NK
Posted By
Neil_Keller
Jan 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is a general discussion topic covering current and upcoming computer and peripheral technology and systems interface.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jan 26, 2009
I see Jim got another thread closed.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 26, 2009
Buko is an ass.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 26, 2009
And Neil is a fool for waiting for me to repeat Ann’s insults before he decided the thread had no more usefulness.
B
Buko
Jan 26, 2009
I guess its time to close this one and start Number 3
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 26, 2009
Or, alternatively, Neil could stop you and Ann from stirring up trouble wherever you go. I’m sure there is an easy option for Neil. There is no point in starting new threads if Ann and Buko are just going to keep acting the same way. He just can’t keep scolding you two forever. <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b79352/26>
L
Lundberg02
Jan 26, 2009
For christ’s sake neil, ban this guy.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 26, 2009
If a ban was appropriate, Neil would have done such.

He closed the previous discussion to move on.

Buko did not get the message. And now Lundberg02 seems just as uninformed.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 26, 2009
We’ll try again.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
I promised to get back to Allen about my experiences with the LaCie LaCinema Premier when I had had time to test it.

I found this to be an excellent piece of equipment.

I followed LaCie’s instructions to keep the drive formatted using FAT32 — and files from my Mac uploaded to the new drive quickly and easily and played on the TV without hesitation.

This will be particularly important if you plan, as I do, to use this 1TB drive with a Mac for extra storage space — or if you need to share files with user’s of Vista.

From La Cie’s Instructions:
Use FAT 32 (MS-DOS) if…
….you will be using your drive with both Windows and Mac OS 9.x or 10.x or sharing the drive between Windows 2000, XP or Vista and 98 SE.

Use NTFS if…
….you will be using the drive only with Windows 2000 or Windows XP

If you follow the foolish advice espoused here last week to re-format the LaCinema by using a Windows machine to NTFS, you won’t be able to write files from a Mac to the LaCie — unless you want to play around with some untested software from the web that I am not interested in risking!

Connection to a large wide-screen TV is quick and easy and the files could be selected and played using the provided Remote.

I uploaded a trial collection of JPEGs; Music and some iMovie files (saved as iDVD format disk images because the device can’t play .mov files).

I was thrilled with the way that the pictures looked on the big screen and the whole outfit (including the cables) just fits in a spare small camera bag (which I happened to have) so I can take it anywhere.

The LaCinema would be great for use at a trade show or exhibition and could be set-up to run a high-quality slide show on a big TV screen as an endless loop.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
I’m glad Ann did not follow that ‘foolish’ advice as that advice was not given. Ann may want to review the previous thread.

No one said to reformat it with Windows. You can (at your option) reformat it to NTFS with your Mac running MacFuse (or a future version of OSX) if you want to use a large AV media drive optimally.

The suggestion for NTFS was never intended for Ann. The suggestion was directed at advanced users that understand drive formats. Ann can waste all the clusters she wants in FAT32.

I certainly do not suggest untested software. Ann, a confessed beta tester for Photoshop CS4, certainly seems like a fool to say she is not interested in risk. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
When you are in a position to actually PURCHASE your own LaCinema Premier Jim, you are welcome to muck it up by using MacFuse if you so wish.

And at such time as you have REAL LIFE experience with the product, your input may be worthwhile. Currently, it is worthless.

My report was not posted for your benefit but was intended for Allen to whom it was specifically addressed and who had previously requested the information.
B
Buko
Jan 28, 2009
Ann why on earth would anyone want to follow the manufactures direction when they have been recommend by Jim to use his Hacker software? Gosh who are those manufacturer guys anyway? When you read their directions you’d think they actually made Hard drive.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
Well as Jim doesn’t even HAVE a LaCinema we will probably never hear what actually happened when he MacFused it and then turned up with it to display his great Artwork (which he deems to be too "special" (?!) for any of us to see in this Forum) at a Client Meeting.

8/
-macman
Jan 28, 2009
No HDMI = No Thanks!

Pinheaded move by LaCie!! Outdated before it even hit the shelves.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
HDMI is included on the smaller 500GB model; but connections for Composite, Component, S-Video, Optical and USB2 cables are on the 1 TB Premier model (which is the one that I bought).

All of those methods work — depending on which kind of TV screen that you are using.

You are not supposed to have your computer and a TV connected to the LaCinema simultaneously.
-macman
Jan 28, 2009
There is a logical reason why people pay good money upgrading to HD TVs. They want (nay, demand) the highest picture quality possible given the technology available. Chimping on HDMI output at this stage in the game is ludicrous, IMO.

HDMI is included on the smaller 500GB model

Which makes it even stupider to exclude it on their top-end model.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 28, 2009
Jim Jordan’s artwork is special indeed, if you know what i mean. This is my last comment about him or any of his ridiculous posts.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
The brand new top-of-the-line HDTV that i was able to test this on last weekend had ports for Component and S-Video (both of which worked extremely well with 1920 x 1080 JPEGs) and also had the regular Composite ports as well.

I don’t think that a HDMI connection would not have provided any improvement over what I already had and I am not sure why you find it to be so essential?

However, a FWD port might have been nice — although the USB2 cable provides perfectly acceptable transfer speeds.

Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase. It is a compact, light and easily transportable unit; and it appears to do everything that I needed it to do.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
any of his ridiculous posts.

And yes, it turns out that the Trojan that was supposed to be attacking Macs through Adobe software was also detected on Windows machines by AV software — but was later found to have been a "False Positive" alarm.

Much ballyhoo about nothing — as I suspected when Jim first reported the issue.

It’s interesting, but it is always the AV software manufacturers who "discover" these malware things — which must be very good for their Sales.
-macman
Jan 28, 2009
I don’t think that a HDMI connection would not have provided any improvement over what I already had and I am not sure why you find it to be so essential?

Since there was no way for you to view/test a side-by-side comparison of the two, its practically impossible to arrive at a definitive, scrutinizing evaluation.

If you read some of the reviews online of the LaCie LaCinema Premier, you will find that several users are complaining of (fuzzy) pictures displayed by the unit. Coincidence?

Ann, let me ask you this: would you consider using inferior glass up front on your spiffy new Nikon? Or low-end storage cards?

Hey, if you’re happy with the unit, fine and dandy. That is all that counts. Don’t let my views on the subject of nun-HDMI spoil your fun.

Happy exploring! 🙂
P
PShock
Jan 28, 2009
And yes, it turns out that the Trojan that was supposed to be attacking Macs through Adobe software was also detected on Windows machines by AV software — but was later found to have been a "False Positive" alarm.

No, Ann. The trojan associated with pirated versions of PSCS4 is very real. Apparently, it’s actually not installed with PS, but by using the included cracking application that’s used to crack it. However, this is not a case of false/positive reporting by AV software. Think that’s a separate incident on the Windows side.

< http://www.macworld.com/article/138432/2009/01/piratedphotos hop.html>
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
Ann,

Of course, the most important thing is that the product works for your needs and satisfaction. HDMI may not be critical for your specific needs here, and that’s what counts.

That said, technically, HDMI is the current highest-quality signal connectivity for hi-def television, and 1920 x 1080 resolution displayed at 1080p is the best way to see it. The difference between HDMI and component connections is fairly small, but it is detectable.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
I was testing the laCinema on a 16:9/1080p HDTV and the Component cables certainly produced incredibly fine results.

However, as Macman said I have no way of testing HDMI and Component connections side by side so can’t tell you if the difference would be sufficient to make it advantageous for someone to buy, and carry around, two of the 500GB LaCie drives instead of a single 1 TB Premier.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
Ann,

The difference is slight. And most but very critical eyes won’t notice it. And as you recall, not that long ago most of us were very happy with component connections.

Neil
L
LRK
Jan 28, 2009
Yay! I found you. I thought I had lost this thread but I guess something must have happened with the first replacement.

I happened to notice that this month Apple celebrates the Mac’s 25th Birthday. <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11528949>

We bought our first Mac in 1986.
-macman
Jan 28, 2009
I had a few hours to kill this morning, so I researched HDMI vs Component Video a bit more. Frankly, I was a bit surprised that there doesn’t appear to be all that much difference in video quality between the two outputs. Certainly less than I had anticipated!

For the uninformed:

Take this with a grain of salt:
< http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=j29RUYMUSyM&feature=relate d>

A bit more informative:
<http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHpt-A2h5E>

Points to consider…

– Component provides HD video through three cables and only up to 1080p. HDMI provides HD video and audio through one cable and resolution can go above 1080p.

– HDMI can transfer full surround sound signals.

– Component can display 1080p, but most TVs don’t accept it through component, only HDMI.

– HDMI Up Converts DVDs to 1080p, component cables cannot up convert DVDs.

– Component is at its max in terms of video resolution, but HDMI’s future capabilities far outshines Component. HDMI also supports HD audio through the same cable unlike component which requires 5 separate cables for both video and audio.

Summarily, if you want pure 1080p video with high def audio all in one cable, pick HDMI. However, if the signal is standard def, then it would be the same on component and HDMI.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting research there. Thank you for finding all of that info.

A single light-weight HDMi would also be nicer to carry around instead of a heavy 5-lead Component cable.

Meanwhile the images and sound that I tested were more than pleasing and the Panasonic 42" HDTV which I was playing with over the W/E (I don’t own one myself because I very seldom watch TV!) appeared to be accepting Component 1080i but I will check on that next time that I get a chance to play with it
L
LRK
Jan 28, 2009
Meanwhile the images and sound that I tested were more than pleasing and the Panasonic 42" HDTV which I was playing with over the W/E (I don’t own one myself because I very seldom watch TV!) appeared to be accepting Component 1080i but I will check on that next time that I get a chance to play with it

Hi Ann. What was your impression on the 42" Panasonic? So far I am very impressed, not only with the picture but also with the sound.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
I thought that it was simply superb — both pictures and sound quality.
L
LRK
Jan 28, 2009
I thought that it was simply superb — both pictures and sound quality.

Cool! Glad you thought so too.
-macman
Jan 28, 2009
Hi Linda:

Take a look at this: < http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=OtDERvZaVTE&feature=relate d>

This should work with your new HD TV for client presentations. Try it and let us know how it works out.

Best!
-macman
Jan 28, 2009
Ann,

Leo getting a quick look at your new toy: <http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkXhfPce4Q>
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
Check out the very latest Consumer Reports for an extended article on HDTV and product ratings.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
The LaCinema contains a 1TB drive while the WD TV HD Media Player appears to have no built-in storage space at all — meaning you need to purchase separately and carry an additional USB HD so its not such a bargain when you figure that into the package.

And its a lot less convenient too.
L
LRK
Jan 28, 2009
Hi Linda:

Take a look at this: < http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=OtDERvZaVTE&feature=relate d>

This should work with your laptop and new HD TV for client presentations. Try it and let us know how it works out.

Hi Macman,

I think what you’ve posted is what I’ve being thinking is my solution. It’s more or less using the TV as a second monitor for the laptop, right?

Once I get caught up on my list of client requests I plan to experiment some more.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 28, 2009
Everyone should have a 52" monitor and Dolby 5.1 for their MBP.

Phase 4 stereo here has a Surround Sound bar for 400. I think it’s a Boston. They say it’s every bit as good as a 2000 dollar bar.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 30, 2009
In another rage of insanity, Ann Shelbourne wrote:

And at such time as you have REAL LIFE experience with the product, your input may be worthwhile. Currently, it is worthless.

I am very familiar with both the drive and the software that enables the rest of us to make the best use of it. This is why I made the mention of the extra app in the previous thread. Ann appears to have real life experience with only one of them. Ann’s posts arguing software that she has absolutely no experience with are certainly worthless. We’re in this forum to share possibilities; not stick our heads in the sand. No one is obligated to use this software just as no one is obligated to use the LaCie drive.

The benefit of the some other media players (like the WD) is the user interface. The LaCie menus never impressed me. The menus seem not much better than a $20 DVD player displaying a DVD full of JPG files. However, if you choose a drive with a better UI, be careful that the thumbnails/previews are displayed quickly enough for your liking. Some of these drives can be sluggish in displaying previews.

If Linda is seeking a way to preview images with clients, a media drive attached to a HD TV will allow no reasonable method to mark images. You’d be better off with a computer connected to the display.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
Your comments might have more value if you would cut out your rude aggressive behaviour which just disrupts every discussion in which you engage here and gets threads closed.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 30, 2009
Ann, I’m not here to be rude. I’m here to correct errors in your comments, just as PShock corrected you in this thread. If the attempts to correct your ignorant statements appear to be aggressive then maybe you should be less aggressive in making ignorant statements.

This particular thread is to discuss options for Mac. It is beyond reason why Ann Shelbourne should take a malevolent position toward a simple piece of software of which she is totally unfamiliar and to the poster that offered it as a suggestion. If we don’t want to learn about options for Mac, don’t visit this thread.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
Maybe most of us are not interested in having your Windoze and untested Haxie "options for Mac" thrust rudely, and aggressively, down our throats in a Mac Forum?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 30, 2009
Ann, I would be happy to join in your insanity if you can point out where/when I thrust anything down your throat. You are soooo nasty.

MacFuse was offered as an option. This was stated clearly before so I can now assess that you have a cognition issue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
Your attitude and manners do not belong here so pleased just GET LOST.
B
Buko
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah, screw off Jordan. the few helpful posts you make are out weighed by you crappy argumentative attitude.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 30, 2009
Buko, not one of your posts in this thread have been of any help to anyone.

Spouted by Buko earlier:

Ann why on earth would anyone want to follow the manufactures direction when they have been recommend by Jim to use his Hacker software? Gosh who are those manufacturer guys anyway? When you read their directions you’d think they actually made Hard drive.

Buko, if you read the manual, you would not be making such silly comments. Read it, then try to form an intelligent post here. There is no need for you to look as ignorant as Ann.

If someone wants to criticize my attitude, you could demonstrate a better one than to tell someone to ‘screw off’. Buko just likes to argue.
B
Buko
Jan 30, 2009
Screw off Jordan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 30, 2009
Re: #40:

Seconded!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections