BM
Posted By
barbara_macklowe
Jan 29, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I change image size to a JPEG for emailing eg from 300 to 72 DPI and the length to 800 ppi from a higher one the new setting does not hold and one or both changes reverts back to original

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 29, 2009
barbara,

Although I’m not sure I’m following what you mean by "the length to 800 ppi from a higher one", it sounds like you are merely changing the pixel density (ppi), not resampling down to reduce the overall "weight" of a file, which is the whole point of resizing for email. That, or you are accidently not saving and sending the smaller file. Do you rename your resized file to distinguish it from the original?

If you’ve resampled the image down, you’ve permanently discarded at least some of the data of the original file — and there is no way that it can be recreated from what remains, regardless what CSI shows with their miraculous racks of beeping and burping computers. <g> Only lossless file compression schemes (such as zip and sitx) will reduce the "weight" of a file, yet allow it to be fully reconsituted without data loss.

Neil
B
Buko
Jan 29, 2009
use save for web and reduce the image
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 29, 2009
Well, I found that there is a large (original) size limit beyond which "Save for Web…" won’t work.

Neil
JF
john_findley
Jan 29, 2009
I’ve had success doing the following:

Flatten Image.
Resample down to desired size (using pixel dimensions, forget 72 ppi) using Bicubic Sharper Save as jpeg; set Quality to highest the recipient will accept.

I’ve not gotten used to using "Save for Web and Devices" for this relatively simple procedure, but that’s just me.
P
Phosphor
Jan 29, 2009
Well, I found that there is a large (original) size limit beyond which "Save for Web…" won’t work.

True, but for emailing purposes do you WANT any larger size? I hate it when someone emails me a big honking image that I have to scroll around (or download) just to see.
P
Phosphor
Jan 29, 2009
Me too, Ed.

My brother—who DEFINITELY knows better (because I’ve explained it to him a dozen times, and because he’s a pretty sharp cookie)—sends me huge honkin’ images in the body of emails all the time. Ikeep telling him to ZIP ’em up, and he keeps not ZIPing them.

For years now.

siiiiiggggghhhhh…
BW
Bob_Warmen
Jan 29, 2009
yep, same here! 🙂
L
Lundberg02
Jan 30, 2009
A friend forwards emails to me from one of his friends that always contain a set of images repeated three or more times in the body, and also attached. It’s a miracle they even arrive.
It’s no use bitching, they are entirely free of clue.
HP
Helen_Pine
Jan 31, 2009
Barbara,

Follow these steps:

1. Image > Duplicate > OK
2. Image > Mode >8 bits
3. Edit > Convert to Profile > srgb
4. Image > Image Size

constrain proportions
resample

change resolution to 72

choose 800 pixels for the longest dimension

bicubic sharper > OK

5. Open image to 100%
6. Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask

150 – .4 – 2 > OK
7. File > Save As

format – jpeg > Save

quality – 10 -maximum

format option -baseline (standard) > OK
GP
Gary_Politzer
Jan 31, 2009
That is perfect, except resolution 72 doesn’t matter. Only pixel dimensions matter.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections