JC
Posted By
Jimmy_C
Jul 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to scan in some 4 x 6 pictures using PE2. I and running XP and have a HP D145 Officejet with an auto feeder.

My problem is this: All pictures scan in fine but they all have white space to the left, right and below. This would require me to crop every picture…too time consuming. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Jim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 21, 2004
Jimmy,
Your description leads me to believe that you are attempting to print, rather than scan. Am I correct?
If so, the next question is whether your printer can produce completely borderless prints. Most of these ink jet printers require a portion of the paper for the rollers to engage. Personally I have not been able to produce a borderless print for that reason. With careful resizing. and positioning I have been able to minimize the white borders, however.
When I have multiple picture files which I want to print, I enhance them in Elements, set resolution appropriately, crop, etc. I then burn these files on to a CD, take same to the machine at CVS or Walgreen, and print out borderless prints of excellent quality @29 cents. I don’t want to sound like a defeatist, but that is my work flow for now.
Ken
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 21, 2004
Jimmy,

I am not familiar with your particular scanner, so this may not be germane…

When I scan (HP 3c, HP DeskScanII) the software takes a stab at auto-selecting the portion of the scan area that contains image. I can’t recall EVER not needing to make adjustments to the selection.

I suspect that your scanning software is doing something similar for you.

I would see if there is a way you can interact with the scans as they’re being fed so that you can have it pause while you set the scan area for each image.

Otherwise… I’ll stay tuned to see what other ideas are offered.

Byron
JC
Jimmy_C
Jul 22, 2004
Thank you to Kenneth and Bryon for replying 🙂

Kenneth, I am trying to scan the 4 x6 photos into PE using the auto feeder on my printer/scanner/copier. Once this is accomplished I want to make a slide show.

Bryon, I will look for an option similar to "auto-select" and play around with it.

Once again, I really appreciate all your help!

Jim
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 22, 2004
Jimmy,
You might look at Vuescan from Ed Hamrick. <Http://www.hamrick.com> . If it supports your scanner, it does a fine job of batch scanning, and it does auto-crop the image quite well. Ed has a free demo available . If you have time, try it out. The best workflow with Vuescan may well be to batch scan the prints to your harddrive, auto-naming them, then using Elements later to edit and process them.

🙂

Brent

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections