louise
May 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just purchased my first DSLR (Nikon D40X) and I’m
shooting in RAW. I am using Capture NX to do intial
adjustments to the raw image and then saving it as a tiff. I then open the tiff in CS3 and continue editing.

So, Capture NX, CS3, Outlook and Firefox are usually open. And my computer is moving between Capture NX and CS3 very very slowly, pictures are being drawn slowly and changes are previewed….slowly. It is only slightly better if I close Outlook and Firefox – it is still slow enough to be
frustrating for any quantity of work.

I want to emphasize that everything works, but it is slow and I am constantly waiting for large files to open and to adjust to changes. I find the transition from Capture NX to opening the tiff in CS3 to be extremely slow.

I don’t know whether I really need a new computer, or
whether it is simply that my graphics card isn’t up to the tasks I am now presenting to it. Here are the specs:

P4, 3.2 with 2 gig of ram and an Asus Motherboard. Large seagate hard drive with plenty of space.

The video card is a Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantic with 128 meg of memory in the AGP 8x slot of an Asus P4C800E Deluxe motherboard.

Do I need a new computer with a much faster processor, or is the the video card the main bottleneck? If the video card is the bottleneck, do I get another AGP 8X with 256 meg of ram or do I get a regular PCI card and not use the AGP slot at all? I do have an open PCI slot. What specs should I look for in a card?

I am hoping that a new video card will take care of the slowness for another year when I will feel more ready to buy a new computer. But if not….then it will have to be sooner.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc., all very welcome.

TIA

Louise

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections