W
Posted By
widelux
Jan 20, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ive upgraded to CS4 and I have found that the curves Adjustment layer runs slow and sticky and Its difficult to make fine adjustments. (the regular curves window works fine but you cant save it as an adjustment layer) I am running 10.5.6 on a 2×3 GHz Dual-core intel with 9gb of ram, a scratch disk of raid 0 with 500gb of freespace. This should not be a problem for my machine. is there a setting I am missing or is CS4 no good?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
pfigen
Jan 20, 2009
If you access the adjustment layer from the Layers Menu, you will have access, at least for your first adjustment, to the old modal dialog box. Yes, there are many problems with the Adjustments Panel…
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 20, 2009
Fortunately Adobe have kept the old modal dialogs intact, very smartly. The best method to access these is to use Actions and F key shortcuts.

Do a search, because in another post somewhere I detailed how to do this. You have to create a different shortcut to bring up a new adjustment (curves lets say) – and to edit an existing one.

You are right fine Curve adjustments just don’t work as well as they used to. Its only the INTERFACE though thats been compromised. Fine adjustments are still possible with the new panel, its just that you have to largely trust to faith that nudging the arrow keys is doing the right thing. Its nowhere near as responsive as it is within a separate dialog.
W
widelux
Jan 20, 2009
I work exclusively with adjustment layers. one adjustment that is directly applied to a layer does no good. I need to be able to go in and re-adjust the layer many times. I need to be able to make very fine, critical moves that are intuitive and subtle. I used to be able to do that in CS3. Are you saying that I cannot do this in the new CS4 Adjustments panel and need to make a workaround? why would adobe make a new feature that doesn’t work?

what work around are you talking about? "A combination of Actions and F key shortcuts"?
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 21, 2009
I understand your annoyance about this. I didn’t say it doesn’t work, it does. "fine, critical moves that are intuitive and subtle" that’s the problem with the new adjustments panel, it is more difficult to make these fine adjustments, still possible just less responsive. You can still bring up the old dialog.

Did you do a search to find my explanation of how to use CS3 to create Actions that will bring up the modal dialog? I’m not going to take the time to explain it again, if you haven’t done this. There is also a Configurator panel that John Knack posted has two buttons ‘create new curve’ and ‘edit existing curve’. Configurator is a new app that Adobe have introduced. Read all the discussions so far on the forum.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections