JD
Posted By
Joel_Dannelley
May 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve noticed that CS3 extended doesn’t recognize expresscard media like a Lexar Expresscard SSD 8GB as a valid drive to put a scrach disk on. Anyone know a way around this?

I assume that our fine Photoshop developers didn’t want to trust that a user would leave it installed while Photoshop was running and that pulling it out while PS is running would be like crossing the streams of your proton packs…..

But….
What if I PROMISE to leave it in?

Thanks,
Joel

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2007
Your scratch disk needs to be on a fast internal drive. To do as you suggest would cause incredible slow-down due to the way Photoshop utilizes the scratch disk.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 4, 2007
Chris,

That was my thought as well, yet I’d never heard of the Expresscard and see that it is a new type of card slot in laptops, replacing the CardBus slot. If so, and if…my not knowing…it is as fast a bus interface as SATA, then flash memory plugged into such a slot might provide faster access than conventional hard drives and thus be suitable as a scratch disk. On the other hand, if it’s no better than USB2 or Firewire, then it would surely result in slower PS operation than use of an internal hard drive.

Daryl
RP
rudy.peev
Jun 28, 2007
On May 4, 5:32 pm, wrote:
Chris,

That was my thought as well, yet I’d never heard of theExpresscardand see that it is a new type of card slot in laptops, replacing the CardBus slot. If so, and if…my not knowing…it is as fast a bus interface as SATA, then flash memory plugged into such a slot might provide faster access than conventional hard drives and thus be suitable as a scratch disk. On the other hand, if it’s no better than USB2 or Firewire, then it would surely result in slower PS operation than use of an internal hard drive.

Daryl

The problem with the Lexar ExpressCard is that it only handles about 3MB/s write speed so it wouldn’t be very good for use with apps that constatnly write and read from it. Read speed is a more reasonable 15MB/s. The Transcend SSD ExpressCard should have a better performance since it uses direct ExpressCard to Flash interface (from what I was told by Transcend) as compared to Lexar’s which actually takes the ExpressCard interface, converts it with an internal controller to USB2 and the Flash is connected to that (all in one package).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections