J
Posted By
JWeber
Jan 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes when I open a file when in app frame the file opens as a blank white window. If I select another open document tab I find that window all of a sudden blank white too. Then if I click another tab that window will all of a sudden show correctly then going back to the previous 2 they now show. Does anyone else see this? It doesn’t happen all the time, just occasionally.

* Also OGL is turned off.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 15, 2009
Leopard or Tiger? Do you have spaces on?
J
JWeber
Jan 15, 2009
Leopard 10.5.6/no Spaces.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 15, 2009
Ok I agree with you CS4 is a LOT more flaky with these kind of glitches than CS3 was. Feels almost to me like some fundamental incompatability with the OS, as you say the problems are inconsistant, happening almost randomly. Are you saying its actually TURNING open GL off by itself? If this is the case it suggests some graphics card issues.
J
JWeber
Jan 15, 2009
No, I mentioned having turned off OGL because it can sometimes be a culprit in video related glitches and would be the first question I’d ask. If it was turned off by the app that would be something!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 16, 2009
How big are the files?
And are they stored on your own computer, or are you opening them across a network?
J
JWeber
Jan 16, 2009
Files size doesn’t seem to be an issue as they are all different sizes, none of which are very large. Maybe 20-75 megs or much less. All of them are located on an internal drive. Scratch disc is separated etc.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 16, 2009
Have you tried trashing your prefs.?

I also wonder if you have damaged Directories. How long is it since you last ran DiskWarrior?
J
JWeber
Jan 16, 2009
Didn’t try trashing prefs. DW was within the last 2 weeks or so but maybe time again.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 17, 2009
There’s no way file size is going to have anything to do with your issue, or even trashing preferences. Thats ancient school. I’ve noticed these glitches too on Apple fitted Graphics cards. My theory is its most probably some kind of coding issue related to graphics cards and other software running at the same time (maybe even including the Leopard Finder). Remember, this is the first time Adobe have put anything together performance-wise for Video Cards, so give them a chance.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Trashing preferences is generally speaking, old school.

Which nevertheless solves a myriad of problems for many users. Preference files do get corrupted, especially on poorly maintained machines. It certainly can’t hurt.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 17, 2009
Mark,

Trashing preferences is generally speaking, old school.

Maybe. But no reason to stop doing it when appropriate to the well-being of your computer.

Some folks skip oil changes for their cars, too.

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Some folks skip oil changes for their cars, too.

Hmmm… Oil changes are mandatory routine maintenance.

While I do regard Repairing Permissions and running DiskWarrior as essential, indispensable routine maintenance, I view Trashing Preferences as something to do only when there is an actual likelihood that the preferences file has become corrupted. I haven’t had a need to trash my preferences in a very long time; but that’s something I routinely advice doing anytime things begin to act weird suddenly.
J
JWeber
Jan 17, 2009
BMW says my MINI only needs its oil changed every 20K miles. That would be comparable to throwing my prefs away maybe once every year or year and a half!

I’ve been working all evening and it just happened again. Here is a short movie. The only way to get out of the blank screen was to leave app frame mode.
< http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/jweb34/PS/?action=v iew&current=Tabs.flv>
B
Buko
Jan 17, 2009
App Frame sucks!!!
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
App Frame sucks!!!

Ditto.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
JWeber,

Did you trash your prefs or not?

Did you create a new account on your Mac and tested to see if the problen persists or goes away in the new account?
J
JWeber
Jan 17, 2009
No, not yet on the prefs. I wanted to get some work done and not have to reset everything.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 17, 2009
"I haven’t had a need to trash my preferences in a very long time" – neither have I. In fact I was running CS3 for more than a year, and can’t remember doing this once.

Your oil changes should be Permissions, System Cache cleanup, and maintenance scripts.

On the subject of the App frame, it occurs to me that CS2 had a wonderful interface, and why on earth no-one at Adobe ever realised this I’ll never know. To go back to what I’ve said again and again, please if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
In fact I was running CS3 for more than a year, and can’t remember doing this once.

I only remember having to do it a few times with the first release of Photoshop CS 9.0 CS, never in CS3 or CS4. Knocking on wood.
J
JWeber
Jan 28, 2009
I deleted prefs, ran Disc Warrior, stood on my left foot etc. an it still happens. But I did discover one thing after paying closer attention. It seems to only happen when opening an NEF or DNG file from ACR opened from within Bridge. I don’t know what this means, but it seems to be the periodic case.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 29, 2009
Have you updated both ACR and DNG to at least v.5.2?

I would also try compacting and/or purging your individual folder caches in Bridge.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections