P
Posted By
PictureDude
Jan 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can make an action to save a file to a folder. But when I play that action, it wants to save it to that folder that i first recorded to.

Is there any way to create an action that would simply take a psd file and save as a jpg file, to the folder that the psd file is in.

So where ever that original file is, it will save a jpg file.

Hopefully you understand what I’m trying to do…

Gary Leif

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
randalqueen
Jan 14, 2009
I think if you don’t use the Save As but when you select Close and it asks if you want to save that that would be in the same folder. If you Save As and point to a folder, it will record that save in that folder
PR
Paul_R
Jan 14, 2009
Look at:-
Files – Scripts – Scripts Event Manager
Enable Events to run Scripts/Actions
Photoshop Event : Save Document
Script : Save Extra JPEG.jsx

You might have to amend the script as it only saves with a very low quality.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 14, 2009
PicDude:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b73e94/25>

Just record an action that saves an already open image as a JPG. If you need to convert to profile, resize, etc, you can do that too in the action. Then batch that action on your umbrella folder as source, with save and close as the destination and "override action save…" checked. See the above linked post if I wasn’t clear.

J
P
PictureDude
Jan 15, 2009
J Maloney,

I don’t quite understand what your saying. Can you send a screenshot of how this works, so I can try to do that?

Thanks,
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 15, 2009
Picture Dude, I consider Paul R is to be listened to Scripting-wise, but I think his recommendation in this case overshoots Your needs as it would save an additional jpg every time You save a document if I understand correctly.
But Scripts are the way to go in my opinion; You might try this:

#target photoshop

var thedoc = app.activeDocument;

var docName = thedoc.name;

var basename = docName.match(/(.*)\.[^\.]+$/)[1];

var docPath = thedoc.path;

var jpegOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();

jpegOptions.quality = 10;

jpegOptions.embedColorProfile = true;

thedoc.saveAs((new File(docPath+’/’+basename+’.jpg’)),jpegOptions,true);

After copying that text into a new file in ExtendScript Toolkit, placing it in Presets – Scripts and restarting Photoshop one can assign it a Keyboard Shortcut or record it in an Action.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 15, 2009
The action would look like this. It doesn’t matter what directory you save the file when you record.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1qCi6nppPz0VnW57se 0O1Sk2ihnam1>

And the batch would look like this.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1n3MZbxborOSC4ZtWv D8oygXggFeN1>
P
PictureDude
Jan 15, 2009
Wow,

Those were both great!

I think I’ll stick with the Scripts.

Where can you find out more about scripts that are written?

I don’t think I could figure out how to write them, but I can certainly paste them into a script…

Thanks,

Gary
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 15, 2009
»Adobe Intro To Scripting.pdf« and »Photoshop CS4 Scripting Guide.pdf« can be a good starting point.
Plus there are a couple extremely competent persons that frequent the Photoshop Scripting Forum (other programs’ Scripting fora too of course).

One of the beauties of Scripts for saving copies is that You can quite easily write additional suffixes for the resulting files into Your Scripts to signify low resolution-copies, separation-profiles etc.
And even if You prefer Actions certain things that generally elude those can be recorded via small Scripts.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections