JR
Posted By
James_Rowerdink
Jan 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I find it annoying that CS4 opens with the Rectangular Marquee tool active, causing me to switch to the Move tool. I have tried to save a new workspace setup hoping the Move tool would be selected, but that didn’t work.

Am I missing something obvious? If not, any suggestions?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jan 16, 2009
any suggestions?

worry about something more important?

Seriously I hadn’t noticed that until you brought it up. no big deal really. It seems I’m always switching tools in photoshop. Maybe you need to learn the keyboard shortcuts.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 16, 2009
Command (apple/cloverleaf) key will temporarily activate the move tool. I usually only jump to the move tool (v key) to key in percentages/blend modes for layers. Any better ideas for that?
JR
James_Rowerdink
Jan 16, 2009
Buko,

Thanks for the help. I know the major keyboard shortcuts. My question was not based on worry or ignorance. It seemed curious to me that Adobe would make the marquee tool the default tool, with no way of changing that default. My time in process management has made me a slave to reducing steps, not adding steps.

If there is no answer to my question, then this thread can be put to bed.

Good day.
PR
Paul_R
Jan 16, 2009
The thing being it isn’t the default. Just tested it, it seems that it defaults to the marquee tool if the tool selected was the move tool. If you select any other tool close and the open Photoshop it is still that tool.
Yes there is a work-a-round but would need a small script and setting it up in Scripts Event Manager.
PR
Paul_R
Jan 16, 2009
Just had another test, now this is strange, if you change to the Elliptical Marquee Tool the select the Move tool. Close and restart allthough the Elliptical Marquee Tool is still showing, it is the Rectangular Marquee Tool that is active!.

If you would like the code here it is…

#target photoshop

if(findCurrentTool() == ‘marqueeRectTool’ || findCurrentTool() == ‘marqueeEllipTool’) selectTool(‘moveTool’);

function selectTool(tool) {

var desc9 = new ActionDescriptor();

var ref7 = new ActionReference();

ref7.putClass( app.stringIDToTypeID(tool) );

desc9.putReference( app.charIDToTypeID(‘null’), ref7 );

executeAction( app.charIDToTypeID(‘slct’), desc9, DialogModes.NO );

};

function findCurrentTool(){

var ref = new ActionReference();

ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("capp"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") );

var cTool = typeIDToStringID(executeActionGet(ref).getEnumerationType(st ringIDToTypeID(‘tool’)));

return cTool;

}

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections