PZ
Posted By
Patrick_ZZZ
May 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Suppose I have a selection that includes an entire image border (for example, suppose I select the top 20 percent of an image, i.e. 400 pixels of a 2000×2000 pixel image) in CS2. When I feather that selection with a wide radius, say 200 pixels, the pixels along the top of the image remain fully selected.

However, if I do the same in CS3, the feathering may cause pixels near the image border to be just partially selected. It seems to depend on how far off the edge of the image I drag the selection tool in making the original selection.

I can see how this might be useful in some circumstances. But in most cases, I’d rather have the CS2 approach.

Does anyone know how to get feathering to work as in CS2, so that (in the example I’ve described) the top edge of the selection would remain completely selected after feathering?

I’m using CS3 (v 10.) on a windows machine. I noticed this issue in the CS3 beta, too.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DH
Dan_Heimsoth
May 11, 2007
I just got CS3 a week ago and ran into the same problem/feature last night. As a work-around I applied guassian blur to a layer mask created from the selection, and that behaved the way I wanted (i.e. no blurring of the mask at the image borders). If there is a way to get the selection feathering to work like it did in CS2 (and previous I think), I’d like to know what it is.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections