D
Posted By
DGPhoto
May 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS3 with no issues. However, every time that I try to open more than one image (of any format, and by any method – menu, dragdrop, doubleclick, from bridge) PS crashes with "an unhandled win32 exception occurred in Photoshop.exe[3188]"

I regard this application as junk and unusable at this time. My confidence in Adobe is badly shaken. I’m just glad that I didn’t uninstall CS2…

David

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 4, 2007
"I regard this application as junk and unusable at this time. My confidence in Adobe is badly shaken."

Uh huh. . .well, do you want help or are you satisfied with just ranting? Cause if you want help, it may be useful to include some basic info…you know, like what OS, what CPU, what ram allocation, whether you had the beta of CS3, whether or not you properly un-installed the beta. You know, the basic stuff that might help somebody HELP YOU…

Course, if ya just want to RANT, that’s ok too….won’t help YOU, but if it makes you feel better…
GB
Garth Braithwaite
May 9, 2007
I am having the same problem without the rant. I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit. I am using an Acer Ferrari 4000, it has the AMD 64 turion, and I upgraded to 3gigs of ram. I never had the beta. I did a clean install of Design Premium, though it is an upgrade version – I didn’t have cs2 installed I just put in the serial. It happens when ever I open a second image, so I can only work on one document/image at a time.
DB
David_Beronja
May 9, 2007
I’m getting the same problem. Install also went with out problems but getting the same error. I did try to uninstall CS2 and re-installing the CS3 Suite just in case there was a conflict. No change.

Gateway PC, XP Pro (2002) service pack 2, Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1gig Ram

No install of CS3 beta. I am using a Wacom Tablet with Control Panel 6.02-1 and Driver Version: 6.02-1. I upgraded the previous tablet drivers with no change
AP
Ariel_Popper
May 10, 2007
I have a problem similar to this as well. every time i try to start a new document or open a document photoshop crashes. there are no error numbers or anything, just a plain dialog that says:

"Adobe Photoshop CS3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." (with buttons for sending the report to microsoft or opening in a debugger)

had uninstalled both cs2 suite and the cs3 beta before installing web premium suite. i believe that i saw this behavior in cs2 after i had uninstalled the cs3 beta, but since i had web premium here i thought the new version would take care of it.

am running XP Pro x64 SP2, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM
GB
Garth Braithwaite
May 10, 2007
Yeah this is the error I get as well, just Vistafied.
wrote:
I have a problem similar to this as well. every time i try to start a new document or open a document photoshop crashes. there are no error numbers or anything, just a plain dialog that says:

"Adobe Photoshop CS3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." (with buttons for sending the report to microsoft or opening in a debugger)

had uninstalled both cs2 suite and the cs3 beta before installing web premium suite. i believe that i saw this behavior in cs2 after i had uninstalled the cs3 beta, but since i had web premium here i thought the new version would take care of it.

am running XP Pro x64 SP2, Core2Duo E6400, 2GB RAM
D
dtpplus
May 15, 2007
I was actually about to post to this group to see if anyone had resolved this issue. I actually have – at least for my instance. I have two Self-built machines – one Hyper Threaded P4 and one Core 2 Duo machine. Both had Adobe CS2 trial installed. ONe machine had Photohop CS3 standard installed on it (after the trail of CS2 was uninstalled) and the other had CS3 Extended installed.

Both exhibited the can’t open more than one file issue. I tried everything I could think of – finally managed to get a hold of Adobe. They forwarded an 11 page document with standard basic / intermediate and advanced trouble shooting tips for CS3.

In their they mention the Postscript Printer – which I thought there was no way that that could possibly be it. Well – that did fix the issue. I set the default printer on both machines to our networked Postscript printer and poof – I was able to open new and old files – numerous on screen and the like.

Hopefully this helps someone else somewhere along the line. It was actually nice to see someone else having the issue – there was not much out there the first time I Googled this problem.
D
DGPhoto
May 18, 2007
It’s not a suprise that I get flamed by some 12 year old. You want a rant Jeff? My post was far from it. The releases of 5.5, 6, 7, CS, and CS2, COMBINED, were less buggy for me than the release of CS3. Period. I spend enough time debugging MS apps after their release – I don’t have time to do that with Adobe too. If you’ve have better luck then enjoy it, but if you don’t have anything constructive to add then go play with some Legos.

For anyone who wants more information on my issue:
– it happens on 6 different machines: 2 Lenovo laptops, 2 Dells, and 2 homebuilts, ranging from a few years old to a few months old
– ram ranges from 1 to 3GB
– all are running Windows XP, fully updated
– all have Visual Studio installed, fully updated
– all are up to date on drivers, etc.
– some ran the beta, some didn’t
– some uninstalled CS2 first, some didn’t
– uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t help

If I debug it I get:
"Unhandled exception at 0x7c918fea in Photoshop.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000010."

And if you really like nuts and bolts, it breaks here:
….
7C918FA7 sete byte ptr [ebp+0Bh]
7C918FAB mov eax,dword ptr fs:[00000018h]
7C918FB1 movzx ecx,byte ptr [ebp+0Bh]
7C918FB5 mov dword ptr [eax+0F84h],ecx
7C918FBB cmp byte ptr ds:[7C97C030h],bl
7C918FC1 jne 7C919493
7C918FC7 mov al,byte ptr ds:[7C97C148h]
7C918FCC neg al
7C918FCE push edi
7C918FCF sbb eax,eax
7C918FD1 not eax
7C918FD3 and eax,7C97C140h
7C918FD8 mov edi,eax
7C918FDA mov eax,dword ptr [esi+10h]
7C918FDD cmp eax,ebx
7C918FDF mov dword ptr [ebp-4],eax
7C918FE2 je 7C919086
7C918FE8 mov eax,dword ptr [esi]
7C918FEA inc dword ptr [eax+10h] <– BREAK LINE …

David
JJ
John_Joslin
May 18, 2007
DGPhoto

You are making a fool of yourself.

Your original post wasn’t exactly lucid and you obviously don’t know who Jeff is!
DM
dave_milbut
May 18, 2007
It’s not a suprise that I get flamed by some 12 year old.

LMAO!

<http://www.schewephoto.com/>

HA! OK Mr Schewe, I’m going to have to see some ID if you want that 6 pack!!! 😛 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 18, 2007
DG meant it metaphorically, I presume.

C’mon, Jeff! Somewhere inside, doesn’t a 12 yoar old lurk there? I have one and he is always driving me crazy! Try this, try that.

Hey, whadda ya know! The kid was right!:D
D
DGPhoto
May 18, 2007
Um…that was intended to be a touch humorous. Next time I’ll include more smilies. And yes he has a nice website, and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, and I’m sure he’s been making far more for far longer than I have.

But if it’s not a rant don’t call it a rant. My original post was a starting point, because I was insanely busy and trying to get stuff out the door, so I was a tad rushed.

This isn’t my only issue with CS3, and since CS2 has been running flawlessly on some of the same systems, it would be logical to conclude the issues lie with CS3. The BETA didn’t even break as much as the production version. How often do you see that?

David
D
DGPhoto
May 18, 2007
OK, here’s more:

– we don’t have MS Intelipoint drivers, so I can’t remove those

– removing Bonjour didn’t help, although I don’t need the service running anyway

– changing my default printer from a network printer to "Adobe PDF" fixes the problem…wait what?

I verified this on both Dell boxes and a laptop. I’ll have to check this on one of the homebuilt machines tonight, because there it was happening with an attached Canon printer.

And since there was some confusion earlier, the following statement can freely be taken as a rant: there is no good reason that a default printer being on a network should cause an application of this caliber to crash in such an ungraceful manner.

More to follow.

David
T
tar4heel2
May 18, 2007
David is absolutely correct; He’s being nice about it, if you want my opinion. And it doesn’t matter who Jeff is, because David has hit the nail on the head; this is B******* that Adobe is putting everyone through this nonsense. Totally inexcusable. It is absurd to assume that the seasoned, professional, very busy user base is going to lie down for all the crap you have to do just to get the damned thing installed. They actually say to do a clean install of Windows XP and then install CS3? Do you have any idea what that entails and how much time and grief one has to endure to do that? Manual changes to registry, incomplete instructions during the final version install… crashes that have no fix, changes in the print dialoque box that are stupid…

Adobe should be taken out behind the barn… and to think they had the temerity to levy a 33% increase in price over the last upgrade pricing… pour salt in the wound…

Phil
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 18, 2007
Adobe needs to deal with it, yes. But here is one persons’s experience:

I installed or witnessed the installation of CS3 on four machines. Three went flawlessly. Two had Beta, two did not. Both machines w/o Beta went flawlessly. My machine did have Beta and I had no trouble. The last machine did also have Beta and it was a messy installation, but it is now running.

FWIW.
AP
Ariel_Popper
May 18, 2007
Just FYI. The change default printer to Adobe also worked for my problem (detailed earlier in the thread). The only other printer i had installed was Microsoft XPS Document Writer. Thanks.
KH
Kim_Huff
May 31, 2007
I am also having the same problem. I did have CS2, but this is a new machine and was installed for me after the laptop was built.

This is a custom built laptop with an MSI case and motherboard. AMD Duo Core 1.8 ghz with 533 fsb, has 2gbs of ram, 100 gb sata 7200 rpm hd, has a bunch of other features like card reader, webcam, etc but dont think you need that. I always disable the touchpad (i hate those things) and use my USB MS Trackball.

The performance tab in preferences has the following:

Available RAM: 1711 MB
Ideal Range: 941-1232 MB
Let Photoshop Use: 941 MB (55%)
Scratch Disk points to the C drive ands says free space 53 GB

Not sure what else you might need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Kim
KH
Kim_Huff
May 31, 2007
I forgot to mention that I am using XP Pro with SP2

Kim
KH
Kim_Huff
Jun 1, 2007
FYI, I just saw DG’s post about changing the printer to ADOBE PDF as the default and it worked.

I can keep it like this for now, but does anyone know if Adobe is working on a fix for this?

Kim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections