Resize image – the brain is willing, but the mind weak!

S
Posted By
Studentier
May 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, a simple question for all you clever people out there.

I want to resize an image (in CS2) to a minute thumbnail of about 1.5cm. The current image is 150 ppi and of course when I go image > resize and change the dimensions I get a lovely pixelated image!!

I kind of know somewhere in my head why this is, but I really need some help to point me in the right direction of the what to do next!!

Thankyou kindly

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JO
Jim_Oblak
May 25, 2007
When resizing, uncheck the resample box.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 25, 2007
First of all, you don’t tell is the size of the image as it is and you want it to be. And please use pixel dimensions, not cm or ppi.

When you make an image smaller you are discarding pixels…usually lots of them, so the image of course degrades. In the Image Size dialog you get several resampling options. Try Bicubic Sharper and see if that looks better.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 25, 2007
I think if you want to make a small thumbnail you have to resample.

Is this for the web?.
S
Studentier
May 25, 2007
Thanks Jim/ Ed

Ed – no its not for the web, its for a leaflet. I have a shape like a cross and want to fill it with the little pictures. Im not even sure that I dont want to be using Illustrator?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 25, 2007
Illy might be better.

If it’s for print you probably don’t want to resample. But 150 ppi is rather low for most print uses anyway.
JO
Jim_Oblak
May 25, 2007
And please use pixel dimensions, not cm or ppi.

Both size and resolution is important here. The problem is that Studentier only described ppi for the source image and cm for the target image. This is half the story. Describing both resolution (ppi) and physical dimensions (cm) are required for both the source and target sizes.

Even without this info, it appears that the source image is large in size (cm) and the target is small in size (cm). When one reduces the size of an image in Photoshop with ‘resampling’ unchecked in the ‘Image Size’ dialog, the resolution (ppi) increases.

The target resolution will be much greater than 150 ppi so there is no concern about print quality.
I
ID._Awe
May 26, 2007
Use ‘Save for Web’ you can resize the image, look at the quality and make all the adjustments you need for the purpose.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 26, 2007
This is for print, so Save for Web would not be appropriate.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections