Correction of artifactual vignetting in Elements?

TP
Posted By
Ted_Paprocki
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have problems with vignetting using my Dimage Xi camera and this degrades photomerge images at their interfaces. I have read that there are wasy of correcting this vignetting by applying a negative of an image of a gray surface to the original image. Anyone have experience with doing this or have any other tips on correcting this problem? For now I have been using the clone tool to fix the sky if featureless but this is not a good solution for more complicated areas of the image.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JesusIsGod
Aug 15, 2004
Ted,

Where is the vignetting? in the corners or elsewhere in the image?

Robert Ash
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 15, 2004
Unfortunately vignetting can AFAIK just only be corrected in RAW with the converter in Photoshop CS.

Leen
SS
Susan_S.
Aug 15, 2004
Actually it is possible to go some way to correcting this issue in Elements (I did it on some old slides that I copied). My recollection is that what I did was apply a levels adjustment layer with the middle slider shifted slightly to lighten the tone, and then used a radial gradient on the layer mask attached to the adjustment layer, with black at the centre shading out to white at the edges, – or you could just hand-paint the layer mask, black to hide, white to reveal and shades of grey to partially hide, so that only the darkened areas are affected by the adjustment layer.

With photmerges with this problem I’ve used a similar technique on the final photmerge, rahter than trying to fix the original images, just applying the levels adjustment to the areas of the merge which are darker, using the layer mask and painting the areas I don’t want to affect with black or using gradients in the layer mask to shade from one region to another. If the dark region occurs in the sky (and photomerge blending often seems to give this dark patch in skies at the join) it may be easier to use the clone tool or copy and paste a region of ‘good’ sky over the join.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections