JM
Posted By
jay_mcdonald001
Jan 19, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am switching over from Fireworks to Photoshop for doing my web design layouts. Does anyone have links for good tutorials on the best techniques for being productive in Photoshop for this sort of thing?

for example:

Alt+Click layer to mask by layer below it (like paste inside) ctrl+G to group into a folder
CMD + alt(?) click to select sub layers…

I am just not familiar with all the best and most flexible/efficient ways to do layout in Photoshop…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GB
g_ballard
Jan 19, 2009
+++++++

can you link to a few examples of the type of work you want to do in PS

+++++++

what monitor gamma do you currently use (1.8 or 2.2)

what Photoshop RGB working profile do you use

what profile are you converting to for the web

+++++++
+++++++

I loaded up CS4 Fireworks to have a look to replace ImageReady, but Fw hit me with a wall of learning so I just went back to ImageReady…
PM
Paul M Norman
Jan 19, 2009
Fireworks is scads better than Photoshop for laying out Web pages. I do all my prototype work in Fireworks. Popup menus and rollovers are very easy to engineer. It’s also a lot easier to add text to your layout, do drop shadows, etc.
JM
jay_mcdonald001
Jan 19, 2009
The type of work would be your usual web design – ie: < http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/01/07/textures-in-moder n-web-design/>

gamma: 2.2 to match all the non-macs out there
RGB profile: adobe 1998

but I’m really not asking about color issues. What I want to know about is layout workflow: selection, grouping, masking, yaddda yadda – all the quick and flexible ways that people manage the pieces of their designs
GB
g_ballard
Jan 19, 2009
for anyone else reading who may be confused about the color issues, I would still ask:

what profile are you converting to for the web (where exactly are you making the conversion) — are you working on a Mac…
GB
g_ballard
Jan 19, 2009
your link is way beyond my world, I look forward to this…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections