What is the proper way to create a monotone image with real looking contrast?

NT
Posted By
nikolai_tba
Jan 8, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Once I apply a color to my previously created black and white image everything looks washed out.

I have an artwork with 3D representation of the letterforms, casting shadows on the textured surface. Shadows are deep black. I need this artwork to be colored in gold. My client forwarded me the specs for the metallic gold which he got from the PANTONE. They are:Gold (871); Adobe 1998 RGB: 126-113-76
HSB*: 44 degrees-40%-50%

What is the proper way of applying those values to the desired image. My idea was to make the image black and white and than create a monotone image with the above specs. In this case the image gets washed out as the darkest black in the shadows becomes this Pantone gold. Is there any other way?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 8, 2009
nikolai,

Can you post a link to a sample image on your server or use the free <http://www.pixentral.com>?

Thanks.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 8, 2009
Is this image going to be printed on a press actually using a metallic gold spot color?

Try using a two-color (Black + Gold) Duotone.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jan 13, 2009
A duotone will work, however you are going to want to work closely with your printer . Most printers will want the second color in CMYK (Possibly C60 M40 Y0 K100 instead of RGB values or specify a Pantone Rich Black (I personally like 6C)but it will cost you more for the wash up of both heads of the printer…

Go to Image>Mode>Duotone (image must be greyscale first for this to work) then add the desired colors to your ink scales.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections