Matrox 550 Dual Head with which monitor is the best combination?

B
Posted By
bterlaan
May 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a new PC with a Matrox 550 Dual Head Graphics card, recommended by my dealer for 2- dimensional work (pictures). I have two tube monitors, one of which is ancient, the other perfectly good (5 yrs. old). I wanted to use those two with my Matrox 550 Dual Head, one for the pictures, the other for the palettes.
Now I see that the best of the two monitors flickers and wavers and is unbearable to look at. My dealer said to try the other one (which I have still connected to another PC), to see if it is the card or the interaction card/monitor. Or he suggested that I perhaps buy a new monitor. That would mean a TFT. A good quality TFT of at least 20" is expensive, so I am thinking of giving up the idea of having two monitors and to use one bigger one instead. However, who guarantees that I’ll not have the flickering issue with a new monitor as well?

So can someone tell me if they experienced that kind of problem with Matrox 550 Dual Head? And also which monitor would be recommendable for use with the Matrox 550 Dual head? Thank you for a reaction.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

I
ID._Awe
May 8, 2007
Have you looked at and adjusted the refresh rate for the monitors?

I use a 550 with a Sony G520 and an SGI 21" without flicker at 1600×1200 at 75Mhz.
B
bterlaan
May 8, 2007
Great idea! My handler shouldhave told me that. I am not sure how to do that, but I’ll try.
CM
Craig_McWalter
May 8, 2007
Good, large CRTs are still available. NEC has a cache of new 22" monitors for $360. I bought two to last me until good LCDs are affordable:

< http://www.nm-select.com/searchresults.asp?search_id=1&d ept_id=56>

I agree that if your old monitor was working okay before then your new card isn’t set up properly.
I
ID._Awe
May 8, 2007
Right click a blank area of your desktop, select ‘Properties’ from the menu, select the ‘Settings’ tab, click ‘Advanced’ button near bottom, click ‘Monitor’ tab and choose a higher refresh rate.
B
bterlaan
May 8, 2007
ID.Awe, 75 Herz did the trick, at least at night. I’ll see how it is with daylight tomorrow. I found it myself, but thanks for the tip anyway. I also tried 1600 x 1200 but that made the letters and menus extremely small, so I reduced it to 1142×874 or something. Thank you all for your tips!
I
ID._Awe
May 9, 2007
You’re welcome.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections