Posted By
Jeff_Berns
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
Recently I saw a very striking wedding photo. The basic photo was a&W of the couple who was holding a frame with their heads centered in the frame. The main photo included some of the wedding party in addition to the couple. The framed bride&groom were in color while the frame and the rest of the photo was in B&W. Is this technique doable in Photoshop Elements, and if so, how do I do it?
Thanks,
Jeff B.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 8, 2004
It is extremely easy.
One easy way: copy a layer, desaturate and use the eraser to bring out the colours wherever you want.

Leen
JB
Jeff_Berns
Aug 9, 2004
Leen,
Could you please take me through the steps starting with a color photo. Do I start by first turning it into a gayscale photo?
Thanks
JB
ML
Mark_Levesque
Aug 9, 2004
No. What you want to do is first copy the background layer. Now you’ll have two layers, both exactly the same, that are RGB (color) representations of the image. Now select the top layer, and enhance->adjust color->hue and saturation then pull the saturation slider all the way to the left (desaturate the top layer). Now select the eraser tool and using a hard edged brush, erase the portions of the top layer that you want to appear as color.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 9, 2004

1. open color photo
2. select what you want to be black and white
3. use desaturate
4. keep selecting other areas and desaturate.
(or use eraser tool freehand).

For MUCH more control:

1. open color photo
2. make duplicate layer
3. desaturate this layer
4. add layer mask (reveal all)
5. make color picker black and white.
6. use brush tool. White erases to color underneath. Black paints the desaturated area back over.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 9, 2004
Oops, two things…
Desaturate is called Remove Color in Elements.

And Elements doesn’t do layer masks, so forget my second technique, sorry.

Mac
JB
Jeff_Berns
Aug 9, 2004
Even though there was a typo in my topic title, I still go my question answered.

Many thanks for your speedy response and help.
JB
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 9, 2004
Jeff, i’m the queen of typos around here…step aside ! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections