AC
Posted By
Adam_C_Camilleri
Jan 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have been asked by a customer to try and achieve the following: They have a number of eps’s of a flat screen TV’s. For each TV, there is a path around the outside. We will call this Path 1. There is a second path around the screen of the TV. We will call this Path 2.
Is there a way of placing another image, and fitting content to frame (just like in Indesign), using Path 2 as the bounding box?
We are using both CS3 and CS4.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 15, 2009
Action or a script no such feature.i was just speaking of this a couple of hours ago here on the forum.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 15, 2009
I personally would prefer a Script but like Wade said it might be doable with an Action. In either case I guess it depends on the number of images to be edited if it’s worth the effort.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 15, 2009
Whether its possible or not depends on whether your destination images (the ones to be placed) are all the same dimensions. If not then you need either a script, or there may be a quicker although not completely automated way using Smart Objects.

More information is needed – the number of images?
AC
Adam_C_Camilleri
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for all your responses.
Mark we may be looking at anything up to 400 images in one batch so some sort of automated process would have to be used. And yes all the resulting images would be the same size and dimension.
Thanks again
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 16, 2009
Adam, if it’s urgent and You/Your customer are willing to pay for the Script/Scripting assistance I would advise You to contact one of the professionals that frequent the Photoshop Scripting-forum.
See
xbytor, "HELP::About CopyRight to Modify and distribute the Photoshop Script" #2, 15 Jan 2009 9:30 am </webx?13/1>
for instance and maybe do a forum search.

And I think Mark meant the images to be put into the screens, not the resulting ones.
AC
Adam_C_Camilleri
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Christopher
The image going in to each screen will be the same image. All the resulting ones will be the same size.
I’ll have a look over there.
Thanks all for your help
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 16, 2009
Tried posting a cobbled-together-Script but I guess I must have formatted it wrong or something so it doesn’t appear here.
Anyway, Adam, if You are willing to disclose Your email-address (don’t include the »at«-symbol maybe to camouflage it) I could email it to You.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 16, 2009
YOU DON’T NEED ANY PAID HELP Adam. Scripts are not necessary for this. Actions in Photoshop are extremely powerful (fortunately) and will do everything you need.

Here’s some tips to see if you can do it yourself first – When making your action you can select all, copy and paste between documents. Its easiest if you have only two documents open at the time. You just need the "frame’ document and the ‘picture’ document. The action needs to also record the document closing steps.

If you need any more help on this I will help you out. This is 100% an ACTION situation, not requiring any conditionals.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 17, 2009
Mark, while Scripts may not be necessary they can add a level of convenience unattainable with Actions.
As concerns the PAID HELP, the Photoshop Scripting Forum has a couple regulars who, while they may offer their services professionally, still give their advice freely; but in case Adam has no Scripting-experience his needs, should he choose to try a Scripting-solution, might exceed »advice«.
Having only recently started to appreciate and utilize the capabilities of JavaScript for Photoshop myself I may appear overzealous in advocating it, but everybody will have to decide for themselves if they want to give it a try.

With possibly hundreds of images I wouldn’t want to rely on the screens (or their paths) to all have the same diameter and a Script can allow for that with transforming the placed image according to the height or width so as to always fill the area completely (thus clipping at the top/bottom or left/right depending on the relation).
And (though too complicated for myself) it would be possible to let Photoshop work off folders and not get stuck by the occasional file that doesn’t conform to the naming conventions or lacks a path by ignoring it and documenting unedited files at the end.

That’s always assuming that the photographs of the tv-sets are fairly frontal, because if they are in perspective then the matter gets much more complicated, but what with the allusion to doing it in Indesign I concluded perspectival transformation isn’t required anyway.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 18, 2009
Sorry, Christoph but scripting is simply NOT the best answer for this problem.

"add a level of convenience unattainable with Actions" Thats simply not true, and betrays a lack of understanding of both the power and broadness of Actions – not only are Actions more convenient to record, they are also more convenient to run. In addition they are much easier to edit than scripts, its mush easier to assign shortcuts to them, and they don’t delay and lag while reading read the script off the disk.

Adam has destination images at a consistant size, so the rest of what you say looks like it has been created to boost your argument only.

In any situation where there are no conditionals involved Actions are always the best solution. Faffing around with script sytax is not for creatives. I notice people who havent bothered to learn exactky HOW POWERFUL actions are, using more and more scripting to do things that woul be best done with actions all long.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 19, 2009
Mark, You may question my familiarity with Actions, but I don’t intend to try and convince You or the original poster of my Photoshop-credentials.

I work a lot for prepress-purposes but have only little experience with projects of a really great volume apart from occasional annual reports, still I tried to factor in what problems I would expect in what sounds to me to be a catalog-production, possibly even periodically published.
The original poster can certainly disregard my advice if I assumed wrongly or even if I should be right.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 19, 2009
Cristoph I made a trip to the scripting forum recently and noticed your posts there, they are quite knowledgeable. Obviously scripting is an interest of yours, and to be honest my knowledge in this area is pretty basic.

The reasons for me me attacking what I see as incomplete advice, are partly that the person receiving it generally needs a powerful but SIMPLE solution not a complex one. Also, I am increasingly aware of what look like ill-educated decisions being taken at Adobe with regard to new feature development. I am trying to make sure Actions, a fantastic and underrated resource, are SUPPORTED and not undermined in the future. Already certain new functionality is not being properly written to support Actions and that worries me.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 20, 2009
Actually I’m still heavily dependent on the advice of the regulars in the Scripting Forum even in very basic JavaScript-matters, but I find Scripts intriguing.
But I certainly still use Actions, especially when the number of images to edit simply doesn’t warrant a Script.

But as I don’t use Actions very heavily nowadays I hadn’t noticed missing support for new features.
It’s certainly a legitimate cause for concern when a tool or function one relies on shows diminished performance – have You mentioned it in the Feature Requests yet?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections