Helmut_Skrdla
May 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello People

I’ve searched for hours now, but remain without solution so far:

My old photoshop 7.0 hangs upon start, but even before the credits and splash screen. I know there’s a well-known error with the preference files, but this is not it. Yet I don’t even get that far, all I see is the grey photoshop main windows and the credit picture doesn’t ever show up, it just hangs before that.

My elements 2.0 does the same.

This came after switching graphic-cards and other major hardware around, but I cleaned already all old drivers and replaced them with the newest correct ones.

Funny enough, on the same maschine under a different user account, photoshop works. The problem is something in my user profile, but I already deleted all the old preferences and did multiple reinstalls of PS.

Image ready works under my user account too, just not PS.

So, what I’m looking to know: What does Photoshop 7.0 and Elements 2.0 load (even before the splash screen shows) and Image Ready 7.0 does NOT load? There must be something screwed up with my system right at the first instance the program opens, something user specific.

Any help appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2007
but I already deleted all the old preferences and did multiple reinstalls of PS.

hmm… that usually clears that kind of error. especially as you say it runs under a new account.

care to try again? check this faq:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
HS
Helmut_Skrdla
May 16, 2007
Dave, thanks for your answer. I finally solved it, and posting here for others to learn from this:

After about 8 hours (a full day) mucking around with photoshop, it turned out to be somehow related to the printer service queue or one of the printer drivers in there.

My initial suspicion had been with color profiles, then with installation files, registry settings (which I had to fix some since one of the reinstalls screwed up…)

….but at the end I somehow noticed that it would, very occasionally, come alive instead of hanging up at launch, and then started shutting down background processes one after the other to find one interfering. Which turned out to be the windows printer service.

Very odd though, since all the hardware I changed (basically I mounted the old drive into a completey new maschine) had nothing to do with printer drivers, and all printers were working just fine after the transition.

Not sure how that would have been with CS2 or CS3 version, but Adobe may want to put into their FAQ that hang-ups can also be related to printer installations. Everywhere I looked, all answers were so focused on the preference-file bug that no one ever mentioned printer software hanging up Photoshop.

Oh, this also explains what PS does VERY first before even initializing: Checking printer librarys.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections