SC
Posted By
Sara_C._Woodmansee
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We recently discovered that ANY changes made in Photoshop CS4 stripped out our GPS exif metadata. We also tried it in CS3 – same thing! And by changes, this includes anything – changing IPTC, adjusting levels, etc. It even happened when just opening, re- saving and closing the file in Photoshop.

FYI: We tested it with images exported from both Adobe Camera RAW (Canon files) and Phocus(Hasselblad), and the problem occurred with both. We’ve also tried it with files from different cameras, which used different GPS brands altogether, therefore we can rule out: the GPS units, camera (Canon 1Ds Mark II, Hasselblad H3D-39), and software used to convert RAWS (Phocus, Adobe Camera RAW, Lightroom). We also tried different computers to make sure no preferences were corrupt on an individual machine, to rule that out.

To make things even more complicated, we just discovered that even though we can no longer see the GPS info in Photoshop CS4, Adobe Bridge DOES see the GPS info! But – none of our other softwares which normally recognize GPS can see the info (iView, Cumulus).

Very, very frustrating…….HELP!

Mac OS 10.5.6, PowerMac 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xenon, Photoshop CS4, Files exported to Prophoto RGB 16-bit TIFF) using both Lightroom and Phocus

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

G
gear
Jan 9, 2009
Addendum: Does anyone know how to add EXIF back into a file?

I assume this would be difficult, as EXIF is hard to remove, much less put back.

Many of these files have already been worked on extensively, and re-importing and re-working is not a good option.

We have already tried the following (did NOT work):

1) Exporting the XMP from the file BEFORE any changes are made (with GPS info still intact), and importing XMP to finished file (tried all 3 option settings)

2) Copy and pasting the finished file on top of the original (GPS intact file) and flattening, so that the finished file would take on the properties of the old, un-retouched file. What’s odd about this is that after flattening the file, saving, and looking at File Info – it appeared it had WORKED. But when you close the file, and re-open, the GPS is gone again.
B
Buko
Jan 10, 2009
Does anyone know how to add EXIF back into a file?

I would use Bridge.
G
gear
Jan 11, 2009
How can you use Bridge to put EXIF data back in? I am aware of being able to edit IPTC, but not EXIF??
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 12, 2009
Sara;

PSD will preserve metadata, even if it can’t always be parsed.

TIFF tries to parse the GPS metadata, and will only write it out in the EXIF block if it is readable.

I tried to follow what you said you did to troubleshoot the problem – but you failed to specify enough detail for me to figure it out.

But I haven’t heard of anyone else having problems with their GPS metdata being stripped.

My first guess is that you are writing improperly formatted metadata, and it gets stripped because it fails to parse.
S
sara
Jan 12, 2009
Hi Chris,

In what ways can someone write improperly formatted metadata? By the GPS unit and/or camera used – since that is where the data originates? We used 2 different GPS units and 2 different cameras and with each, the GPS information is ultimately stripped out.

What other information can I give you to clarify? Could I supply you with one of our files, which you can try saving as a TIFF, to see how it’s stripped out?

Why would psd or jpg format work, but TIFF not?

Thank you in advance for your help! Sara

FYI: I made an official support request to Adobe today and supplied them with both before and after files, and XMP files from each. Have not heard back yet.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 13, 2009
Sara – yes, email me sample files that show the problem. Send me the original files from the camera(s).
S
sara
Jan 13, 2009
HI Chris,

Thanks! If I email you original files from the camera, they will be awfully BIG.

I have uploaded the original CR2 file, plus some output examples to an FTP, which I will email the info for now. thank you! Sara
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 13, 2009
OK, got the files.

Thank you.
EW
Eric_Watson
Jan 22, 2009
Hi Chris,

I have seen exactly the same problem using a Nikon D300 with the GPS attachment from Macsense. The GPS data is availble until you do something with PhotoShop to the file. Prior to opening the file with Photoshop it is all there and readable by the GPS software and several Google apps. This applies to both NEF and JPG types I have tested. Is there a solution to this issue??

Regards, Eric
S
sara
Jan 22, 2009
Hi Eric,

We’ve learned a lot since I posted this, through much testing….

The problem lies with Photoshop TIFF, saved as a MAC or PC format.

NOTE: GPS data is OK when output from: Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw or Phocus as TIFF (and others, most likely).

It is only when you Open and re-save as TIFF in Photoshop that the GPS exif metadata is stripped.

– Saving as JPEG or PSD format in Photoshop is OK – GPS data is intact.

I am surprised to see you say your JPG files have been affected. Were they saved as TIFF at any point?
EW
Eric_Watson
Jan 22, 2009
Hi Sara,

I will go back and verify what I am seeing. I use copies of both CS4 and Elements on a Windows Vista OS for different things. I do not use TIFF much at all. I tend to stick with RAW and JPG almost exclusively. I was very annoyed when the data disappeared and shifted to working with secondary backup files

Regards, Eric
S
sara
Jan 22, 2009
Eric,

I do know 2 ways that EXIF metadata can be stripped:

1) Save for Web

2) Copy and paste your image into a new file
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2009
Eric,

…use copies of both CS4 and Elements on a Windows Vista OS…

So you don’t have a Mac at all? This is the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum.
EW
Eric_Watson
Jan 22, 2009
Hi Ramon,

Actually I did not notice this forum was for the Mac version of the software. I got here through Google and it pertained. Glad to see Adobe seems to be equal opportunity with the bugs. LOL

I do have a Mac just not for this stuff, so will head on over to the other group. LOL

Eric

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections