DV
Posted By
Dick_Vreeswijk
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When trying to open a picture in .psd format I receive the message: Could not open xxx.psd because a color from an uninstalled color table was used.

Who knows what to do?
All other formats open without problem (jpg, gif)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobHill
Aug 17, 2004
Dick,

Where did this image come from? Did you create it yourself and if so, was it done in Elements? It sounds like the file has been corrupted somehow. If so, I doubt it’s fixable.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 17, 2004
Before you give up on it, download the freebie Irfanview – assuming you’re running Windows. It can occasionally open files that Elements can’t. If you’re able to get it open, use Irfanview to convert to another format, such as TIFF, and then try opening that one in Elements. If you’re on a Mac, look for a copy of GraphicConverter and try the same routine.

I don’t guarantee this will work, but in some situations it has helped other people recover image files that PSE wouldn’t open. Good luck!

Irfanview: <http://www.irfanview.com/>
DV
Dick_Vreeswijk
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks Beth, an excellent advice.
I’d never heard of Infraview before, but it can indeed open all the PSE files, and I can save them back as tiff or jpg. Then I can make a PSE file again with my own Photoshop Elements.

The problem (Bob) was that I received a cd with text for a book with ilustrations. 80% of the pictures was in pse format and I could open it for the reason mentioned in my question.

Anyway for everybody having problems with opening and converting picture formats, try Irfanview.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 17, 2004
I’m glad it worked for you Dick! I use a Mac, but I had to use GraphicConverter for a stubborn file once, and I’ve since been paying attention when people have discussed Irfanview for use under Windows. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections