LP
Posted By
Lee_Pearsall
Jul 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I learned to use Picture It as my photo editing software and have now transferred to PSE. I recently took a few photos in which I inadvertently included some people’s legs. I don’t want them there!!

It was easy is PI to erase the legs and automatically replace that area with a background that is near it. In other words, the legs go and the wall and bookshelf that would have been there if the legs weren’t.

I presume that it also can easily be done in PSE but all I’ve been able to do is to replace the legs with transparency. That’s not what I want.

How do I do this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
David G House
Jul 26, 2004
Lee….

Depending on the amount of "legs" you want to remove the "Clone" tool should do the trick for you…. I would reccommend that you make a Duplicate Layer and work of that so as not to do anything to the orginal…. If your not certain how to use the Clone Tool.. open the "How To" WINDOWS>HOW TO ,,, or take from the Pallete Well… then you click on the "Clone Tool .. a mini tutoril will open explaining how to use it….

Good Luck.. and let us know how you make out….

David
DG
David G House
Jul 26, 2004
..ooops P.S…. The Clone tool is in the Tool Bar along the Left side of the Work Area.. kinda looks like Rubber Stamp with a handle on it……

David
LP
Lee_Pearsall
Jul 26, 2004
Okay, thanks a lot.

I knew it could be done. I just didn’t know the terminology from PI to PSE.

Lee
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 26, 2004
Lee,

Here’s my favorite trick. Lasso in the good background. Hold in the ctrl and alt key…see the arrow head in the lasso has turned to double arrow heads. Just drag the section over the legs. By the way, you can use the same selection multiple times or patch with another section. Who says you can’t patch in elements! You can clean up hard edges with the clone stamp at a LOW opacity…or you could just feather your lasso selection to begin with but this may diffuse your cover material too much if the selected area is small.
(I must note make sure you are on the correct layer as with any selection.)

Terri
LP
Lee_Pearsall
Jul 26, 2004
Okay, thank you. I tried the first trick (using the Clone Stamp) and it worked okay but it took a lot of effort, especially when you switched from the sofa color, to the rug, and with shadows in between. But if you print it no larger than 4×6 and if the other person did not know that you took me out of it, it was okay. I’m going to try the lasso trick on the next photo. My problem is that these were inside shots with lots of baby toys, furniture, walls, and other different shaded things in the room.

But, at least now I know the trick can be done (just like the Soviets did in the old days) and I can prove I didn’t ruin the shot because my legs were in the way.

Lee
DG
David G House
Jul 26, 2004
Glad to have been of some assistence Lee….

David
DG
David G House
Jul 26, 2004
Terri..

I’ll have to try that lil trick of your’s myself… the things ya find out by turffin work and reading the adobe forums … 😀

David
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 26, 2004
Lee,

I have a two year at home. I know what you mean about the toys and such. Those precious got to have momments always seem to occur with clutter in the background. Do you have another picture of the room? The lasso duplication trick will work between photo files. Just open both photos in your work area. Lasso good stuff from one photo and transplant into cluttered photo. If you had light and shadow problems, you can use the burn and dodge tools to dupe light and shadow. Use a low setting for these like maybe 20% and use MIDTONES so you only change the luminosity not the color. Another option would be to create a couple of blank layers over the photo. (One for shadow and one for light). Paint shadows using black….then blur the black with Gaussian blur and adjust the shadow layer’s opacity to taste. Works the same way with light layer but you use white paint instead of black.

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 26, 2004
Terri, something told me to go to the Artist’s pages and now I know why. Do i see a little baby in that pic ? Is this the two year old now ? …Oh, do I see some ‘red eye’ in that pic ? <rollin>…sorry, havin fun with ya.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 26, 2004
Jodi,

You are too bad! Yes, that’s my two year old…well maybe about 6 months old in the photo. I was pretty new to PSE, and rather zealous with the clone stamp too. Note my botox look. I remember the lighting cast shadows in a horridous way. It was yuck city!

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 26, 2004
Terri, you have come such a lllooooonnnng way since then ! I do remember when this image was first posted and this was the reason I brought it up, actually. So far in so little time ! Now you can write a book ! I wish my kids were 2 again. They were so much easier back then..XD. Now it’s 6 in one week and a 3 year old who wont be 4 til next March ! They drive me mad i tell ya !
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 26, 2004
Jodi,

Appreciate the compliment. I don’t know about the easy part. I’m 37 with an extremely active two year old. (See what I mean’t about the clone stamp.) Digitally removing crumbs, baby drool, and kiddy clutter along with the challenges and lots of PS books have all sharpened my skills. The clone stamp is my buddy.

Terri
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 26, 2004
"horridous"… I’m officially stealing that word! LOL
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 26, 2004
Darn it, I mean’t horrendous.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 26, 2004
Horridous … sounds much better 🙂

Wendy
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 27, 2004
wrote> Horridous … sounds much better
🙂

I agree!!!

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 27, 2004
Terri, I know about ‘extremely active’ 2 year olds. Mine were the same way…guess what ?…. THEY STAY extremely active ! Once a runner always a runner. Ever go somewhere and see someone else’s kid just sit there and not do anything ? Well, nice BUT do we really want a kid like that ? NO ! An active child means an active mind which of course is a good thing..right ? 🙂 My daughter will be six on friday. My daughter has been learning to use my PS7 program for the past few months. She forgets sometimes to create new layers and gets very angry when she tries to erase something and erases too much. She’ll get it tho. I’m hoping she’ll grow up to be the best darn Photoshop Guru on the planet!! 🙂 Problem is….there is only one computer in the house at the moment and her mommy is addicted to it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections