K
Posted By
Kenneth
May 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looking to build or buy a PC to run Bridge, CS3, Lightroom, Qimage and 3rd-party filters for CS3.

A typical situation is running a batch routine via Bridge/CS3, and working with RAW (10-16MB) images in Lightroom simultaneously. Sometimes Qimage is also running to interpolate and convert TIFF to JPEG.

Typical TIFF file size about 78MB throughout workflow.

Proposed hardware:

Intel D975XBX – Crossfire
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
4 x 1GB Corsair Dominator 6400, 800MHz, 4-4-4-12
nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB, dual DVI, Max Res. 2560 x 1600 Windows Vista Ultimate – 32 Bit
WD Raptor 150GB, 10K RPM,16MB Cache; main drive w/OS & applications WD Raptor 150GB, 10K RPM, 16MB Cache; scratch drive for CS3 & Bridge Maxtor Ultra 16, 500GB 7.2K RPM, 16MB Cache; final drive for saved files

Questions for you experts:

Is the RAM fast enough for my multi-task needs?

Is the video card good enough for the applications above?

Are the hard drives allocated correctly?

Please feel free to comment outside of my questions. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
May 9, 2007
Hi Kenneth.

I’m just wondering why you would need to have Lightroom and CS3 on the same computer. Most photographers I know just keep LR on their laptop for working away from base.

Bridge seems to do everything LR does, and because it is a separate app, you can use it whilst PS is multi-tasking in the background.

I would have thought CS3 would be the only application you need.

Just my two-penneth 🙂
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 9, 2007
Hello Kenneth,

You’ve got a good strong system there and the RAM speed should be fine. In fact, you’re doing the right thing with the 975 chipset and not going over DDR2-800 as I did in buying DDR2-1066 memory, which the chipset just doesn’t seem to play well with. It may be an issue in combination with my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo, but what I’ve read really just says it is the chipset.

So, memory speed is fine, quantity is the max you can use on a 32-bit O/S so that too is fine, and the video card is more than you’d need if Photoshop and 2D imaging in general is your primary focus. Even the Extreme CPU may be overkill, quoting only from my own experience in building a Core 2 Extreme system. But, that was with an overclocking intent in mind, where I’ve found that others, for considerably less money, have achieved a similar overclock of 3.5GHz. If not overclocking but wanting the fastest spec speed you can get in a Core 2 Quad, then the Extreme was your only choice.

Save for the higher-end graphics card, what you’ve got is more or less a quad version of what I built, only I opted for a Seagate Barracuda 750GB drive for my 3rd drive. I follow a similar partitioning scheme as you describe, and have actually added yet a 4th, inexpensive WD Caviar drive that I’ll move some backup data and drive images onto, freeing up the faster Barracuda for use as a working drive. I also have a dual-boot XP/Vista Ultimate setup, so Raptor 0 is set up with two 0/S partitions, a programs partition, "primary data" (personal files basically), and a boot manager partition. Raptor 1 is the windows scratch partition and some workspace partitions while the Segate is for the PS scratch, more workspace paritions, and backups…again those to be moved onto the 250GB Caviar drive. Here’s the partitioning I’ve set up: <http://ambress.com/pc/hddparts.jpg>

Regards,

Daryl
K
Kenneth
May 10, 2007
Hi Chris,

I’ve only got one machine (desktop) where all the processing is done. When I run batch routines via Br, it calls on CS3, so both Br and CS3 are running together at the same time. For example, applying a noise filter to 1,000 images.

I got my hands on LR first and have been using it for a while before I picked up CS3/Bridge. So you could be right about CS3/Br being able to perform just like LR.

For me…

1) LR is great for process large volume of images for basic editing, like white balance, straightening, cropping (w/rule of thirds grid), cloning out sensor dust–global adjustments for color, sharpness, etc.

2) LR will let me do all these things sorted by date, keywords, lens, cameras (serial numbers), etc. This feature accelerates the process by allowing me to group "like" images for the same kind of treatment.

3) LR can create virtual copies which allows me to apply different variations of treatments/settings without actually duplicating the image files. It also feature side-by-side comparison of before/after states.

After LR, further tweaked are done in CS3, as only CS3 can do.

This is the workflow that I’m used to w/LR, and I have not doubt someone else’s CS3/br workflow is just as good or better. I still have a lot to learn about better workflows, so please feel free to chime in.

Cheers,
Kenneth
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 10, 2007
Kenneth, the Core 2 Duo E6600 is perfect for PS. No need for the extreme. Save some bux and put it elsewhere.:-)
MF
morrie farbman
May 22, 2007
Going to build a new system around 32bit XP Pro. I am trying to decide if there is any benefit to going with the intel Quad Core as opposed to the Core 2 Duo. I expect that there will be a drop in the cost of both processors within the next few months and want to take advantage of that. Most of my work is with files in the 100 meg range. I plan on memory of 2 to 4 gig of ram depending on the ability to use the 3gb switch.

Also, currently have a 128 PCIe video card and would consider a 256 or 512, but only if there is a benefit.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 22, 2007
See post #4

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections