SM
Posted By
Scott_MacFarland
May 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have CS3 running on an AMD64 2.6Ghz, 1 GB RAM with Vista Home Premium. What I have noticed is that Photoshop opens quickly, but anytime I open an image file of any format there seems to be a delay of up to 1 minute or so before the image is loaded and ready to be worked with.

Has anyone encountered this? Anyone have any suggestion to what I may tweek to get images loading at least as quick as they did in CS2.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 11, 2007
Scott,

Maybe there is a printer configured that isn’t really there (network printer?)

Does Vista have something like the old Task Manager? maybe set that up first, then launch Ps and see what happens during that minute.

Rob
GK
gary_key
May 12, 2007
I have CS3 running on an XP machine, and even small image files were taking over a minute to open. I found a reference to this problem using Google that suggested deleting network printers. This "fixed" the problem, in that I could load files quickly once again. Adding the network printer back caused the problem to return.

While looking into the delay, I noticed that spoolsv.exe was taking up almost all CPU resources while the file was loading. I think this service is associated with printers, which might make sense.

Good Luck
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 12, 2007
Make sure your default printer is local, not on the network. That has worked for others.
T
TLL
May 16, 2007
You gotta be kidding right? Network printers? Have a local printer be the default? So everytime I want to print a doc on my machine it has to go to a 60" HP plotter (the only local printer out of six diferent ones installed on my system at work) or PS3 slows down?

Beautiful.

Add that to the crap coming out of my (networked) Minolta 2430 at home, which works fine on CS2 thank you, we’ve got a problem here…

TLL
P
povimage
May 16, 2007
Priceless!! What idiot in PS’s software engineering team thought there was a good reason to access the spooler service when an image is loaded?

Add this to the fact that Photoshop won’t hold to a specific printer other than the default, from print to print, and you have a nightmare! That means for EACH print you have to switch your job printer to the non-derfault printer at print time.

Who coded this? MacroMedia staff?

You’d think given past problems with Bridge, how Adobe uses the net to run onerous validation, and for uninstallable crap like Bonjour, they MIGHT actually realize that people use default printers that are NOT local.

Keith
R
RoMills
Jun 1, 2007
Hopefully Adobe can fix this. I have noticed this problem as well, and it takes way too long.

Also, does anyone know how to work around photoshop printing to printers without symetrical resoltions. For Example, my printer prints at 1200x600dpi (Konica minolta 2430). This causes photo to be streched when you go to print. I can fake the printer into printing 600×600, but that seems to be a work around. I would hope that a $700 program would be able to print as well as $100 paint shop pro.

Regards
romills
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 1, 2007
No wonder Chris Cox hasn’t poked his head in here since December

….and the fact we’ve not seen him since the CS3 release, hopefully means he’s working hard on a soon-to-appear dot release.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections