SL
Posted By
Stephen_Linhart
Jan 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I find that the EXIF info in File Info for my Canon G10 is not complete. That is, other programs such as EXIF Viewer find valid EXIF fields such as "Subject Distance" which are not in Photoshop’s File Info.

I noticed this because Canon puts the Focal Distance in Subject Distance and the setting of the zoom in Focal Distance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2009
Have you set-up those fields to be visible in Bridge’s Prefs/Metadata? You need to make sure that all fields that you wish to see are checked.
SL
Stephen_Linhart
Jan 10, 2009
Hi Ann –

Thanks for the suggestion.

I found ‘Subject Distance’ in Camera Data (EXIF) in the Metadata Prefs in Bridge. I verified that it is on.

However, ‘Subject Distance’ does not show up in Bridge or Photoshop for JPEGs produced by a Canon G10 or TIFFs with EXIF produced from RAW by Canon DPP.

EXIF Viewer finds Subject Distance in both these file types, but can’t read CR2 files, so I can’t check the G10 RAW files.

– Stephen
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2009
Perhaps it is just the way that Canons, or that particular model anyway, record metadata?

Do you have the choice in a camera-setup menu to select what data you want to record?
SL
Stephen_Linhart
Jan 10, 2009
Hi Ann –

The Canon Powershot G10 appears to have no control of what EXIF to save (other than setting my name and the date).

Canon DPP software can save TIF with ot without DPP, but there don’t appear to be any other options.

Canon clearly has a problem, since the focal distance is saved in Subject Distance and Focal Distance contains zoom setting.

But Adobe also has a problem in that EXIF Viewer seems the field ‘Subject Distance’ while Photoshop and Bridge do not, despite Bridge having a setting to show it.

I would think the XML EXIF file info in Photoshop should be complete, since it is not parsed for human reading, but displayed as XML.

– Stephen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections