JE
Posted By
John_Edwin_Puzey
Jul 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought Photshop Elements 2 on a CD yesterday. I installed it without making any alterations and tried to use it.

My computer is a Sony 2M Hz with 80 GB hard disc as supplied plus a 120 MB hard disc which I added. I have 1.28 GB of RAM. (This is because I do video editing.

My problem is that when I have opened three or four images from files on the hard disc I can only see one at a time in the Layers Palette. Can anyone help me please?

Regards
John Puzey

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BE
Bob_E._Warren
Jul 31, 2004
The images will all open as separate windows until you combine them. Click on the layer for one of the images and drag it to the main image window of another image. You will now have two layers.
Bob Warren
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 31, 2004
John,

Open your first and second images. Next, click on the move tool (it in the tool bar, first row, right icon). Click and hold with the move tool on one image, then drag into onto the second one. This will create a new layer on your first document, containing the second image. Repeat for the two next ones.

Once all your images are in the same document, you will use the move tool again to move the images where you’d like them to be.

If one of your image is larger than the others, you’ll have to resize it. In the layers palette (Windows / Layers, if it’s not visible), click on the layer that contains the oversized picture. Next, click on Control-T. This will put a kind of box around the picture. With the mouse, click on one of the visible corner (a.k.a. handles), then press and hold the SHIFT key (this will make sure your picture keeps it’s original proportion, so no one ends distorted..!!) and drag the corner with the mouse towards the center of the image. This will shrink it. Press enter (or click on the Checkmark on the option bar, top of the screen) when finished.

Finally, once a documents contains multiple layers, it’s best to save it as a PSD document (File / Save As…). PSD is the Photoshop Elements native format. This will preserve all your layers (and various other things you’ve yet to discover!)

Hope this helps,

Ray
JE
John_Edwin_Puzey
Jul 31, 2004
Thank you Ray. I have tried this but in the layer palette I only ever seem to be able to see the last image I clicked on.
John
JE
John_Edwin_Puzey
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks Bob. I have tried this, but in the layer palette I only ever seem to be able to see the last image I clicked on.
John
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 31, 2004
John,

Maybe you have the wrong idea about the layers palette … The layers palette is just a way of looking at the individual layers within EACH image .. so you only ever see the layers of the image you are looking at ..

Try this out:

Open an image and open the layers palette .. you will see one layer. Use the lasso and make any shape you like ..
Do Edit>Copy then Edit>Paste …
Look at your layers palette and it should now show two layers.

Let me know if you can see the two layers.

Wendy
R
RobertHJones
Jul 31, 2004
Try (from the top menu) Window->images->tile

That will make all the images visible at once. Any image you click on will show only that image’s layers in the layer palette. Pick an image to be the one you want to copy the other images to. One at a time, click on another image and then put the cursor over the layer in the layer palette. Click and drag the layer over the image where you are copying it to (a black rectangle will appear around the receiving image when you’re there) and release the mouse button. After you have copied all the layers, click on the image where you copied all the images and you should see all the layers in the layer palette. Holding shift key while you drag and drop will center the copied image.
JE
John_Edwin_Puzey
Aug 1, 2004
Many thanks Wendy. I had struggled for hours. Your tip was exactly what I needed. I have now been able to create, and print,an image of a bridge at Bourton-on-the-Water with a small green square in it and text on the green layer.
Like other people in the Forum I found that book is very unclear. Regards
John
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 1, 2004
Hi John,

Glad to have been of help … nice area Bourton-on-the-Water we used to holiday in Winchcombe and always visited Bourton to watch the ducks on the river. Do you live in that area?

Wendy
JE
John_Edwin_Puzey
Aug 1, 2004
Yes Wendy, we live in Alcester, near Stratford.
I have now printed out five images at the same time on one sheet of paper. This was another of my aims.
The essential point seems to be that you have to copy and paste to get more that one layer in the same image. I do not think the book makes this clear, or even mention it. The book just talks about dragging to form the layers.
Regards
John
JE
John_Edwin_Puzey
Aug 1, 2004
Thank you Robert for your message. It was helpfulRegards John
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 1, 2004
John,

You can drag and drop from one image to the other … what you do is:

Have the two images open on your desktop
Click on the move tool
Click on one image … hold the mouse button down and drag it onto the other image. That should work OK for you

Best way to learn how to use elements is try a few tutorials … this site is good:

<http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm>

Just scroll down the screen to find out all sorts about using Elements.

If you get stuck then just ask on this forum … someone will always help you.

We are just north of Nuneaton … so not too far away from you.

Wendy
JE
John_Edwin_Puzey
Aug 1, 2004
Many thanks. I will try it.
John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections