CK
Posted By
Christine Krof Shock
Aug 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 8 must be very close to release…How do I know–I saw Photoshop 7 Classroom in a Book on sale at Sam’s Club for $24.95…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 29, 2003
Ha! That’d be one indicator… I’m betting 45 days.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 29, 2003
The way to really tell is when Chis Cox shows up a lot. πŸ™‚

Usually means that he’s done his job and the software is ready to go.

Bob
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 29, 2003
You noticed that too, eh?

All the U2U veterans know about that one. πŸ™‚

Bob
AB
Andrew Bokelman
Aug 29, 2003
Other signs are:

1. Adobe has been selling Photoshop 7 at a discount (offer ends today).

2. The first notice of a Photoshop 8 book has appeared. It’s on the Amazon U.K. website.
BC
bart.cross
Aug 29, 2003
Yeah Chris, you started re-appearing about five weeks ago after a lenghty hiatus.
TH
Tina Hayes
Aug 30, 2003
Ooooooooooo….my birthday is September 10th, boy would that make a good present! πŸ˜€ (Even if I have to wait)
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Aug 30, 2003
Mine is 9-17.

How ’bout it Adobe? Long time since I bought myself a birthday present.

PS: Am I gonna hafta switch from W2K to XP to get PS8 to run properly?
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2003
On 9-4 (my birthday), on my way in for jury duty, I’d like to stop at Fry’s for a copy of Illustrator 11, so I can read the manual, while waiting for judges and lawyers.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2003
My Birthday was in June – you’re late.
BC
bart.cross
Aug 31, 2003
9/23, still have a chance!
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 31, 2003
Mine’s 4/3 – I’m going to wait for 8.0.1
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2003
Christine,

All I see is a bunch of second stringers here. I’ve had PS 9.0.1(!) running on my machine for two months now. <lol>

The truth is, everyone here is just guessing. If anyone knows the actual answer prior to the official Adobe announcement, he’s either best-guessing or in serious violation of an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

"Those who know can’t tell. Those who tell don’t know."

Neil
RK
Rob Keijzer
Sep 1, 2003
Why is everyone so eager to get it a microsecond after it is released?

I’m still on DOS 3.1! You know, with a tiny monochrome screen with 25 rows of "bad command or file name" burned into the phosphor.

Just kidding.

Rob
HD
hot_denim
Sep 1, 2003
Chris Cox;

Noting you work for adobe, and taking account this refusal to disclose info on unrealsed stuff ………… Could ‘You’ tell us the bare minimum for a usable Photoshop 8 ?. Note Photoshop 7 stated it required P-III. But it ran on a AND k6-2, a PENTIUM-2 Class processor.. one of a subset of the instruction set of the Pentium-3. (I programmed in assembly langauge… so I know why a program would/would not require a specific processor (or better)).
CW
Colin Walls
Sep 1, 2003
h_d:

You might find this site helpful: <http://www.learn2type.com>

πŸ™‚
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 1, 2003
HD

Chris can’t even tell you that PS 8 exists, until Adobe announces it. So how could he tell you what hardware it requires.

Patience, patience, everyone.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 1, 2003
Good one Colin.
HD
hot_denim
Sep 1, 2003
Colin / YrbkMgr

I Can type OK, spelling and structered sentances are the problem i believe you are having.

I Can even spell and structure sentances to a level that would not indeicate a problem to you if I wanted to. The reason why it does not happen venery time is because sometimes I have a set amount of time to do something including this post and priorites take place, and therfore somtings end up degraded due to time limits etc…

I do however manage to type ‘straight’ now and again to ensure I am in shape.

It somethign I have to live with……… Not too bad for me….
CW
Colin Walls
Sep 1, 2003
Sorry H_D – I was just pulling your chain. πŸ™‚
W
wes
Sep 1, 2003
Just reported on an E-mail that I received a couple of minutes ago. Announcement will be made at the end of September and shipments out sometime in October. Nothing specific as to exact time.

"Colin Walls" wrote in message
W
wes
Sep 1, 2003
Sorry to post again, just thought I would post the quoted words " August 29, 2003
Photoshop 8 coming to a theater near you soon
Thinking about upgrading your Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign? Well, you may want to hold off for a while. According to Microsoft Watch, there will be new versions out the end of September (shipping in October).

"wes" wrote in message
Just reported on an E-mail that I received a couple of minutes ago. Announcement will be made at the end of September and shipments out
sometime
in October. Nothing specific as to exact time.

"Colin Walls" wrote in message

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 1, 2003
I dunno. I have always been of the opinion that if you want to be taken seriously, communicate as if you are serious.

Spelling errors aside, you have an opportunity to preview your message before posting. You can proof it and correct it if you wish. It seems to me that you do not wish to do so. That being the case, if you don’t take a bath, don’t take offense at being called dirty. It’s your choice <shrug>.
HD
hot_denim
Sep 2, 2003
YrbkMgr

I believe I am communicating that I am serious, proof reading would take ‘time’. ‘Time’ is the issue that is the cause of the problem..if……IF…. IF I had allll the ‘time’ in the worrrrld, I cannot think of why it would not be possible for previwing posts.

I post to a level of where I hope that I ask the question to level of understadability that can provide the answer with ease… amongt the spellings and bad structure.. Its good enough to get the job done…. I know of others who do not do this even thogh there posts do not exibit my problems (odd posters, not the usuals)… ( < thinking back) on Which posts can ‘something be done’.. ie replies Be made?………………………………..,………,…… ………..,…………., . . . i’m not rich enough to spend more on my posts….
BC
bart.cross
Sep 2, 2003
HD: Get off your butt and quit being so lazy, your ongoing excuses for poor form is pathetic.
HD
hot_denim
Sep 2, 2003
ID. Awe :

Lazy / Butt ?;….,…,…,…,..,. But I am not being lazy etc… if I AM doing othe things with my time ?… .. ., And why would I lie………
KC
Kevin Connery
Sep 2, 2003
Miscommunication takes a lot longer, even in the short run, than taking a few seconds to review a post.

First there’s the fuzzy, ambiguous message with lots of typos, that’s ignored by many because it’s an apparent troll–so there’s a delay before anyone responds, and many of the more knowledgable choose not to.

Then there’s the second round, where the poor, downtrodden victim of insufficient time has to restate everything to try to explain again, except that now there’s two separate–and usually mutually exclusive–posts on what might be one topic are out, confusing things further.

Then there’s the third through Nth rounds, until the victim of insufficient time has wasted hours of his time trying to explain why he doesn’t have any time, AND still doesn’t have an answer to the problem he could have had days/weeks earlier. If only he had been able to spend a few extra seconds…instead of wasting dozens of readers’ time, and his own, complaining of not having time.

If there’s no time to do it right once, where will the time to redo it come from?

But this never comes up in any online forum; everyone is telepathic, and already know what you want.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 2, 2003
I have a feeling that one of three conditions exist with HD:

1. English is not his primary language
2. He is handicapped in some way (I can’t get Steven Hawkings out of my mind)
3. He just doesn’t care what he posts

Numbers 1 & 2 are forgivable, and if that’s the case HD, say so, and no one will ever bother you about it again. That’s a legit reason for cryptic posts.

But #3? No reason you can’t put forth as much effort as the rest of us.

As I say, if you don’t want to be called lazy, don’t be lazy.

Kevin,

If there’s no time to do it right once, where will the time to redo it come from?

That’s a modification of my very favorite saying:

"If you don’t have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to do it over?"
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
I think we need to be more general in what we ask Chris. For instance, I’m thinking of buying a new or used computer on a tight budget and I have no intentions of running Premiere Pro of Encore. With that in mind, if Chris were me, would he get it running windows 98, 2000, or XP… and what would be the slowest processor he would consider getting along with the least amount of memory if this computer needed to last him for say… at least the next 6-8 months?

Not that I expect him to answer this one either but you get my drift? πŸ˜‰
SG
Stephen Gilkes
Sep 2, 2003
I would say that PhotoShop 8 (along with InDesign 3, Illustrator 11 and GoLive 7 will be announced on Monday 8th September to coincide with the Seybold Seminars in San Francisco.

Mind you, this is just an educated guess.

This would also be in time for the Apple Expo in Paris the week after
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 2, 2003
Good Guess Stephen … this might wind up being an announcement pool!
HD
hot_denim
Sep 2, 2003
YrbkMgr

Numbers 1 & 2 are forgivable, and if that’s the case HD, say so, and no one will ever bother you about it again. That’s a legit reason for cryptic posts. But #3? No reason you can’t put forth as much effort as the rest of us.

No I have NOT 1 or 2 properties.

As I say, if you don’t want to be called lazy, don’t be lazy.

…..but I say again, as Ive mentioned it was NOT due to ‘lazyness’ read prior post on the reply to the assumed ‘lazyness’.

………….. ?
HD
hot_denim
Sep 2, 2003
Kevin

It was believed to have done ‘right’ the first time……, maybe you could not see the ‘rightness’ within it……. look at it from other angles etc.. (and why should I you ask yourself ?… , ive allready answered that question)
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Too bad you can’t compose all your messages with Zaph Dingbats, H_D.
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Segen – XP, 2.0 Ghz P4, 512 Meg RAM at a minimum.

(98 is dead ended, and XP fixes bugs still in 2000)
TM
Trevor Morris
Sep 2, 2003
Aww crap! I guess it’s back to Deluxe Paint for this wannabe graphic designer…and just when I was beginning to like Photoshop ;-).
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Well, that’s what I’d recommend — but it has nothing to do with Photoshop….
B
BillJ
Sep 2, 2003
I’m guessing there will be a Photoshop 8 announcement at NAPP’s Photoshop World in Miami Beach the end of September. I was hoping to go, especially since I live in Ft. Lauderdale, but it’s 3 days in the middle of the week, and you can’t go for just one day.
HD
hot_denim
Sep 2, 2003
Chris Cox;

…..so…. even under these agreements.. you cannot even mention the system requiremetns of P8 ?….

XP fixes bugs still in 2000

OK…it would being a updated version of ‘NT’ technology… but when ‘YOU’ say it do you still have a reason to say it considering if the latest service pack for win 2000 is applied. I.e. WinXP vs Win2000 (and a service pack released after winXP release) ?… If so, why so, as I cannot realise why ?.
GH
Grass Hopper
Sep 2, 2003
I’m in trouble … I am still running Win98SE ….

Edit: and the preview window is gone!!!
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
That’s right, I can’t talk about the product requirements.

But I’d only advise my enemies to run Win98/SE/ME.
HD
hot_denim
Sep 3, 2003
Chris Cox

…..and my Win XP vs Win2000 question ?… I’d like to know…I know that what I suspect may be better known by a winXp/win2000 programmer… Which I am not…
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2003
But I’d only advise my enemies to run Win98/SE/ME

Crap. I’ve been running 98SE reasonably flawlessly – haven’t had a BSOD in over a year. I HOPE that doesn’t mean that it won’t run on 98. If it does…. sigh.

Fwiw, I’m not asking for an answer, just complaining.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 3, 2003
So you’re saying that, for those for whom Windows XP has stepped over the pure evilness threshold, there is no way to run Photoshop on a PC.
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
HD – again, XP fixes bugs that are still in 2000.
V
viol8ion
Sep 3, 2003
But I’d only advise my enemies to run Win98/SE/ME.

Ah, Chris has a cruel streak. I like that….
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
FWIW, someone on another newsgroup posted today that Photoshop 8 will be released on September 28 during some expo or something.

Chris
SG
Stephen Gilkes
Sep 3, 2003
From Computer Weekly Website:

Adobe’s Creative Suite goes global

Adobe Systems is to roll out its Creative Suite collections of professional graphics software worldwide at the end of the month.

The Creative Suite will come in standard and professional editions and include the latest versions of several of Adobe’s applications.

Creative Suite Standard Edition includes Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Premium Edition adds GoLive and Acrobat 6.0 Professional.

Both bundles offer enhancements for users working in teams such as version control for documents, as well as a PDF workflow feature and training information.

The bundles are identical to the ones Adobe introduced in Italy in April last year, except that Creative Suite Premium Edition in Italy also includes Premiere, Adobe’s video-editing application.

The full price for Standard Edition is Β€1,499 (Β£1,034) and Premium Edition costs Β€1,799 (Β£1,241), according to Adobe Italy’s online store.

Pricing for the bundles that will be sold worldwide is expected to be similar. Adobe is also expected to offer discounted upgrade pricing for existing customers.

< http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticle ID=124563&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=6&liCha nnelID=1&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1>
BC
bart.cross
Sep 3, 2003
It’s pretty lame when you include an SW like GoLive in the "Professional" edition. Now if they offerd Premiere instead, I’d be hooked, besides I already own it all except GL which sucks.

Can’t get enough of MX Studio.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 3, 2003
There is a need to move files between print and Web. Combining InDesign with gOlive makes some sense, when you don’t want to use PDF.
TH
Tina Hayes
Sep 3, 2003
Oh Godddddddddd!!! I hope Adobe isn’t going to make it so I can’t run the upgrade!

I have a poopy CyrixII 366 MMX with 320 MB RAM. (4 of that dedicated to video) Which is not great, but since I do all sceen display work for the web it serves me. I rarely do anything that requires large high res files for print.

While I can put one more 128 MB stick in to max it out at it’s 512 capibility I *cannot* afford to buy a new machine!

* Holding breath praying that the upgrade will still be more RAM dependant than processor dependant*

I can’t live without the latest PS! πŸ™
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
Β“Well, that’s what I’d recommend — but it has nothing to do with Photoshop…. Β“

HmmΒ… Well folks, I tried. This could be a wink and a nod answer bit if so, the requirements have jumped a lot since all you needed was a Pentium 3 and 128MB of ram for 7Β….
IΒ’ve been thinking about the whole OS thing a bit too. Encore was a new product and Premiere was apparently pretty much rebuilt from the ground up which could explain part of why they had the XP requirement. I imagine that both products were started from day one with XP in mindΒ… Photoshop on the other hand is an older product and since there hasnΒ’t been a 7.5 (unless that is what they are giving us) they probably arenΒ’t doing a Premiere style overhaul of it so unless specific new features required XP (and it seems like in Premiere a lot of the XP stuff is coming from enhancements to the way the entire program runs rather than just specific tools) it doesnΒ’t seem likely to me that Photoshop will require XPΒ… Then again, I havenΒ’t done a thing with programming since I left school so I really have no idea what IΒ’m talking about.
IΒ’m just happy that I have a computer that exceeds his recommendations. That means I should be safe anyway. πŸ˜€
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
Tina, I donΒ’t think the 366 processor technically meets the requirements of Photoshop 7 let alone what 8 will probably requireΒ… But then again, if you can run 7 on what you have now anyway, you might be able to get away with it. Who knows?… (well, Chris does but he understandably doesnΒ’t seem to be too talkative on the subject)
RH
r_harvey
Sep 3, 2003
it doesnΒ’t seem likely to me that Photoshop will require XP

Acrobat Professional requires XP, while Standard requires Win98SE or later.

Let’s see, I can buy new software, or I can buy the new hardware required to run it, but I can’t afford both. A Gift of the Majai quandary, here.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2003
You said it Harv…
HD
hot_denim
Sep 3, 2003
366MHZ processor ?…. Thats A Pentium-II class right…. IF or IF not the application requires Pentium-2 at least then it WILL run (as far as i know with the knowledge i considered).. P7 requires a Pentium-3 class as adobe says… but this is UNTRUE as It runs on Pentium-2 Class…. If it Does run.. It will be slow in the following areas and not a SLUG overall, so can still be usable; e.g. Updating layer effects, more complicates brush strokes, filters etc…… I.e. operations.. Thoughts should go into if you can bear the slowness in this areas…and how slow….
CR
Christopher R
Sep 3, 2003
If Acrobat Pro 6 requires XP then I’m in a lot of trouble for running it on 2000
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2003
Harvey,

Just go to Mexico, sell a kidney and you should be able to afford both Β– problem solved! πŸ˜€
RH
r_harvey
Sep 4, 2003
If Acrobat Pro 6 requires XP…

It requires a late-model Windows NT based OS.
TH
Tina Hayes
Sep 4, 2003
PS 7 runs pretty well for me, I did have to put in a 128 MB stick of RAM when I got it becuase it was indeed painfully slow. But once I added the extra RAM all was well.

Like I said…I’m not normally working with 300 ppi files either…it’s all for web display. The few times I have needed to do something for print I’ve used 200 ppi, and yes, this was really really slow rendering time.

So all in all I can honestly say this this poopy processor (yes P2 ‘class’) has handled every updrade since V5 quite well for what I use it for.
EB
ellie brown
Sep 4, 2003
Tina,

Dell has computers for $500 – $600 that run rings around the ones I spent thousands for in the past.

You ought to take a look.

ellie
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
Dell. Hrmph..

Sorry no wars intended, personal comment I couldn’t resist.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 4, 2003
compusa has a sale this weekend (or is that tonight only… check if interested) – $299 for a p4 2.4 celeron after rebates.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 4, 2003
Tony,

What’s wrong with Dell. I recommend them to friends and co workers all the time. You can’t beat their performance and service for the price.
V
viol8ion
Sep 4, 2003
What’s wrong with Dell. I recommend them to friends and co workers
all the time. You can’t beat their performance and service for the price.

When I have computer novice friends that want a relaible and inexpensive box, I always recommend Dell. Gateway sucks,a nd they are usually more expensive. Compaq consumer models bite, and have for many years now. And with the HP/Compaq merge… who knows what is up either brand’s future…
PH
Photo Help
Sep 4, 2003
viol8ion,

When I have computer novice friends that want a relaible and inexpensive box, I always recommend Dell.

Same here. If I make a bad recommendation my friends know I work on computers for a living so it is in my best interest to recommend a reliable system. I know that is what they get with dell. I also know that if for some reason they do have a problem Dell will take care of it.
CW
Colin Walls
Sep 4, 2003
Tony:
I’ll tell you my Dell story next week …
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2003
Gateway sucks,a nd they are usually more expensive.

I, on the other hand always recommend Gateway; have five of ’em. I’m chief cook and bottle washer for family and friends where PC’s are concerned (as are many of you for your friends and family). Incidents are extremely low, and resolutions are extremely easy.

There’s nothing that sucks about Gateway. Great components, great flexability in case design, intelligent internal cable routing for upgrades and the like. Never been happier.

Dell on the other hand, uses more sex and less substance on most components. I don’t like their chassis nor the access points to components. Years ago, they didn’t want users changing components and used to use those star type screws to prevent anyone but a "technician" from changing components, and had severe design flaws that resulted in over heating.

Of course, today that’s not true, it’s just a prejudice from the past.

The ONE thing about Dell is airflow/heat dissipation. If you use Speed Step technology chips, Dell cases are made of ABS plastic and don’t dissipate the internal heat very well (also true of their laptops), and airflow design is very poor resulting in the processor stepping down speed to reduce heat.

The fact is, Gateway or Dell will run perfectly out of the box in the hands of a novice.

Dell laptops are poorly designed, especially for wireless (and so are Gateways for that matter); if you are in the market for a laptop and buy anything but an IBM ThinkPad, it’s a mistake. Period. Best design on the planet.

Hewlett-Compackard cannot make a good consumer level box. The Compaq server line is outstanding, which is the main reason HP bought them. HP is not in touch with the home user market and I would recommend them right up there with Acer.

Well, you asked <grin>

Peace,
Tony
SM
Steve mclaughlin
Sep 4, 2003
I went to a technology conference in Long Beach several months ago, and Adobe person was there, who was demonstrating In-Design. Of course the Adobe folks are usually Mac people in the graphics world. Anyway, Dell provided the computers for Adobe and Macromedia to use and the Adobe guy couldn’t get over how well the Dells performed.

I couldn’t believe my ears, but I thought that was a ringing endorsement for Dell. He carried on about the speed for the first several minutes of the demonstration. I have always preferred the Mac side for graphics, but my college does not support Macs. So, I teach and work on a PC. By the way, the College is putting a new Dell in for me this month, so I’m not too disappointed.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 4, 2003
When I have computer novice friends that want a relaible and inexpensive box, I always recommend Dell.

Me, too. And I always set them up for the my computer illiterate friends. Additionally, when I buy one for myself, I wipe the harddrive, partition it and reinstall Windows.

Dell may produce great machines, but those O/S images aren’t as stable as a clean install from the CD. BTW, this goes for all OEM PCs.

Bob
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 5, 2003
And I want this one. A labtop with a 7.200RPM HD.

<http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51m.aspx>
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 5, 2003
Alienware – supreme gamer machines. My Nephew has a desktop system. Sex in a can.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 5, 2003
alienware overpriced overhyped. buy bare bones. build your own. go googlegear.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah Dave, but the package is targetted for the right market. It’s a good looking package and always decked out. Plus, most of my Nephews friends can’t build their own. <shrug>.
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 5, 2003
I am speaking about the LabTop.
It has an Hitachi 7200rpm Hd while most others max out at 5400 or even 4.800. Big difference.

BTW. Where can I get a MOBO for LabTops.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 5, 2003
LabTops

Laptops – sorry, just wanted to make it clear.

Where can I get a MOBO for LabTops

From the manufacturer of the laptop – maybe. But why would you want one?
V
viol8ion
Sep 5, 2003
On the Gateways I have found they tend to be more expensive than a comparable Dell… maybe that was a quirk on the ones that I checked. I know 2 people that have gateways and they both had problems and a difficult time resolving them (though the problems were resolved to theior satisfaction, to gateway’s credit).

We do have Gateways at the art center on which I sit on the board. I am pushing to have Dell or Michael Dell provide boxes as a donation. Gateway was not interested in anything but selling us boxes, and I think we paid way too much, but we got them on a lease so I can’t complain. And they do perform admirably.

Alienware makes awesome boxes, but the one I am buidling will be better and less expensive. But for someone that doesn’t want to be bothered building their own and wants a gaming box, Alienware is the way to go.

Best Buys makes their own box that is half the price of Alienware, and just as good… but they seem to have disappeared off the shelves lately. $1500 was the average price and they were superb systems for gamers.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 5, 2003
It’s not just a new version of Photoshop… just about every Adobe application (except, of course, LiveMotion and FrameMaker) is being updated, each with heavier hardware requirements. Cost aside, imagine the productivity in the week when the box of all new software arrives.

I’ll first upgrade the application that offers the most improvement. That’ll probably be InDesign 3.

All new software, requiring all new hardware… after 17 years on a PC, this may be when I look at Macintosh.
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 6, 2003
YrbkMgr

But why would you want one?

I want to build special units for traveling photographers doing Special Events. The MOBO is needed for these units.
I am also looking for labtop LCDs they are much thinner and lighter as regular LCDs with far less power requirements.
B
Bernie
Sep 6, 2003
I have a Dell and recently purchased a Gateway. Gateway offered the high end components I wanted…Dell didn’t…

I liked the Dell overall, but Dell has went to hell in a handbasket since they started sending all their tech calls to India and Pakistan.

Honest, I talked to one of those foreign techs late one night and I kept hearing a squeeky screen door opening and slamming shut and chickens clucking in the background. I think they were operating a a dual purpose business: Dell tech support and a whore-house combo. I’m afraid to think of how the chickens fit into the scheme of things.

Anyway, Dell used to be Johnny-on-the-spot with short waits on the phone and decent support….now, you wait for an hour and get some guy you can’t even understand and you have to ask them to say everything 3 times.

Every time I call Gateway, I get someone in the US who is friendly and understandable.

Now, if only we could get computer components built in the US…. I’d be happy to pay twice as much knowing I’m not supporting the military build-up of our enemies. How’s that for a paranoid conspiracy theory? Hehehehe. πŸ˜‰
PH
Photo Help
Sep 6, 2003
Tom,

Sorry I don’t see any "high end components" that Gateway has that Dell doesn’t. In fact quite the opposite. I see a lot of things Gateway doesn’t have at all, let alone options.

Gateway seems to have moved exclusively to home computers and a little bit of gaming. Dell offers a wide range of affordable options for businesses. Gateway has no workstation configurations. SCSI hard drives aren’t even an option. Very few video card choices.

I do agree with you on tech support but when it comes right down to it Dell is still a better computer. Tech support matters little if you never need to use it πŸ™‚

Gateway used to be highly configurable back when everything was mass produced by Compaq, Packard Bell\HP, IBM, etc…But it has been nearly 10 years since Gateway was at the top of their game. If things keep going the way they are now in 2 years they will only have 3 computer models and 4 kinds of flat panel TV’s.

Every time I look on their site they have fewer options. They don’t even make servers anymore. Unisys < http://www.unisys.com/products/midrange__servers/es3020__2_d _processor__server.htm> used to brand Gateway servers as their own, now they use Dell. That says a lot considering Unisys services their branded computers.

Of course you could always get an Allienware <http://www.alienware.com/System_Pages/mj-12_3200.aspx>. however if I were going to spend that kind of money I would build it myself.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 6, 2003
Of course you could always get an Allienware. however if I were going to spend that kind of money I would build it myself.

correction. if you wanted to spend half that money you would build it yourself…
PH
Photo Help
Sep 6, 2003
Dave,

No spend the same money get more stuff πŸ™‚

Of course the reality is that we don’t have the money so you are right I would spend half as much.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 6, 2003
Norbert,

I want to build special units for traveling photographers doing Special Events

That’s a big task; I can’t believe you cannot find an already manufactured system that has what you want in it.

Photo Help,

I respect ya man, but have to disagree:

They don’t even make servers anymore

You mean like these? <http://www.gateway.com/work/products/sb_srv_catalog.shtml>

And I wouldn’t view the lack of a SCSI hard drive offering as meaning that they don’t have high end options. Gateway DOES offer 500GB SATA 7200rpm hard drive RAID 0 (2-250GB hard drives), which by many standards would be considered high end, especially for a home office or small business. Dell does NOT offer these.

Gateway seems to have moved exclusively to home computers and a little bit of gaming.

Not if you visit their site.

when it comes right down to it Dell is still a better computer

Depends on what you mean by better – ABS Plastic and poor airflow design? Then you’re right, cuz Dell has that.

Bottom line though, is it’s true, Gateway is geared more toward the home user – that’s a conscious strategy. Dell is sopping up the business market because of the hewlett-compackard merger and because IBM had slipped.

But just because Dell makes more offerings for business, a better computer does not make.

Both will work right out of the box. Dell better than Gateway? Not across the board. Oh, and I don’t like Gateway laptops, but the Dell laptops are horribly designed.

Peace (and a <smile>),
Tony
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 6, 2003
That’s a big task; I can’t believe you cannot find an already manufactured system that has what you want in it.

Any labtop build after 2000 can do this, but let one ungarded while you are roaming the field shooting pictures and strange thing will happen.

I use Cappuccinos and espressos from this company. They allow only 256 RAM. This Company also sells MOBOS. As for LCDs on the market they are too big I would like to have Labtop LCDs.

All build into a briefcase would be fine.

I might buy one of these.

<http://www.saintsong.com/english/products/latte-p.htm>
DM
dave milbut
Sep 6, 2003
Norbert, repeat after me…

LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP! LAPTOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 6, 2003
Dave,

Maybe he really means something that’s used in a Lab(oratory)…
P
Phosphor
Sep 6, 2003
IF (and there’s never been an "if" that big) I was a Windows using hack, I’d build my own system. No two ways about it.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 6, 2003
Tony,

Cool. I didn’t see the servers on their site when I looked.

As for Dell cases the only thing I don’t like is how they are hinged it makes it hard to work on them while they are running. But I am sure it makes it much easier to build them. Swapping anything from a power supply to a mother board is much easier. There are just times when it is nice to have the side cover off to hook up another drive. I liked their 4100 case design much better.

The airflow actually seems to be fine on the cases. I think the plastic is irrelevant, but I could see how not having venting in the front of the case could be a problem if you have drives that run hot. But even cases with front venting don’t help the drive cage a whole lot. I haven’t seen any temperature problems with their new case design and they run very quiet. The fans seem to circulate the air through the case just fine.

I buy Dells because they are what we are used to. I know which models I like and why. If you buy Gateway machines I am sure you feel the same way about them.

Cases aside both companies use about the same components. They are evenly priced almost to the dollar if you quote similar systems and configurations.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 6, 2003
Photo Help,

The thing is, in regards to cases and all, you should check out the design of IBM. They are hinged to open from the front of the machine to the rear, they are entirely tool-less so that, for example, the drive cages snaps out. Also they are metal cases to help dissipate heat, especially in low profile systems.

Fwiw, IBM has won more desgin awards than all of their competitors combined, and especially in the Laptop Arena, where Speed Step technology is more likely to be implemented, they actually have water cooled systems.

So from that I’ve had a propensity to look closer at case design, accessability, and air flow. Now I should mention that *my* latest model Gateway is a 700 MHz Athalon (to give you an idea of how old it is). All metal, tower about knee high. I’m in love with the accessability and the intelligent cable routing – so my perspective is skewed, and it may not be true today.

In any event, I agree, that at some point it boils down to personal preference. I never liked Dell (although I admire Michael Dell – he’s the one who legitimized mail order PC’s), and my reasons for not liking them probably don’t hold up today.

It’s like I used to hate IBM machines because of MCA – but the fact is, they make the best business machines. This is what one of my reps says about IBM

"IBM is at the top of the heap when it comes to innovation; but they’re at the bottom of the heap when it comes to telling anybody about it".

Peace friend,
Tony
BC
bart.cross
Sep 7, 2003
Look at laptops from Angel or Electrocom, they can also give you that really high-end you are looking for.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 7, 2003
"IBM is at the top of the heap when it comes to innovation; but they’re at the bottom of the heap when it comes to telling anybody about it".

Which is why we’re all running winders instead of OS/2!

IBM shoulda been GIVING OS/2 away while MS locked the market with vaporware Win95 for about 2 1/2 years. Did they cut prices? No. Major marketing blitz? No. Tell the guy on the corner? Doubt it.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 7, 2003
IBM shoulda been GIVING OS/2 away while MS locked the market with vaporware Win95 for about 2 1/2 years.

Revisionism. As you’ll recall, MS was convicted of being a predatory monopoly. One of their crimes, of which they have been convicted, is exclusionary bundling–nobody was allowed to install any other operating system than theirs. This created a juggernaut that could not be penetrated.

MS had intended to replace the Win32 model with OS/2. Look at the MASM 6.0 manual, and you’ll see the game plan. It was only after the falling-out that MS somehow decided that the clunky and aged Win32 was better than OS/2. Most folks/companies (not individual techies…) had been using Windows 3.x for years, and were loathe to change.

Did they cut prices? No. Major marketing blitz? No. Tell the guy on the corner? Doubt it.

Becaue of MS’ illegal practices, OS/2 was pretty much over by the time Windows 95 shipped.

They pushed it as hard as they could. As you’ll recall, MS played hardball with IBM, right down to not allowing them to even test Windows 95 on their computers until they day before the operating system media blitz began–IBM was still shipping Windows 3.1 when Windows 95 shipped, and it took IBM months to recover.

That’s one reason IBM has invested a billion in Linux–if they can’t control the game themselves (which I’m sure they would like), they believe in freedom of choice for users.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
r_harvey is right on the money. Bingo.

A little trivia – IBM employees are not allowed to run Microsoft application suites like MS Office. They’ve standardized on Lotus. If an excel spreadsheet comes into corporate, it’s converted to Lotus.

Funny.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 8, 2003
Funny.

What’s funny about that? IBM owns Lotus.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Sep 8, 2003
What’s funny about that?

Apparently you’ve never tried WordPro. Now, that’s funny.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 8, 2003
Apparently you’ve never tried WordPro. Now, that’s funny.

AmiPro was one of the best word processors out there. I was devastated when my company dropped it for Word.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Sep 8, 2003
AmiPro was one of the best word processors out there.

I bought WordPro96 when it first came out… never worked as well as AmiPro; I tried again a couple of years ago, and it couldn’t handle big files. It should have evolved into a good program for writing documentation. I can’t imagine what happened to it.
BC
Brian Cushing
Sep 8, 2003
Who cares?
RH
r_harvey
Sep 8, 2003
People who don’t want one word processor to rule the world.

There used to be many… WordStar, MultiMate, PC-Write, and a dozen more–all forced out of the market by a vicious preditor, not by having a better product. As things progress now, upgrades are issued when the convicted predatory monopolist wants more money.

A free market is a nice thing.
CK
Christine Krof Shock
Sep 8, 2003
Sorry I missed out on this thread–been helping husband build the LanBoy–bigger than a laptop but still somewhat portable. For under a grand we have P4 hyperthread, 2 120 gig drives 1 gig of RAM and more goodies (but no water cooling–hubby wanted that bad–told him didn’t want bong in second machine!) and bubble lights!!!! (Comp USA and Newegg had a sale–couldn’t resist.)

Build them yourself!! It’s not rocket science (or I couldn’t do it–even with hubby hanging over shoulder directing my every move) Maximum PC can help! Finally got it working almost by my own little lonesum! Now I just have to get it loaded! and find a sherpa to help me haul it around!
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 8, 2003
Dave finally I got it:
Lab: apreviation of Laboratory.
Lap: noun of where the babes (LAPTOPS) can sit.

Took me time to figure this out.

Thanks for putting it that blunt.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 8, 2003
Revisionism.

Hardly.

Becaue of MS’ illegal practices, OS/2 was pretty much over by the time Windows 95 shipped.

There was a good 2 years or more where ms was blowing smoke over win 95 when there was no product. Starting in 92 or 93. IBM sat back and did nothing. Then got burned because of the hype from ms just rolled right over them when it finally was released. They should have been selling os/2 for disk cost ($5-10) that whole time between the MS/IBM split and the release of 95. They knew what was coming, they didn’t take it seriously.

until they day before the operating system media blitz began

MS was hyping win95 for YEARS before it’s release. The advent of vaporware.

Thanks for putting it that blunt.

Sorry. ! πŸ™‚ I just didn’t want you to get laughed out of the vendor’s offices when you insisted on buying a bunch of labtops! <g>
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 8, 2003
Dave

I am loathe to join in on this off topic thread, but I have to ask what IBM gains by selling OS2 at cost? Somewhere there has to be a profit involved, doesn’t there?

I mean, you don’t get zillions of dollars for market share, unless you are actually selling the stuff.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 8, 2003
MS was hyping win95 for YEARS before it’s[sic] release. The advent of vaporware

As they did other products, earlier. Vaporware predates Windows 95 by many, many years… though I don’t doubt that MS did some groundbreaking research and innovation in that field.

There was a good 2 years or more where ms was blowing smoke over win 95 when there was no product.

Developers had it long before August 12, 1995. Of course it took a dozen lawyers before they’d give a beta to Apple in about March, so that they could update QuickTime.

Starting in 92 or 93. IBM sat back and did nothing.

Innept marketing, of course, but the OS/2 furor (if there ever was such a thing), ended about that time. MS ensured that hardware suppliers didn’t ship it, and software developers didn’t support it. I understand that it had some nice bundled games, though.

They knew what was coming, they didn’t take it seriously.

The party was already over. They knew it–they saw their own sales figures.
DM
dave milbut
Sep 8, 2003
I am loathe to join in on this off topic thread, but I have to ask what IBM gains by selling OS2 at cost

market share.

anyway, it’s a windows world now.
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 8, 2003
Market share is only worth something if you are selling at a profit.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 8, 2003
One word–Dell.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
Market share is only worth something if you are selling at a profit

Give away OS, sell application suites for that OS = profit.
B
Bernie
Sep 8, 2003
Two syllables: Gate-way…….hehehe πŸ˜‰

Unless you like to support mid-eastern techs that live with their chickens and still think it’s ok to behead people.

I prefer talking to good ‘ol Hank from South Dakota. Chickens are in the barn where they belong. Understandable, friendly and you know your pc dollars aren’t being spent on RPG’s. Just my twisted, conspiracy theory infested opinion.

Now, if only we could have a computer with components completely made in the USA….that would be awesome…..and I’m not even a Union guy.

Am I alone, or would anyone else be willing to pay extra to buy a competively performing machine…completely built in the USA by a diverse workforce?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
Outside of "jobs" issues, what difference does it make whether it’s built in the US or not?
B
Bernie
Sep 8, 2003
See below….
B
Bernie
Sep 8, 2003
The difference for [me] is this: Let’s take China for instance…they have threatened to bury us over our support of Tawain’s independence. They knock our pilots out of the sky and hold them hostage, imprison anyone that wants to express their religious freedom, kill prisonsers (for as little as shoplifting offences) and harvest their organs for the black market…and on and on.

I’m not saying the US is perfect, but we’re angels compared to China, N. Korea, Cuba and all of the mideast countries combined.

Why help sift money into China if you have a choice?

I purposely buy US products when I have a choice which is often difficult. Job’s issues is reason enough for me though.

Ok …I’m finished …
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2003
Hmm… not sure how to respond without dragging this topic even further from center, so let me just say "I understand".

Peace,
Tony
PH
Photo Help
Sep 9, 2003
Tom,

Sorry man, but you can’t buy anything with any kind of technology that has all it’s parts made in the us. Honda’s have more US parts than "American Cars". I think the Harley Davidson parts with "Made in Japan" stamped on the side are particularly funny myself. Especially when the majority of Harley riders make fun of "Jap bikes".

Either we have more overpaid union labor workers making more stuff that would cost five times as much and no one could afford. Or we have more quality jobs assembling the cheap parts we buy over seas, get paid appropriately and have lower costs on products that we can afford.

The unions that once helped clean up work environments have now overvalued their worked to the point that they are no longer cost effective. Unfortunately when employees are overvalued they are replaced. The sad thing is that most of them do it to themselves. If you have a job making $20 an hour that a kid out of high school can learn in 1 week and they will do it for $7 an hour that should be a clue that you don’t want to strike just because you didn’t get $21 an hour in your new contract. People just don’t know how lucky they are and the sad thing is they have the nerve to think they aren’t making enough to live on! When they make as much or more than many 2 income families.

I thought it was funny when a local company shut down over a strike. They just made windows and the workers made more than about all the other factory workers in the area. Their contract came up and they asked for quite frankly much more than they where worth. The owner made a larger profit liquidating than they would have by keeping it open. So we are then left with 100 people out of work that aren’t even qualified to work at McDonald’s for $5 an hour. I guess they should have been happy when they were making 4 times that with full benefits, and profit sharing.

What it comes down to as sad as it may be is that most people need a reality check. Talk to your grandparents that lived through the depression, you would be amazed at what you can learn.

And don’t even get Me started on the outrageous debt people accumulate these days. Not on a comfortable home or a modest car but an extravagant house 2 SUV’s a sports car maybe a boat. A TV in every room. etc… Our days are numbered someday the credit bubble will pop and when it does people will start asking to be paid in full and that is what starts a little thing people used to call a depression!

Oh well this rant has gone on long enough. We now return to our regularly scheduled Topic.
JR
John R Nielsen
Sep 9, 2003
At the risk of returning to the topic, why doesn’t Adobe offer the Design Collection (say) as a bundle of upgrades, as well as full versions? But then, I’d have to wait for InDesign 3 to come out…
RH
r_harvey
Sep 9, 2003
But then, I’d have to wait for InDesign 3 to come out…

The story is, that they’re releasing the whole inventory at once (except FrameMaker and LiveMotion). They even held Illustrator back several months (hopefully, taking the time to polish its stability), to be able to show all the boxes at the same time.

MS delivers new versions of Word, Excel, P*w*rP**nt, and more on the same day, too.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 9, 2003
Two syllables: Gate-way…….hehehe πŸ˜‰

We were talking about companies making a profit.

Bob
MB
Moritz Baier
Sep 10, 2003
What do you guess, how many days do we still have to wait? I have no idea but i can’t wait to have it πŸ™‚
M
mistermonday
Sep 11, 2003
You can bet the big unveiling will be September 30th in Miami Florida at this year’s Photoshop World Conference & Expo. Regards, MM
DM
dave milbut
Sep 20, 2003
ok guys, my birthday is on monday. mind releasing version 8 then? thanks a bunch.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 20, 2003
Maybe you were born 9 days early.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections