JF
Posted By
Jodi_Frye
Jul 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
(Or anyone else who can answer 🙂 ) Hi there, wondering, have you used the Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper
yet ? I’m thinking about orderin’ some.. however is it limited to 2880 dpi only ? The way it was described on the site ( Epson e-mail) I wasn’t sure. I’m not in the mood to waste ink if i don’t have to. I know my Colorlife Epson paper wont let me go under 1440 dpi when attempting to print with it. Anyways, if ya know anything…drop me a line. Thanks 🙂

Oh, does Ilford have a similar paper ?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Jul 21, 2004
Hi Jodi,
Yes, I use the Premium luster and it’s a nice paper. The Ilford paper that I’d compare it to is Ilford Smooth Pearl ( I got it at Amazon.com ). The Ilford is somewhat less expensive and I use both of them at 1440 dpi . I think I’ve only used 2880 dpi once, and decided I couldn’t stand the slow printing . 1440 dpi does a great job, and I’ve never printed on either one at any lower resolutions.

The only caveat that I can think of on the Ilford paper is there may not be any profiles for it, and you might have to "fiddle" with the Epson sliders to get the color you want. I use Monaco EZcolor to create custom profiles and that problem doesn’t arise.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 22, 2004
Brent, thank you so much for the feedback ! I knew you’d be the one to ask 😉 I have ‘never’ used the 2880 dpi on my printer either. I get such nice prints in the lower settings so ‘why bother?’. Thanks again. Luster here I come ! (XD)
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 22, 2004
Which printer are you guys using?
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 22, 2004
Mark,
My photo printer is an Epson Photo 890, baby brother of the 1280 . I think Jodi might be using a 785 ( same inkset ) .

🙂

Brent
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 22, 2004
I’ve a 785 EPX as well. Anyone find any profiles for it?
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 22, 2004
I love and I hate my Epson 7600.
I had an Epson 2200, but costs of printing were about 5x higher. The best thing by far I have seen until now is the Epson Gemini system, but it is just only available for pro photographers in Germany, the UK and the Netherlands, printing at least 200 A4 prints monthly.

Leen
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 22, 2004
Mark,
I only know of the Colorlife profile, on the Epson site, for the 785 . If I had the 785, I think I’d try the 895 profiles ( can’t see anything to lose ), since they have the same inkset . They might not work , but I just don’t know.
< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/media_profiles/media_print_ 1.htm>

[edit] Just found some profiles for the 785EPX . They’re included with the PIM II plugin download . Looks like 7 media profiles there. If you don’t have them, you’ll want them.

🙂
Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 22, 2004
I just use the ones that are included without any problems. i haven’t even looked for others.

Brent, my mail is acting up again. I am interested but at the moment i cannot send any mail. I think it’s time I changed my isp. My phone company is offering maximum speed DSL at a reasonable package rate. I may very well make the move…TODAY !!!!!!!!
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 22, 2004
Out of curiosity, Jodi, what’s the rate up there?

Dick
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 22, 2004
Jodi,
Do it!! You’ll never look back… 🙂

Juergen
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 22, 2004
If it’s Verizon DSL, it’s the same everywhere: $29.95/mo…(plus taxes and other small charges). It’s all that’s available where I live. Very easy to set up, they include everything you need in a kit, including the phone jack filters.

I would never go back to dialup unless forced at gunpoint. 🙂

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 22, 2004
My Phone company that supplies it is just called ‘Frontier’ Maximum speed DSL ( they also have ‘basic’ but I didn’t want that). The whole package includes my phone service, Max DSL ( seperate line), 30 minutes free long distance per month at around 65 a month (free set-up). I will no longer need to pay for ‘Call Wave’ which i pay 8 bucks a month for now and then my phone company charges 5 bucks a month for the ‘call forwarding’ needed to use it. So, yes, I should have done this a long time ago. I put the order in 2 minutes after talking here but the guys still have to come check to be sure I can get DSL Max in my area ( crossing fingers)…they will be here in 0ne to 2 days…then i’ll know. Wish me luck ! Just hope the service is reliable !
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 22, 2004
Should I now up the maximum image size for the challenge to 2 megs? 😉

OTG
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi —
The speed you’ll get with DSL (if you can get it) will vary with how far you are from the telephone central office (the switch) — the closer you are, the faster the connection. If you’re more than five miles away, it probably won’t be an option. In most cases, you can only get it if you have a standard two-wire (copper) connection direct to the office — if your area is served by fiber or has a subsidiary distribution point, you could be out of luck. That all said, it can be a wonderful thing — I’m within a mile of my CO and the measures I take tell me I’m getting 4 MB/sec.

I used to have a cable modem and got comparable speeds at first but as more folks in the neighborhood signed up it began to drag — we all shared a common pipe, so it filled up as the kids got home from school. At five in the morning, it was still terrific, though.

Bob Warren
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi.. Welcome in the 21st century…

😉

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 23, 2004
wrote:
Jodi — The speed you’ll get with DSL (if you can get it) will vary with how far you are from the telephone central office (the switch) — the closer you are, the faster the connection. If you’re more than five miles away, it probably won’t be an option. In most cases, you can only get it if you have a standard two-wire (copper) connection direct to the office — if your area is served by fiber or has a subsidiary distribution point, you could be out of luck. That all said, it can be a wonderful thing — I’m within a mile of my CO and the measures I take tell me I’m getting 4 MB/sec.

Bob,

I am well outside the five mile limit for the CO but within 300 yards of a "fiber connected" distribution point and have no trouble at all with DSL. According to folks in "the know" it’s this that makes it possible for outlying folks to connect. And, because the (can’t remember the acronym for it) is connected to the CO by fiber it is as thought the CO is 300 yards from the house.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
Ray, thanks, smart ass …… XD :Big grin emoticon that you can’t see. 😉

Bob, ya got me nervous,
Dick, ya made me feel better.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jul 23, 2004
I’ve had DSL for over a year, and it’s great. Whenever I am forced to use a dialup somewhere, I remember how SLOOOW it was! I’m still paying $40/month though for PacBell.
Bert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
oh, another question as far as DSL goes…Am I ‘on’ all the time ? If so, does DSL offer the same backdoor protection as cable ? Do i get supplied a gun ?..ah aha ha.. I do run an AV that has a firewall but not sure that’s enough. I never worry about it at this point cause when i’m done surfin and stuff I just go off line. Thanks for any tips you may have for me.
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi,
Yes, you will be on all the time when the PC is running. Turn on the XP firewall (you do run XP?) and get McAfee. That should be enough.

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
Juergen, thanks, yes I have my XP firewall on and i run Norton Internet Security Pro 2002 which also has a firewall…( I wasn’t sure i wanted 2004 since I heard it slows down your system with all that extra crap).
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 23, 2004
Good, Jodi, you should be in business.

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
Juergen, I went back to be sure I had the XP firewall on…and now I can’t remember where it is.

All I found in Control panel under ‘network connections>properties>advanced tab..the firewall is checked on. Is that it ? I’m such a duh.
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 23, 2004
Yea, that’s it.. 🙂

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
Thank You Juergen !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi, I wish you luck. The attempts to make DSL work here were a dismal failure. I went with cable (RoadRunner), but I’m beginning to see that drag that Bob mentioned. Oh, well….still better than dial-up by a country mile!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
Chuck, If DSL doesn’t work here I’m stickin with Dial up cause RR is just not reliable in my area… and is just too pricey ! I will deal with what I have the way I have been. We will probably be moving within the next year so maybe the new location will allow for DSL. Anyways, still waiting for the word from the phone company.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
Oh and Thank you !! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi, DSL has come a long way since I first tried it 3 or 4 years ago. Here’s hoping!
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 24, 2004
Jodi,

I would NEVER cancel my DSL…it’s nothing short of a miracle after Dialup!! If you use a friend’s DU computer (after you have converted) you’ll wonder "What The H_ll Is The Matter With This Computer!"
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 24, 2004
Nancy, still sittin here waitin, crossin my fingers. I know you are right. I’ve just been too stubborn to dish out the extra it will cost.
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 24, 2004
Here’s hoping then….
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jul 24, 2004
Jodi,
I have McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall Plus. Got them after I was infected with SirCam virus a over year ago. Since they were installed, I have not had any problem…and as others have said, with DSL you are ON whenever your computer is powered. Norton is good too. Either one should keep you safe.
Bert
EDIT: Oh, one more thing…get Ad Aware or something similar to help you find spyware that gets sneaked into your computer when you access certain websites. I run it once a week, just to be safe. The download is free.
Bert
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 24, 2004
Or of course you can just get a Mac…! (I just have the OSX firewall up and so far so good) Sooner or later the hacker kidddies will discover that they can have fun with Macs too but it makes life easier for the time being.

DSL is a wondrous thing and I wouldn’t be without it (even though it is crippled here by the Telstra wholesale monopoly who artificially limit the speed). Even at 512/256 it is so much better than dial up – not least because I no longer have to pay for a second phone line to take voice commmunications while I’m on the internet!
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 24, 2004
Sometimes I can hardly believe my eyes. The USA appears to be the most advanced country when it comes to new digital technology, but most Americans seem to have to live with extremely slow dial up connections.
The majority of people in the Netherlands however have fast connections.

If I were running for presidency in the US I surely would know what I should be offering to ensure my election.
I’m sorry for all of you, but I am not available.

Leen
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jul 24, 2004
Leen,

Okay, that does it. I’m moving to Holland.

I think the cost is higher for DSL and Cable in the US, but the cost is starting to come down. I’m not prone to conspiracy theory but I suspect that the service providers are keeping the prices artificially high. In most areas there is little to no competition.

I ordered basic dsl (Earthlink) last January as the price was as high as I would go and now they’re offering the highest speed for the same price. I’m locked into it until January unless I pay $150 termination fee. I think I’ll wait.

But no one should have to suffer through dial up and fast connections should be accessible to all for a reasonable cost.

Good luck Jodi. I hope it works out for you.

BTW if anyone is interested in going with Earthlinks new rate, tell ’em I sent you. They’re a good service except for locking me into the contract. 🙁
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 24, 2004
Hi all, it’s Saturday and I suspect I wont find out til Monday or tuesday whether or not I can get max dsl here. Nancy, You live up in the western mountains…yes ? If you can get DSL then i suspect I should be able to. Oh and yes, I downloaded Spybot ages ago and run it every couple of weeks. First time I ran it I had about 5 companies spying on me. Now it’s just cookies stuff that i find. Funny, after spybot destroyed the spies I stopped getting graphics mail 🙁 I kind of miss them spying on me.
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 24, 2004
Jodi,

Yes, I live in the mountains just east of San Jose, CA. No way would there be DSL in this rural location were it not for the fact that recently, the 10K acre "undeveloped" county park surrounding the 60 acres we live on, had fiber optics buried in the steep, switchback road and a switch box installed quite close to our place. Certainly no cable here, though!
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 24, 2004
Leen-

With regard to the penetration of broadband in Holland versus the US, consider the scope of the problem. Holland’s populus is distributed differently geographically than the US. We’ve got a big country, with a lot of people living away from population centers and many individual houses. You’ve got a small country, with significant concentrations of people in geographically limited areas. To put it another way, we need a lot more wire (or fiber) to connect our people than proportionately more than our respective populations might indicate.

Jodi-

I would strongly encourage you to get a hardware firewall (a router) rather than relying on software running on your PC to keep you safe. They are cheap and most provide you with an easy way to add more computers to share your internet connection (which may not sound important now, but when you need it, you’ll have the capability.) You still need to run anti-virus SW, plus regularly screen for trojans and such using Ad-Aware and Spybot or similar software. But a hardware based approach is more robust; it’s not like a trojan can turn it off as easily as it can disrupt a program running on your PC.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks Mark for the router suggestion. I will definietly look into it ASAP…..hmmm, ya suppose my phone comapny that is supplying the max DSL will include one ? Perhaps I can talk them into it…afterall, i do believe Roadrunner supplies a router….don’t they ? Thanks.
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 24, 2004
Jodi,
Mark made a good suggestion. I just spent some time reading up on routers’ security features and all that technical stuff goes way over my head. It boils down to the fact though, that they give you extra security. Unfortunately, Roadrunner did not give me a free router, just the cable modem. I don’t think your phone people will give you one either. 🙁

Juergen
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 24, 2004
Typically you can find a home router these days for about $29 after rebates . The built in NAT firewall screens your home systems quite well.

🙂
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 24, 2004
Jodi-

Some providers do include a router; Verizon, I think, is one. If not, it’s fairly short money after rebates, which run on an almost weekly basis. A quick example is this one:

< http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384473833&amp ;skuId=4634168&productCategoryId=cat01029&type=produ ct>
R
RobertHJones
Jul 24, 2004
I wouldn’t depend solely on a simple router/firewall. They do, in general, do an excellant job of screening incoming traffic (Linksys appears to be having some current security issues though see
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/Linksys_ routers_and_DDoS.html ) but they do not do a good job of controlling outgoing traffic. That’s important because should you get infected by some malicious software that "phones home" despite your virus/spyware checking efforts, you could potentially have any information on your computer disclosed to the bad guys. The only way you can control access rights of individual programs running on your computer is through a software agent running on the computer. Also, if you have more than one computer on your home network, the software firewall will protect you from some attacks coming from one of the other internal computers — the router will not. In my opinion, the combination of router/firewall and software firewall makes good sense. My preference is ZoneAlarm (which, for the budget minded, even has a free for personal use version). Microsoft’s current version of the XP firewall does not control outward bound traffic. Don’t run more than one software firewall on any given computer — it uses up resources and cpu cycles; You don’t really gain anything and they could interfere with each other.

Regarding the Broadband penetration, Mark makes a good point. However, nothing is ever simple. In many respects, the U.S. is a victim of it’s own success. Because of the shear size of the U.S. and the wide existing installed base of phone networks and cable networks, it’s very expensive and time consuming to add/replace the necessary new hardware/facilities to support broadband. In many cases the existing infrastucture will simply not support broadband and need to be replaced or re-engineered. Since service is provided by many companies and not just one major one, roll out is highly dependant on the ability of the geographically diverse companies to finance the changes and the demand or lack of it by their customers. For a great number of people, dial-up is entirely adequate for their needs. Never the less, broadband has been rapidly increasing. I saw a study recently that indicated that approximately 55% of U.S. Internet users had access to broadband through home or work with about 40% having broadband at home (the majority using cable rather than DSL). In terms of total number of connections, the U.S is up near the top. Japan is number 1 with China poised to pass them.

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 24, 2004
I second Bob, a router is one tool in a toolbox to protect your PC. You will need a firewall that will prevent outgoing traffic or warn you against such.

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 24, 2004
I third Bob. In the 25 plus years that I have had personal computers I have only been infected once and my firewall software picked up and out going message, stopped it, and alerted me. At the time I was using the free version of Zone Alarm now I use there Pro version. I am not sure there is much advantage in using the Pro over their free version but … it is cheap.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 24, 2004
well thank you all..especially Robert for your lenghtly detailed analogy which brought me alot closer to understanding. I do already have a firewall included with my AV which protects both out and incoming. Router will be on the list as soon as I get the ‘Yay’ from the phone company. Still crossin fingers. Thank You all !
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 25, 2004
Jodi,

Ask your phone company if they recommend one router in particular. Some companies do, and this could save you from pulling your hair later, trying to configure the equipment.

Ray
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 25, 2004
DSL?

Can’t go wrong with LinkSys or Dlink.
Any probs are generally corrected quickly with firmware updates.

The phone company won’t be any help unless you purchase THEIR networking package. Believe me, I just finished a year NOT helping people for BellSouth. (although I did, on the sly, generally).

Broadbandreports.com has FAQs regarding most DSL providers and configuring routers for them.

Mac
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 25, 2004
Thank You Ray and Mac. The post it is up.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 25, 2004
Mac, hum, how da heck am I suppose to know which one ? I will definietly take Ray’s advice and ask the phone company first but was looking through routers and found this ;

???? How do you figure ???

edit, oops, link didn’t work
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 25, 2004
previous post edited cause yahoo shoppin link didn’t work.

Mac, have any inexpensive suggestions ? There was at least 15 dif D-Link routers on yahoo shoppin’.
RH
ronald_hands
Jul 25, 2004
Jodi:

I suggest you consider getting a router that also has a wireless access point built in. Never know what the future might bring . . .

I’m partial to Linksys. Sold my first one, after two years of flawless service, to get one with wireless. Very simple setup in both cases.

— Ron
Hamilton, ON
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 25, 2004
The wireless routers are very little money lately, this week there an "older tech" 802.11b wireless router for $9.99 at BestBuy ( Belkin) . I’m using a Belkin 802.11g in the house for my notebook access ( and a Siemens Speedstream behind the DSL modem . Setup is dead easy for auto addressing .

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 25, 2004
Thank You both ! I hope I’m not wasting my time here tryin’ to find out about all this stuff. I plan on calling the phone company tomorrow to find out if they know anything yet. The guys were suppose to be here one or two days after i called. I didn’t have to be here for them to check my wiring sources and I was away quite a few times during that period so not sure if they were here or not. Still keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again !
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 25, 2004
Mac,

Thanks for that link. I remember when I installed my SMC Barricade router that I went nuts trying to get it configured properly. The folks on the Bellsouth Newsgroups helped me over the hump.

I’ll file that one for later use.

Dick
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 26, 2004
Jodi,

I have a Linksys 802.11b 2.4Ghz (wireless) at home and it’s worked perfectly for more than 18 months now. Now, the new standard is 802.11g, so if you want to have a router that’s compatible with newest equipment (11g is compatible with 11b, but 11b is slower), make sure to check for 11g.

I was also running Black Ice Defender on my PC (and my friend is still using it). It’s a software based firewall. Simple to setup, simple to use.

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 27, 2004
Than You Ray !

Brent, i got it ! IT is reallly really nice…THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!! YOU are a sweetheart ! ps…not sure my mail will get to you.
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 27, 2004
Jodi,
So, what is the progress with the DSL?? Any luck?

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 27, 2004
Juergen, yup, got it!…Well, I’m not hooked up yet but getting there. The guy ‘just’ delivered the box of goodies I’ll need. Problem now is that the current phone line i am using for my computer ( the jack ) is down in the cellar in a ‘crawl space’…grrrrr. Fighting a toothache today so not sure if I’ll get this accomplished before hub gets home. I may wait and send him into the pit to do the dirty work. Then again, knowing me….maybe not. My mouth really hurts tho…my apt. with Dentist isn’t til thursday. Grrrrrrr

But hey, still good news ..right ? YAY ! Max DSL i’m on my way !
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 27, 2004
Jodi,
Sorry to hear about the toothache, but very happy about the DSL! You’ll love it!

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 28, 2004
DSL all hooked up ! YAY ! By the way, phone company told me i did not need a router if I had only one computer. What do you think of this ?

My new email is up and posted if you want it…click on my name up here to get it. Still workin on gettin my webpages back up. I guess I’m being lazy today.
R
RobertHJones
Jul 28, 2004
Jodi,

You will be using it as a firewall, not as a router. It’s not required, but you will be increasing your level of protection if you use one.

Bob

phone company told me i did not need a router if I had only one computer.
What do you think of this ?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 28, 2004
Robert, thanks for the advice ! Seems if phone company says i don’t need one then I guess they wont give me too much advice on which i should get so i will trust Ray and look into the one he posted 🙂
Thanks
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 28, 2004
OK Ray, that is too rich for my blood ! Anything cheaper that someone would recommend ? Basically like Robert said, all i really need is added firewall security. I am not networking. Thanks
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 28, 2004
Jodi,
In last weeks BestBuy Ad, a Belkin Wireless router was only 9.95 after rebates. It was "old technology" wireless, 802.11b , but it has 4 lan ports and serves the same security function of giving you a NAT ( network address translation ) router which effectively screens your PC from direct attacks from the internet. I’d look into that as a security option. I have several routers, including a Belkin, and mine works just fine.

🙂

Brent
R
RobertHJones
Jul 28, 2004
Jodi,

I’d like to point out that since you are using a software firewall you aren’t entirely unprotected. You might find it interesting to go to Steve Gibson’s web site (http://www.grc.com/default.htm) and run the ShieldsUp! and Leaktest. If your current software firewall passes these you’re already in pretty good shape.

The cheapest routers only offer NAT as protection. This effectively hides the computer from the Internet but doesn’t provide stateful packet inspection which is desirable. Routers that do provide this level of firewall protection generally run in the $50 to $60 USD range. See the Netgear RP614 as an example of this kind of router. Best Buy advertises it for $59.99 with a $10 mail in rebate.

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 29, 2004
Jodi,

I have a wireless router… Because I really needed wireless access (I once tasted the sun bathing + PSE Forum with a coffee in the courtyard, Saturday morning… Wrong thing to do.. Now I go hooked!!). If you don’t need the wireless, you’ll save a considerable amount of money.

I like Linksys and I have confidence in them. I got several products from them and they all worked without any problem. Other and cheaper brands are probably just as good.

Do you need a router? Well, it offers NAT (Network Address Translation), this alone won’t 100% shield you, but it’s one step in the right direction. What’s NAT? Your real IP address is owned by your router (the one address assigned to you by your ISP), and your computer is assigned one that is known by your router, instead of being openly advertised (as in without using a router). It’s more difficult to hack a computer this way. Not impossible.

What’s best is to add a firewall. A software that acts like a real wall, surrounding your computer from various attack. View it as curtains you close on opened windows. No one will be able to see inside your house, sort of. Less tempting to step into and steal. Your PC will appear non-existent to hackers.

Now… The drawback section… NAT is known to cause problems with certain instant messenging software (it sometimes won’t allow audio and / or video to pass through). Some media streaming applications also have problems when behind a router. Firewalls are as problematic as router, but they’re easier to operate (if you ask me) and configuring them is easier.

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 29, 2004
Robert, Ray, thanks for the links, i put my system through the tests with both Steve Gibson’s site and Norton security check. My system appears to be invisible to the outside world….or so they tell me. My firewall is by my Norton Internet Security Pro 2002. Also have my XP firewall enabled. Yes, i do plan on upgrading my AV next time it comes due 😉

I’m still lookin into other router avenues. Haven’t quite made up my mind yet which way i’m going. Ya know what ? I really hate that I have to worry about being bothered by theses intrusions. Sometimes I really hate people. BUT NOT ALL OF YOU !!!! 🙂
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 29, 2004
You are getting a lot of good advice, Jodi.

You don’t, as a matter of strict functionality, need a router since you only have one computer. It’s a good idea anyway. The Netgear RP614 mentioned above is the model I’ve been using since we got the cable modem. It works very well, but is roughly $60. Easy to set up and manage, and offers a reasonable amount of control.

It’s interesting to hear Raymond talk about problems with NAT and instant messaging SW. My kids use AIM constantly, and we haven’t had any problems at all that I’m aware of (and no doubt I’d hear about it.) 🙂
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 29, 2004
Before you buy a router, you may want to double-check that your provider will support it. I have a cable modem, and it took a week of phone calls before I could convince the cable company to give me the information I needed to set up the router properly.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 29, 2004
I have a d-link NAT router and it works well – not wireless – I have ethernet cabling from one side of the house to the other which allows my husband and myself to use the net simultaneously. (He gets annoyed though if I try to IM or email him to tell him that dinner is ready – can’t think why!) I’ve had no troubles with NAT messing up IM (sound or video – I use ichat/AIM). The only problems I’ve had with firewalling not allowing something that I wanted to do was with the OSX firewall – and that was with something rather esoteric (trying to play the contents of a friend’s itunes library on my machine – and we did get it to sort of work eventually once we both opened up the correct ports in our firewalls. It was rather cool playing music from his computer in the UK, with me in Australia)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections