How to use luminosity masking with Command+Option+~ (tilde)

LM
Posted By
Louis_McCullagh
Jan 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I have only just discovered that I can still use Command+Option+~ (tilde) by ammending the OSX system preferences.

My memory was that when using Command+Option+~ (tilde) (plus select inverse) I could grab either the the top 50% or bottom 50% of the levels of an image. That is I could apply levels/curves to either the dark or light halves of an image. An image with well exposed highlights but rubbish shadows – select dark 50% and work on those leaving the highlights untouched.

But I have now found that when i use Command+Option+~ (tilde) and work on the image, the adjustments spill over into the unselected part of the image.

Is a selection with Command+Option+~ (tilde) got a feather attached or am I just too confused.

Thank you for your patience.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 24, 2009
Louis – Im not sure anything has changed here. You can modify your selections very quickly by pressing the Q key to get into Quick Mask and then hit Levels (Command L)

These are very old methods you are using. For more control learn about the Advanced Blending Sliders. A study of Curves and Shadow/Highlight will also be a help. Also Look into processing your images though Camera RAW, using ‘recovery’ and ‘Fill’, you’ll be surprised how much more powerful these methods are.
LM
Louis_McCullagh
Jan 24, 2009
Thank you Mark I’ll do that.

I just can not understand why the selection does seem to apply when making adjustments.

Cheers
Louis
P
PECourtejoie
Jan 26, 2009
Invert your mask if it applies on the part you want protected. The "Claw" (Command+Option+~ ) creates a mask using the values of the composite channel. If your image is high key, or low key, the extent of the selection would be different. Level your masks, as Mark suggested.
LM
Louis_McCullagh
Jan 26, 2009
Thank you. I’ll do that.

louis

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections