HS
Posted By
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a B&W print nut, OK. I have finally reached the stage where I feel that my computer prints equal my darkroom prints.(I have a separate head with six shades of gray ink, the Quad series) Now my question, will the difference in quality justify spending the money for the profile? Does profiling work with B&W prints? Seems to me the reason for profiling is to match the color on the monitor with the print color.

Thanks, Hugh

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
I don’t know anything about B & W profiling and I’m sure someone here does..but my question…which printer are you using ? This will help alot.
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi;

Sorry about that, I print with a Canon S800

Hugh
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 23, 2004
Hugh,
I make my own profiles using Monaco Ezcolor. There is no provision for making B&W specific profiles that I’m aware of, BUT my B&W prints, done with the color inks are much more accurate using my color media profiles than they were before. Part of the IT-8 Target that is printed and scanned as part of the profiling process is monochrome .

I’m not sure that this should reassure you that your money will be well spent on a profile <G> . The better solution is using quadtone inks ( or some other strictly non color solution ) to specialize in B& W Prints.
🙂

Brent
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks Brent.

I do use the quadtone inks and some of the really fine papers that in the past have been only used by artists.

Hugh
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 23, 2004
Hugh,
Are you using the MIS Quadtones ? I’m thinking of trying them in my 4 color Epson 1520, and I’m wondering how difficult you think the workflow is ?

🙂

Brent
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Brent;

I get my Quad inks, six different cartridges for my S800 printer from Digital Art Supplies 9596 B Chesapeake Drive in San Diego CA 92123 and I notice they are sent from Photofile, 466 Central Ave, Suite 31,Northfield, Illinois. Seems to me the Quad inks come from an ink maker in England but I can’t remember the name.(Lyson?)
The Digital catalog lists both Epson and Canon Quad inks, their tele is 1-877-534-4278. They will also send paper samples.
No experience with Epson, but Canon is dead simple. (If it wasn’t I would not be able to use it) Hugh

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections