Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130

Photoshop Elements 2 is on that list (as well as several others)

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 16, 2004
Well, &#$%

"Several"? How about "a bunch"?!
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 16, 2004
Ray wrote:

Could be something simple, like XP SP2 turns on firewall by default. This would block the auto-update feature in PSE. Since most have the feature turned off, there would be no problem.

OTH, it could be something which requires more extensive troubleshooting, as listed in the related documents.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been an Adobe post to this newsgroup about the issue, and how to fix it.

Ed
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 16, 2004
Well, i notice CS isn’t on the list.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 16, 2004
There is a lot of information on this subject at windrivers.com. Many people are waiting to get that SP (or don’t plan on getting it at all), in fact there is a MS download to block the inclusion of this SP for those that use Auto Win Update.
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 17, 2004
There’s note at the top of the forums page now annoucing this problem with SP2. It do makes ya a bit nervous to install it, don’t it?

🙂
Patti
D
Dave
Aug 17, 2004
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:43:45 -0700, wrote:

Ray wrote:

Could be something simple, like XP SP2 turns on firewall by default. This would block the auto-update feature in PSE. Since most have the feature turned off, there would be no problem.

OTH, it could be something which requires more extensive troubleshooting, as listed in the related documents.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been an Adobe post to this newsgroup about the issue, and how to fix it.

Ed

I installed SP2 the other day and last night I was using Elements 2 to clean up some pictures from the US Transplant Games. I noticed that when using the Unsharp Mask with Preview checked I’d adjust it to where I wanted it, then hit OK. When the filter was applied I could see a slight shift back to the blurry side. Not much, but noticable. I’d never noticed that happening before, and thought it was my the imagination the first time. But it happened every time I used the Unsharp Mask.

I wonder if this is a side effect of SP2. I hope not, as I am very pleased with SP2 otherwise.

Dave
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 17, 2004
Not too nervous, I’m still using Windows 2000. <G> XP makes me nervous all by itself!

🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 17, 2004
Win XP isn’t too bad, and coming from a Macophile, that’s quite a bit of praise. However, if there’s an option to not install SP 2, I think I’ll exercise it! Whoopee!

However, why didn’t MS just introduce a new OS a long time ago that took care of many of the problems that have to be dealt with via updates? I reformated the drive and reinstalled XP Pro on a laptop a few weeks ago, and there were 43 "critical" updates. It took longer to download and install all the updates than it did to reload all the applications. That’s really mind boggling; I hadn’t realized how bad it had gotten. I could have totally rebuilt my Mac in the time it took to just do the updates. 🙁
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 17, 2004
Didn’t someone foresee this problem? Aaarrgghhh. I kind of wonder why all software these days uses Internet Explorer for their Help files anyway??? Smaller files? Although not all of them open up in your browser, many of them use some type of independent IE based interface. Those programs (at least those that I have installed) are not on "the list."

Patti
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 17, 2004
why didn’t MS just introduce a new OS a long time ago that took care of many of the problems that have to be dealt with via updates?

Because then the big corporate customers that are their bread and butter would whine about too-frequent updates, whereas those same corporate customers have legions of people whose reason for existence is the care and feeding of Windows computers.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 17, 2004
Patti Anderson wrote:
There’s note at the top of the forums page now annoucing this problem with SP2. It do makes ya a bit nervous to install it, don’t it?

Not really. If searching Help is the only problem, that is nothing to get nervous about. You click on a button and perform the search.

But I’m nervous about it for other reasons. After all, it is a patch to a patch, and that will crete more vulnerability.

Ed
JM
John_McLean
Aug 17, 2004
I loaded SP2 over the past weekend and have had no problems at all. I made sure I disabled the new MS Firewall as soon as the system booted. I am using Norton Internet Security as my firewall.

PSE2 loads fine, all plugins work and the Help files open fine. I have not seen any change in the operation of the system or in any application.

I made sure my system was clean, did a defrag, chkdisk, disk clean and proceeded with AV off during install. Took 25 minutes. I used the 266MB Network version rather than waiting for the WinUpdate version.

Jack

"Ray" wrote in message
Ray
LM
Lou_M
Aug 17, 2004
However, if there’s an option to not install SP 2, I think I’ll exercise it!

Why not? With all the spyware, viruses, trojans, and malware out there, installing SP2 is at the top of my list for my XP machine. And my system is already relatively safe: I don’t use Internet Explorer (Firefox is awesome, and it blocks animated ads, to boot) nor do I use Outlook (I get my mail on my Mac), and I’m behind a hardware firewall/router.

The worst thing that could happen–even if everyone did install SP2–is that companies (like, ahem, Adobe) will post multi-step workarounds to "problems" introduced by SP2, and users will get fed up and turn off all the new features in SP2.

Instead, companies should produce patches/updates so that their software works smoothly within the bounds of the new security features in SP2. Let’s hope Adobe does the right thing.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 17, 2004
I want to say something here but in the interest of peaceful coexistence I won’t. But some of may know what I’m thinking . 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 17, 2004
Mark,

I read your mind 🙂 … I had the same thoughts

Wendy
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 17, 2004
gotcha, Mark
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 17, 2004
Mark_Reibman wrote:
I want to say something here but in the interest of peaceful coexistence, I won’t. But some of may know what I’m thinking anyway. 🙂

I’ll take a wild guess at what you’re thinking.

.. Buy hardware and o/s
… Buy application
…. Upgrade o/s
….. Upgrade application
…… Patch o/s
……. Buy application upgrade
…….. Return to start

Ed
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 17, 2004
I want to say something here but in the interest of peaceful coexistence, I won’t. But some of may know what I’m thinking anyway. 🙂

Amen 🙂
J
jhjl1
Aug 17, 2004
Come on Mark, we haven’t had a good Windows vs. Mac debate in months. LOL

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I want to say something here but in the interest of peaceful
coexistence, I won’t. But some of may know what I’m thinking anyway. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 17, 2004
OK, here goes…

Mac = good computer, a tool.
Windows = good computer, a tool.

Users ?? Some prefer Macs, some prefer Windows.

Viruses, trojan’s etc ????

Losers that create these can’t afford Macs 😉
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Aug 17, 2004
About Windows Update:

It takes a little more time and I have to remember to check frequently for updates but this is what I do to avoid having to download all those updates again after a Windows reinstall.

1. Turn off Auto Update.
2. Manually check for updates.
3. For each update click the "Read more" link.
4. Find the download link in the bulletin for my version of windows.
5. Download the update, double click it to install.
6. Back up all updates to a cd-rw.
7. Keep a log of the sequence. (Excel works well.)

After reinstalling Windows I only have to restore the backup and reapply. Saves a lot of dialup time.

Since SP2 will incorporate all previous updates that’s a good time to start saving all those updates that will follow.

Just my humble opinion.

Bob
B
BobHill
Aug 17, 2004
As long as the thread stays on subject (no platform wars, folks), no problems here. Differences between platforms are fine, but no "My Dad can beat up your Dad" messages please. Elements is the main subject matter (not tightly held to, of course). In other words, BE NICE<g>.

For most people using a PC and XP, you’ll find that expecially if you are subject to viruses (aren’t we all), the SERVICE PACK 2 whould help cut down that exposure. However, I still wouldn’t give up my McAfee or Norton virus scans. And you can still use your HELP files by turning off the block (without exposing yourself to a virus problem) when the option is given for those files.

Bob
DN
DS_Nelson
Aug 17, 2004
I kind of wonder why all software these days uses Internet Explorer for their Help files anyway???

Actually, these help files use your default web browser, whatever that happens to be. I’ve been using Mozilla (www.mozilla.org) for some time now and would never switch back to IE. Mozilla seems to have fewer security problems, is faster, and I love the tabbed browsing.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Aug 17, 2004
Service pack? What’s a service pack and why would one be affraid of installing it? 😉
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 17, 2004
I read through the material posted here and some of the links: <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx> I am led to believe that one can delete this service pack via add/remove from the control panel, if necessary. Also the system restore in XP should be of use if required. The next to the last security update that I received from Microsoft raised havoc with the function of one of my programs, requiring a manual correct to get to the default status. If the past is an index to the future, it is hard for me to believe that this proposed download/installation is without some risk. I looked on the DELL site yesterday and they do not editorialize on SP2 so far.
Ken
J
jhjl1
Aug 17, 2004
If this was in reference to my comment to Mark just relax a little. Perhaps you missed the "LOL". I’m pretty sure he knew I was joking with him. We seem to do alright here as online friends.

"Come on Mark, we haven’t had a good Windows vs. Mac debate in months. LOL"

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
As long as the thread stays on subject (no platform wars, folks), no
problems here. Differences between platforms are fine, but no "My Dad can beat up your Dad"
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 18, 2004
Oh, don’t mind Bob. He just freaks whenever he sees the words "Windows" and "Mac" in the same sentence. What he doesn’t realize is that the reason there haven’t been any platform wars for months is because he wasn’t around. Without him watching, they’re just no fun. 🙂
JG
JR Gardiner
Aug 19, 2004
I know those accessing this ng via the forum won’t see this post, but
for those that can see it —
I installed SP2 over a week ago and have happily used PSE2 since then
with no noticeable difference. An earlier post suggested that it might have
something to do with the PSE2 Auto Update feature. That may well be
true, but I — like most — have long since turned that worthless feature off.

Also, SP2 itself has been fine. My advice (for what it’s worth): The security
fixes alone are worth the "risk" – go for it!

Regards,
John Gardiner
Dogs have owners. Cats have attending staff.
"Ray" wrote in message
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130 |
| Photoshop Elements 2 is on that list (as well as several others)
|
| Ray
|
DH
Dave Hamer
Aug 19, 2004
I too installed Service Pack 2 network edition and have had no problems to speak of. 1 minor glitch with my Norton Anti-Virus which was quickly corrected by downloading their latest live update.

Dave

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Dave Hamer
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.740 / Virus Database: 494 – Release Date: 8/16/2004

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections