Posted By
Dale_Nichols
May 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
I have a juried show coming up in three days. I always proof print in PS CS2 with a color calibrated monitor combined with ICC profile calibrated wide format 42" HP Printer w/o rip.

When I used the gamut warnings (on two of my final projects ready to print) combined with print proof I am getting way out of gamut of what my printer can produce. Trial prints with all rendering intents, bk pt on and off. Recalibrated my medial profile and tried to desaturate colors.

The HP tech for my printer said to use a desaturation sponge or using the eye dropper to pull the color back into gamut. I have never done this before.

Bottom line, I have tried everything I can think of in terms of color management.

Any suggestions would be greatly suggested,

Cheers and have a great day,
Dale

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
May 10, 2007
combined with print proof I am getting way out of gamut of what my printer can produce.

But do the prints look good?

That’s all that matters in the end…

And what colours are out of gamut? By a lot or just a little bit?
H
Ho
May 10, 2007
Select>Color Range>Out of Gamut (from the top drop down menu).

This gives you the ability to copy only OG colors to their own layer(s) and deal with them as you see fit. You may want to feather the selections depending on the image.
DN
Dale_Nichols
May 11, 2007
These two prints I am having the problems with have some deep saturated blues and greens,(lots of water). When I print, about 15-20% of the image has the colors replaced with a dull gray which stands out terribly. The rest of the print dials in perfectly, this is one image where I can not crop it.

One image has a large sea turtle and was tweaked with photoshop, there is no gray in the picture only in the print. May have to change the title to "coming up from murky bottom."

I even tried changing profile to sRGB from RGB, mistake, tried prophoto RGB, etc. I have a 6 ink RGB inkjet not CMYK.

Another trial was to let the printer driver handle all color management not photoshop and there was an improvement, this caught me off quard. Not good enough for a juried show.

I always select to have Photoshop handle color correction and make sure all is off on the printer side. Five photoshop books, a month of Lynda.com going through all photoshop related dvd’s.

Thanks for the Reply,
Looks like it will be a long night of more trial n error Dale
DN
Dale_Nichols
May 11, 2007
Haven’t heard that one thanks for the reply! Sounds like a much better attack plan than I was going to trial.
thanks
dale
H
Ho
May 11, 2007
Is the color profile for your printer a "canned" (came with the printer) or custom profile? A custom profile for your specific ink and paper combination may go a long way toward fixing your problem.
PF
Peter_Figen
May 11, 2007
Typically, out of gamut colors will tend to lose detail. There is always a tradeoff between detail and saturation. You have to decide where to settle, but there are some things you can do about it. One is to use selective channel or luminosity blending to enhance or regain some of the detail in the saturated areas. Another is to consider lowering the saturation in other parts of the image to make the areas in question seem more saturated than they really are. Along the same tack – you can accentuate the color contrast in the composition in a way that will make the out of gamut colors seem more saturated – i.e. making yellows more saturated will make the blues seem so too. But the bottom line is that your printer can only print what it can print. Another brand of printer or even a different paper in the same printer can make a huge difference also.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections