B
Posted By
Bun-H
May 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using my own images ( authored by me) to the public web sites. How can I protect my own copyrights for those images?
I would like to put something to those images so that they can not freely copy those…. Those artists usually attach their own signatures to the images? But anyone can easily cut that signatures off, right? I wonder what is the best technique to protect the time-consumed, precious images from being used free?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 21, 2007
Put a watermark on the image, effectively rendering it useless. Pretty much all you can do.
B
Bun-H
May 22, 2007
Thank you for your quick reply!
I looked at more about watermark. I found that I have to pay to buy PIN number and Digimarc ID. Waoh! That’s (to me) expensive!
Is there anyway we can put watermark without any cost?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 22, 2007
Forget Digimarc. You can easily make a watermark for free. Just take a logo or copyright notice or whatever graphic you want and place it on a layer above your image and set the Blend Mode to Screen or Lighten, whatever. Add a nice Bevel if you like.

Look at the Getty Images page for examples: <http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/home/home.aspx> though, in my opinion their watermarks are too small and should be centered for better effectiveness.

The goal is to make the image viewable on the web, but usless to a thief.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 22, 2007
Here’s one that I just made. The watermark is black, set to Multiply at 10% Opacity.

<http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/bat_goth_water.gif>
JO
Jim_Oblak
May 22, 2007
Digimarc is not intended to deter image theft. Digimarc identifies image authors to those that seek such information. Thieves do not care about this author info.

The watermark Ed refers to is visible, which deters image theft whether or not the thief’s image editor recognizes Digimarc invisible data.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
May 22, 2007
If people using your work and not paying for the right to do so, consider not posting posting the best quality/full version on the web site. Rather, post a watered-down version. Also post a message stating they are reduced in quality to speed page loading and deter theft.

Finally, if your work is for sale list contact info.
AC
Art Campbell
May 22, 2007
Actually,
Digimark marks the image, but the company’s real bread-and-butter is the ability to identify and track marked images… which means that pirates can be identified and held liable for usage fees, assuming you have a attack attorney.

Art

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections