"Open With" menu all messed up after CS4 install.

FC
Posted By
Forrest_Corbett
Jan 31, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got at completely fresh install of 10.5.6, and another person I know is having this same issue. In the "Open With" display in the Finder using a contextual menu, Photoshop is show a long, cryptic name. Specifically, it says: Adobe Photoshop CS4 (11.0 (11.0×20080919 [20080919.r488 2008/09/19/19:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]))

How do I make it just say "Adobe Photoshop CS4"?

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
That is how Apple’s Finder works!

I believe that there is a Haxie out there which gets over the problem but I try to steer clear of Haxies.

Use Bridge CS4, instead of the Finder, and you won’t have that problem.
FC
Forrest_Corbett
Jan 31, 2009
That is how Apple’s Finder works!

Eh, not so sure on that. It didn’t do it for CS3 or any other application, so it must be something specific to CS4. It doesn’t report the version number for any other application, except CS4.

Use Bridge CS4, instead of the Finder, and you won’t have that problem.

Yeah, but then I’d have a few dozen other problems with Bridge that the Finder doesn’t have.
P
Phosphor
Jan 31, 2009
No "Haxie" needed (as the term is usually understood). It’s a relatively simple edit with TextEdit.

If good luck is on the user’s side, the fix should be the same as it was for earlier versions that displayed the same behavior.

Have a CAREFUL read at the following link:
</16>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
Yeah, but then I’d have a few dozen other problems with Bridge that the Finder doesn’t have.

Such as?

Have you actually tried working with Bridge CS4 because it is a VERY different animal from previous versions and a number of operations which were previously done in Photoshop are now done from within Bridge CS4.

—–

Phos:

Your link appears to be broken.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 31, 2009
Ann, as far as I know you do not even use Leoaprd and 10.5.6. so how do you know what the Finder does or not int hat situation?

It doesn’t do it in 10.5.6 for me on any of my machines and I have never seen it anywhere. ctrl+clicking a document in the Finder in 10.5.6 and choosing Open with.. shows application names just normally.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
Nini:

Well it IS apparently doing it for Forrest on his machine running 10.5.6 … and I was just pointing out that it is known to happen in Apple’s Finder (as it certainly does in 10.4.11) for ALL of the Photoshop CS versions.

If you don’t see the long strings, I can only imagine that you must have applied Phos’s "edit" at sometime and have forgotten that you did so?

I never see the long names because I ONLY open my files from inside of Bridge CS4.
P
Phosphor
Jan 31, 2009
"Your link appears to be broken."

Stupid WebX scripting bug.

Clicking on the right side of that link works.

The unnecessary left part (up to the "cgi.bin" part) is added during a regular copy/paste of the URL from the browser’s location field to the reply composition box.
FC
Forrest_Corbett
Jan 31, 2009
I don’t really want to turn this into a debate on Bridge vs. the Finder. There a quite a few reasons I don’t want to use Bridge, and I don’t feel a need to justify my workflow. I’ve been using Photoshop practically on a daily basis since version 3, so it’s not like I don’t have any experience with this software.

I’m saddened to see this is an issue that’s been around for years. It looks like Adobe isn’t trying to fix it. I’ve never seen this issue in CS2 or CS3 on multiple machines and many installs. Now another user and myself are seeing it.

I would try editing the plist (which I agree is not a haxie) but I don’t want to kill my ability to update.

One note from that previous thread was "Photoshop CS2 (at least for me) did not do this UNTIL installing CS3 on my Mac Pro." And that’s been similar to my experience and the other users. We’ve both had CS3 installed, and the issue didn’t crop up until installing CS4 with CS3 still installed.

Nini – did you have CS3 installed when you installed CS4? Are you on a PPC or Intel Mac?

If anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this issue with CS*, I’d really appreciate it. I’d much rather find a cure to the cause of the problem, then try to mitigate symptoms.
P
Phosphor
Feb 1, 2009
" I’d much rather find a cure to the cause of the problem, then try to mitigate symptoms."

Even though it’s Photoshop that exhibits the problem, I’ll make an educated guess that the complete fix has more to do with something at the OS-level.

If my solution (and the instructions about how to revert back to install state) doesn’t suit you, you might want to post your questions to the forums at MacFixit.com, MacOSXHints.com, and/or the Apple discussion boards.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
I seem to recall that Chris Cox explained that it happens because Photoshop is in compliance with an Apple OSX standard.
FC
Forrest_Corbett
Feb 1, 2009
I seem to recall that Chris Cox explained that it happens because Photoshop is in compliance with an Apple OSX standard.

Somehow I don’t think that’s the case. No other app does it. No Apple app, and no other Adobe app. And PS doesn’t even do it all the time. It’s either a bug that it doesn’t show some of the time, or it’s a bug that it does show some of the time. Maybe there’s some odd logic to it.

Some of the other Adobe apps do show version numbers, like 13.0.2 or 367. And that’s fine. It’s this extra long, verbose version with the time listed down to fractions of a second that is the issue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
Well, you have already been given a number of suggestions of what to do about it if it bothers you that much….

8/

Or you could post a Features Request with Apple and Adobe ….
P
Phosphor
Feb 1, 2009
Edit a copy of the damned file and quit squawking. Save the original if you have to replace it.

Time is better spent bitching about REAL Photoshop deficiencies.

NEXT!

XD
R
Ram
Feb 1, 2009
Why would anyone be bothered by that, anyway?
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2009
It didn’t do it for CS3

Not true.
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 1, 2009
Well, I certainly didn’t apply any strings or haxies whichever they might have been. and then forgot about them, no, no such thing. On principle I don’t mess with either the system or the applications.

I am on an Intel iMac with 10.4.6 at home, åainfully little rAM, but that works anyways, have an Intel MacBook alu for work (previously not so long ago a black Intel Mac Book), with max RAM possible.

Our users (Scandinavia’s largest daily newspaper) have either Intel MacBooks or MacBook Pros with either Leopard or Tiger, our editors have G5s with Tiger (and since last week some of them now run Intel iMacs with Leopard).

I have personally never seen the problem described or got any reports of it either (we have several hundred of users). Our users do not yet run cs4, but all our editors do their own image-works and use Photoshop daily, CS2 or CS3. Our photographers run Cs3 on Intel MBs or MBPs in either Tiger or Leopard.

When I installed PSCS4 (premium design suite) I had both CS2 and CS3 already on my personal machines. Since I’ve gotten rid of CS2. My personal machines have on their main systems never seen any betas, personal or other, or run any trial versions (anything like that has been run isolated in other systems). I’ve run Leopard since the day it was released and all updates released afterwards. I never run DiskWarrior (don’t own it), but I have meticulous control over my fonts (nowadays not using any font managers; FontBook is there obviously but I only use that for info about fonts not for activating), but used to use Suitcase for years previously, without any problems.

And I have never seen the problem described. Not in CS4 and not in previous versions. So I think something else, whatever it might be, might be influencing on it and causing it. Fonts? Non-compatible plug-ins? System-haxies? Not saving files locally but over the network? Not having the correct settings for saving the file? Hard to say. File being messed with between different versions of the applications and different applications? Could be anything.

What would be nice to have would be a file-history function like the one in InDesign where you can see what versions and stages the file has passed through and where it originated version-wise. But PS doesn’t have that.
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2009
Well I running Tiger 10.4.11 and I see it with CS2, CS3 and CS4

but for me its such a Non issue.
P
Phosphor
Feb 1, 2009
It WAS an issue for me.

I figured out how to fix it and published the instructions.

The fix has done nothing to compromise my system’s functioning.

NEXT!
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 1, 2009
As a fervent non-user of Bridge since the day it came out, I looked at the introductory videos on Bridge CS4 and thought it looked and performed better.

I decided to give it a try and am now a fervent user.

Sometimes it is better to change a well-used and familiar workflow for another when the technological advances warrant it.

(I’m posting this because an awful lot of people, who used to scorn Bridge with good reason, don’t know what they are now missing.)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
Exactly, John.

And if you use more of the other CS4 applications than Photoshop, you are hobbling yourself if you don’t learn to use Bridge.
FC
Forrest_Corbett
Feb 2, 2009
A few things:

1. This is happening on multiple machines. One was a clean install of the OS. I haven’t added any fonts, I haven’t even worked with any files with these apps yet. No haxies installed. No plug-ins or anything third party at all for any Adobe apps.

2. Again, I don’t want this thread to be a debate between Bridge & the Finder. I use Bridge often for many things and know it very well, but it has many shortcomings so that’s why I use the Finder for many things. If Bridge works for your workflow, that’s great. It doesn’t offer the functionally I need.

3. It’s an issue because it shows up this way in other places too, and all that extra text messes up contextual menus.

4. There’s only been one fix posted so far in this thread. There were reports of it causing problems, so I’m hoping to avoid those as well. So I’m still looking for other possible options. If you don’t have one, that’s fine. I’m not here to debate this with you, just find solutions.

Thanks to the poster who already provided the one possible workaround. I’m looking to see if there are others before I go with that one.

5. I now understand that this issue has been around for several versions. I should have said CS3 didn’t do this _for_me_.
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2009

1. This is happening on multiple machines.

Sure. It’s expected behavior.

Only in extremely rare occasions do I go into that contextual menu, so the long name is not an issue for me.
FC
Forrest_Corbett
Feb 11, 2009
Problem solved. Apparently it only occurs when two versions of Photoshop are installed at the same time. I uninstalled CS3 (which broke CS4 so I had to reinstall CS4.) And now the issue no longer occurs.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections