JH
Posted By
Jonathan_Harvey
May 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently installed Photoshop CS3 and am trying to get photos into bridge directly from my Canon EOS 1Ds MkII. (Under the File menu)

Although Bridge sees the camera, it reports that there are no valid image files.

OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

Can anyone please advise me on this.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 7, 2007
The safest option is always to copy the files into a folder on your hard disk first, preferably via a card reader.
JH
Jonathan_Harvey
May 7, 2007
Thanks for that, however I would really like to use the new features offerd by that command.

I have gone further into this, and according to Bridge Help I should get, but do not, "Adobe Bridge CS3 Photo Downloader" in the Autoplay window when I plug the camera in.

I also neglected to say that I only shoot in RAW.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 7, 2007
Jonathan,

I just tried it with my CF card containing Nikon RAW files and it seems to work fine when I launch ‘File’->’Get Photos from Camera’ from within BR2.

Windows ‘Autoplay’ lists Bridge as a valid association with "Pictures". That entry/option would have been added by the BR2 install. But I suspect that it’s Windows that isn’t recognizing the RAW files as a valid "Picture" format. I assume that’s why it’s not auto-launching.

FWIW, I would *really* dislike it if Bridge downloader popped up every time I accessed media containing ‘Pictures’. Sounds like something that more folks would want to get rid of real fast rather than enable.

There’s probably a Windows Registry entry to add RAW formats to the recognized ‘Picture’ formats and someone else here is perhaps qualified to suggest what needs changing. But I’d prefer to simply launch ‘Get Photos from Camera’ only when I need it.

Hope this helps.

Russell 🙂
ND
Nick_Decker
May 7, 2007
I’m one of those that gets the Bridge Downloader any time I insert a camera card or a CD or DVD with "pictures" on it. Same goes for a "mixed content" CD or DVD.

There are often times when I want to simply browse the contents of a CD/DVD, or move those contents to another drive, etc., without opening Bridge. For Adobe to assume that anytime "pictures" are involved, Bridge will be involved is a mistake.

That said, I believe someone posted that you could download the TweakUI utility and regain control of the Autoplay function.
E
EmJayPrice
May 8, 2007
It is due to the way that Canon wrote the driver for Windows. Te get the RAWs you need a card reader.

I do remember reading a while back that you could also switch the camera to the other transfer mode. I think it might be ptp mode. If PTP is the default then it is the other mode. I have never tried it though so I can’t say if it works or not.

wrote in message
Thanks for that, however I would really like to use the new features offerd by that command.

I have gone further into this, and according to Bridge Help I should get, but do not, "Adobe Bridge CS3 Photo Downloader" in the Autoplay window when I plug the camera in.

I also neglected to say that I only shoot in RAW.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
JH
Jonathan_Harvey
May 8, 2007
Many thanks for all the replies to my original posting.

I whole heartedly agree that having Autoplay start everytime media is inserted, be it a DVD/CD or Flashdrive can be a bit of a pain

However, the PC on which I am having the problem is only used for digital processing, so the only thing that gets plugged into it are cameras.

Russell you are correct, Windows for some reason or the other is not recognising the RAW files. Even if I open an Explorer window, the files are not seen.

Unless I get this sorted I will start using a card reader. Otherwise I shall continue to use Canons own file viewer utility.

I cannot find the PTP setting on my camera, perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Best wishes

Jonathan
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 19, 2007
Russell you are correct, Windows for some reason or the other is not recognising the RAW files. Even if I open an Explorer window, the files are not seen.

Might be too late to get back into this thread. But are you saying that your RAW images are not showing up in Window’s explorer? There’s something seriously wrong if that’s the case.

Russell
P
Patrice023
Jun 12, 2007
Jonathan,

I have the same problem. When I try to download my photos (JPEG+RAW) directly from my Canon EOS 350D with Adobe Photo Downloader of Bridge CS3 2.1, only the JPEG files are recognized, RAW are ignored !!!

Patrice
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 12, 2007
Canon DSLRs, by default, are not set to appear as mass storage devices (i.e., disk drives), so they either don’t show up at all or don’t provide full access to their files in Windows Explorer (and most likely Bridge, if it attempts to access them through the file system. I think this behavior can be changed via one of the camera menu options.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections