_HELP_ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7 INSTALL FAILURE!

K
Posted By
kt5com
May 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running a new sony vaio ar21s laptop.. I have had Adobe Photoshop 7 installed for a while, recently when i open it PS7 immideiately displays these error boxes before closing:

"you currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch and Windows’ primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume. Preferably on a different physical drive."

Then, when i click ok, it starts to load then after loading fonts etc. it displays this error:

"Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times, i have even installed on a seperate drive which i shouldn’t have to as it worked fine on the main drive originally, yet still get the same error each time..

PLEASE HELP…?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 8, 2007
Best thing is to reset the preferences (forum FAQ)

Rob
K
kt5com
May 8, 2007
How do i reset the preferences and where?
TI
Thomas_Ireland
May 8, 2007
I know! I know! Just check it out here…

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
K
kt5com
May 8, 2007
OK, deleted prefernces file.. but no joy, still same response, shuts down.. any other ideas..?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 8, 2007
Look on this thread:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3c7c3/1>

Hope it helps. Could be any number of things.
K
kt5com
May 8, 2007
OK,tried all these:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3c7c3/1>

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=3332 40>

STILL, no joy, tried deleting prefs and creating new accounts, still nothing.

HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP……….
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
"you currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch and Windows’ primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume. Preferably on a different physical drive."

that’s not an error. it’s information only. you can get rid of it by going into prefrences and changing the primary scratch drive from "Startup" to "C:\"

do you have the 7.01 updates installed?

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1851>

install them. then reset the prefrences again. make sure you either physically delete the file or you see the message asking you if you want to reset the ps prefrences.
P
Phosphor
May 8, 2007
kt5com…

Long URLs break the forum fomatting
when you view with a browser.

Regulars here find that supremely annoying.

Check out <http://urlx.org>

It shortens links, and adds a bit
identifying where the link takes you (Unlike
TinyURL, which reveals nothing about
where the link will take you).
K
kt5com
May 8, 2007
Downloaded update.. uninstalled, reinstalled in safe mode, reset prefs and removed any from registry and rebooted, still same error and shuts down..

H
E
L
P
!
S
stevent
May 9, 2007
Did you get the message that your preferences had been deleted? Holding Alt, Ctrl, and Shift by itself is no guarantee unless you get the dialogue box asking to confirm.
K
kt5com
May 9, 2007
Yes, Held down Ctrl, Alt and Shift at photoshop startup, got message asking do i want to delete preferences, clicked ok but didnt get a second confirm box.. should i??

also deleted via registry.

Drive clean, No errors and plenty of space..

any ideas?

thanks..
S
stevent
May 9, 2007
Just the confirm to delete is right.

Have you checked the event viewer (admin tools – control panel) for the error?
K
kt5com
May 9, 2007
Hi stevent

I confirmed deletion in photoshop startup and deleted via application data..

I opened the event viewer.. what am i looking for here?

I get Application / Security / System..

Under Application there are a lot of logs Type: Information and Error..

Not sure what i’m looking for here..

Regards.
K
kt5com
May 9, 2007
I would say it’s a software problem as it’s failing on both my desktop and laptop..

Any Ideas.. Anyone Else had this Problem.. All i want to do is fix it and get on with the work..

If can’t may result in reformat and reinstall, just didn’t want to give up a day reinstalling every bloody program..

arghhhh….

I need a Guinness..
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2007
longshot kt, but try creating a dummy system printer (adobe pdf is a good one) assign it locally (lpt1:) and make that your SYSTEM DEFAULT printer from the printers applet in the control panel.
K
kt5com
May 9, 2007
Thank Dave, just tried it with Adobe pdf.. still no joy.. i can’t believe this is such a common fault on the blogs and adobe let alone anyone else havnt got an answer to why and how to solve this..

Maybe if i get the ex to strip to her t-bar, spray whipped cream over her and rub the laptop till it’s lathered up.. might not work but could be fun to watch..

I’ll try anything at this point as all signs seem to be don’t know and pointing towards a fresh wipe and complete reinstall.. just my bleedin luck..
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2007
maybe that will help (pick which one! <g>)
K
kt5com
May 9, 2007
thanks all.. any other ideas or advice greatly received…
K
kt5com
May 10, 2007
still no bleedin’ joy.. any other ideas……………….?????????

Anyone had any replies from adobe that actually make sense and solve this problem..?

Very much looking like a re-format re-install..
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2007
Very much looking like a re-format re-install..

well, at this point i wouldn’t expect any help from adobe on ps7 as they’re 3 versions past it.
K
kt5com
May 10, 2007
cheers dave. you’d think they’d support past probs tho..

whats the order of progression after ps7, ps8, ps9, cs1, cs2???
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 10, 2007
Before you take the drastic step of reformatting, open a Command window and enter "chkdsk c: /r" to repair any bad sectors or whatever on the boot drive. It will run on reboot.

If that finds no errors, do a repair install of Windows. Boot from the Windows CD, bypass the stop that offers the Recovery Console option. At the next stop, press "R" for a repair install.

Only if that fails to get you going will you need to reformat.

The product sequence is PS7, CS, CS2, CS3.
K
kt5com
May 10, 2007
thanks joe, will give it a go.. when you say bypass the stop that offers the recovery console option, how do you mean?
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2007
whats the order of progression after ps7, ps8, ps9, cs1, cs2???

it went 7, cs ( 8 ), cs2 ( 9 ), cs3 ( 10 )

straight to cs3 is your upgrade path. you can upgrade at up to 3 versions back (that’s version 7 for now)

do a repair install of Windows.

that’s a good option, but takes almost as long as a full format/install. your call. if it’s been more than say a year or so, i’d opt for the backup/format/install route. your system will run like new!
K
kt5com
May 10, 2007
thanks guys..

will let you know how i get on.. in the mean time if anyone comes up with an answer to this photoshop error.. please let me know. would like to know prob caused in case it happens again, i’m assuming it’s definately a software prob as i have the same fault with photoshop on both laptop and desktop.

regards

kj
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 10, 2007
…when you say bypass the stop…

That means just press Enter.

True, a repair install takes almost as long as a bare metal install, but you won’t have to reinstall your programs, figure out where to plug in your e-mail files, etc. And, after all you’ve been through, what’s another 45 minutes?

I so dislike coming up from bare metal because it takes me many hours to reinstall all my utilities and redo all my little tweaks. Life is hard.
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2007
I so dislike coming up from bare metal because it takes me many hours to reinstall all my utilities and redo all my little tweaks. Life is hard.

<nodding> but sometimes it IS worth it. especially if you’ve got 3 years of gunk installed! 🙂
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 10, 2007
if you’ve got 3 years of gunk installed!

Are you kidding? With all my tinkering, I’ve never managed to get XP to run for more than one year! 🙂

But yeah, it’s always a trade-off, and sometimes a toss-up. I almost always do the repair install first, because 45 minutes beats 8 or 10 hours every time.

As a curious aside, my current XP Pro installation (almost a year old now) has several diseases. Outlook no longer puts its envelope icon in the notification area when I get e-mail, Windows is openly hostile toward any network computer attempting to access its disk drives (but it can access other computers’ drives just fine), every once in a while there is a delay of a minute or so when first running the simplest of programs, even with no other computers plugged in to the router, and sometimes Windows just gets confused and I have to reboot. Yet, with all those nagging little problems, CS3 installed smooth as butter. Go figger.
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2007
I almost always do the repair install first, because 45 minutes beats 8 or 10 hours every time.

sadly me too. i’m gearing up for a full format though in the next couple months. i woulda had it done already if i’d had an sp2 install disk 2 months ago when i ran into the pci-e problem with 16x vid cards. i created a slipstreamed one after that, but am in the middle of a good game (oblivion) that i don’t want to restart. when i’m done with that i’ll go the format route!

Yet, with all those nagging little problems, CS3 installed smooth as butter.

yea, as i said early on when people started reporting problems, i suspect it has a lot to do with how well tuned & cleaned you keep system, regardless of what’s installed.
JJ
John Joslin
May 10, 2007
Or in my case regardless of what’s running in the background!
K
kt5com
May 10, 2007
thanks guys.. if you have any solutions to this come your way, please let me know.. keep smiling…… KJ

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections