MR
Posted By
Michelle_Robertson
Jan 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS2 on Mac OSX 10.4.11. I’ve been trying to figure the best way to do this for a few years now. I am an invitation designer and I photograph my products to be used as images on my web site. I’m starting with a 3008×2000 pixel image at 300 pixels per inch, crisp .jpg of my invite with a fabric background that I delete out after the photo is taken. I open the photo, duplicate the layer, delete the background, duplicate the layer with the invite selected and create a dropshadow, then I use the sharpen filter on the invite layer. Then I reduce the image to roughly 627×417 and use the Save for Web function. The picture comes out with a blurry haze around the text and the invite colors become pixelated looking. Here is an example < http://www.invitedesigner.com/index.php?main_page=product_in fo&cPath=36_57&products_id=2222> the bad photo is the smaller one below the main image. The main image is a scan which I was using for a while because of the good quality but it doesn’t allow me to show enough of the invite.

If you have any advice at all I would love to hear it. This has been driving me crazy for years!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
PeterK.
Jan 27, 2009
In save for web, simply using a higher quality setting for the jpeg.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 27, 2009
If the reseller website is converting the image to a lower quality JPG for storage in their database you might be best off posting the highest quality JPG to their site.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
then I use the sharpen filter on the invite layer. Then I reduce the image to roughly 627×417

You have these steps backward. Why sharpen before resampling?

With that said, the image sample does not look bad.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 27, 2009
Why sharpen before resampling?

For content.
PT
Phil_Taz
Jan 27, 2009
Forget the sharpening, or use the high pass/hard light method since the normal sharpening haloes everything too much. Having said that your jpg quality looks low, you should be on high quality as PeterK said. Hopefully your image is not being resaved by web people!
B
Buko
Jan 27, 2009
what method are you using to reduce your image?

I woould recommend bicubic sharper
MR
Michelle_Robertson
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you guys so much, I thought I was choosing the highest quality .jpg in the 4 up but I didn’t realize I could also adjust the quality of the .jpg in a dropdown on the right. I was on low and changed it to maximum and the quality looks WAY better. Now I just have to get better at the photography portion of it. My lighting is off and the red background I used is reflected on the product. Thanks for the advice!
B
Buko
Jan 27, 2009
and it would not surprise me the image was being resaved.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections