Feb 10, 2009
no, no, sorry… in a document with no groups if a circle on a layer is double-clicked upon, the layer with the circle is selected….

ok, now suppose there is a document with a group of three layers…one of the grouped layers has a circle on it, another of the grouped layers has a square on it, and another layer in the group has a triangle. If the circle in this document is double clicked the entire group of three layers is selected; if the square in this document is double clicked the entire group of three layers is similarly selected, etc. How can one select just the layer with the circle, not the group of three layers?

How can a person select just a layer in a group, not the group in which the layer exists?

Sorry this question is so convoluted…its been a lonnnnnng day…..

thanks again
J
jezzthisisfull
Feb 10, 2009
Oh…you are almost right…very helpful…sorry it took me a while (very exhausting day)…yes, it is as if a person were to right click on, say, a circle, to then select the layer with the circle…

that is helpful, thank you

but

is there a direct technique rather than right clicking and selecting from a long list of possible layers? For example, is it possible to do something like Option+Double Click to select the individual circle layer within a group, straightforwardly?

Thanks again
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 11, 2009
Uncheck select groups, check select layers in the Move Tool’s Option Bar.
J
jezzthisisfull
Feb 11, 2009
THAT’S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK OU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOX WHOO HOOO!!
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 11, 2009
You are welcome! Don’t forget to stick around to help others when you can!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections