DS
Posted By
Diane_Steele
Feb 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a square or rectangle image I want to round the corners and soften the edges when I use the refine edges box and select the feather amount (looks good) and hit OK it does not save my selection and goes back to the original image. How do I save it? Also how do I round the corners on a square or rectangle image?
Many thanks,
Diane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 6, 2009
You need to be on a regular (non-Background) Layer; then make your Selection/Refine Edge; and use it to create a Layer Mask.
DS
Diane_Steele
Feb 6, 2009
Thank you Ann for the reply. Yes, I have it background layer. How do I make it non-background? Also, do you mean rectangle marquee tool?
Thanks for your help!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 6, 2009
Double-click on the "Background Layer" to make it into a regular Layer.

The "Rounded Rectangle tool" is one of the shape tools in CS4 and is different from therectangle marquee tool.

Diane:

I get the impression that you are a very new user of Photoshop and suggest that you might like to consider buying the Lynda.com tutorials or Adobe’s "Classroom in a Book" — both of which I think that you would find helpful.
DS
Diane_Steele
Feb 6, 2009
Ann,
Got it "Regular Layer" thanks. I am running CS3. Is the shape tool in CS3? If not any other suggestions? I have been using PS for 9 years and it’s quite a journey. My neighbor has been on PS from the beginning and he did not know how to use the Refine Edge. Sorry to be so remedial. I really, really needed you help, thanks.
Diane
DS
Diane_Steele
Feb 6, 2009
Hi Ann. Found the "Rounded Rectangle tool" yeah!!!!!! Thank you again for helping me.
Many, many thanks,
Diane
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 6, 2009
I have been using PS for 9 years and it’s quite a journey.

It really is!

And one continues to discover more every day then, just when you think that you finally have it "sussed-out" — it’s Upgrade time again!

Glad that i could help.

🙂
R
Ram
Feb 7, 2009
<scratching head> How does anyone use Ps for nine years without discovering where the shape tool is? </scratching head>
DS
Diane_Steele
Feb 7, 2009
OK, this forum makes me feel stupid. I did say remedial &#9774; I am having a hard time again. Can you help me please? It’s easy to copy or cut and past with any of the marquee tools, even I can do that &#9734;&#9734;&#9734;. Why is it different for the Rounded Rectangle tool? Working on a layer then select radius and style (clear) I see the rounded edge outline then a new section in the layers pops up. 2 boxes Shape 1, &#10037;effects &#10037;stroke. They are white. I have used the &#10037;effects and &#10037;stroke before with text (only). How do I copy and past the image with the rounded edge I want? What am I doing wrong &#9785;
Super thanks for you help,
Diane
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 7, 2009
Try it this way:

Use the Rounded Rectangle tool to draw a Path (with corner radii of your choice).

In the Options Bar, make sure that you have the Unfilled Path icon selected (it’s the middle icon of the group of three icons to the left of the Option Bar).

Make a Selection from the Path; Â…by Cmd Clicking on the path which is now in your Paths palette.

and then make a Layer Mask from your Selection. Â… by clicking the Mask icon at the bottom of your Layers Palette.
R
Ram
Feb 7, 2009
Diane,

Ann has explained it to you. The Rounded Rectangle Tool is not a selection tool, but a drawing/painting tool. That’s why you need the extra steps.
DS
Diane_Steele
Feb 7, 2009
Dear Ann,
Hallelujah &#9834;&#9834;&#9834;&#9834; I have learned a great deal from you in this forum. I can’t thank you enough. If you were here I would give you a BIG HUG!
I am sooooo happy &#9786; I AM indeed grateful.
&#9774; be with you and this forum.
Diane
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 7, 2009
Diane:

Come back anytime — you are always welcome.
🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections