Predicting the file size a photo will reduce to.

MM
Posted By
Mac_McDougald
Jul 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Both Save As (jpeg) and Save for Web show approximate final file size for the quality setting you select.

There’s no way for it to be exactly precise, as different images at same pixel dimensions compresses differently, depending on image makeup.

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MS
Michael_Scheff
Jul 31, 2004
When I edit photos to use on ebay they must be 50k or less. Ideally I’d like to somehow indicate I want the photo file I’m working on to end up at 50k (for example) and then have the program make the photo the right size to end up at that file size. As it is now it’s just guess work. I make the photo smaller, look to see how big the file is. If it’s not what I want I try again, and this goes on until I reach my target file size. Seemps pretty cumbersome. There must be a better way. (I’m on a PC). Michael
J
jhjl1
Jul 31, 2004
Use save for web, it allows you to change dimensions and file size and you can see results in preview.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
When I edit photos to use on ebay they must be 50k or less. Ideally
I’d like to somehow indicate I want the photo file I’m working on to end up at 50k (for example) and then have the program make the photo the right size to end up at that file size. As it is now it’s just guess work. I make the photo smaller, look to see how big the file is. If it’s not what I want I try again, and this goes on until I reach my target file size. Seemps pretty cumbersome. There must be a better way. (I’m on a PC). Michael
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Jul 31, 2004
If you don’t know how to use "Save for web" just say so and one of these helpful people on this site will explain it…I know I am not as capable of doing so as they are. But it is the perfect way to do it. Speak up if you need to!!!!
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Aug 1, 2004
Mac, forgive my "perfect way" expression….I don’t even know as much as I thought it did!!! This is why I seldom post anything about anything! I am a pretty good lurker though, trying to learn!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections