MS
Posted By
Mark_S_Green
Jan 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anybody else had issues saving Photoshop CS4 files onto a Windows 2003 server. I have freshly installed Leopard and updated it to 10.5.6 (and am running a fully updated Photoshop CS from the Design Premium suite) but the following problems still exist:

On random occasions on saving I will get one of the following messages:

The file is locked
Unexpected end of file encountered

As the messages appear the original version appears to disappear from the server. However, if I then try to Save As the file saves as it should.

This happens on both G5 Macs and the latest Intel Towers and appears regardless of file size and type, from low res jpegs, tiffs, eps and psd files.

Unfortunately our company employs a third party to maintain the server and they maintain that files don’t just disappear and so it must be a Mac error.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jan 6, 2009
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
MS
Mark_S_Green
Jan 6, 2009
Thank you for your advice.

What you say makes total sense, however the server environment has worked perfectly for five years until we updated the OS and CS suite.

It would be useful if anyone else has experience anything similar?

thankyou
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 6, 2009
Mark,

This is not a new problem. Because of myriad possible combinations of hardware, software, and connectivity to set up and maintain a network, Adobe has not supported working across a network. That said, if your tech "guru" actually knows what the heck he/she is doing, it is entirely possible to set up and routinely maintain a network allowing you to work this way. A number of companies do it successfully.

Throw it back to IT. I’ll tell you this: it’s nothing new and it is a configuration issue of the network. Your IT should be able to figure it out, read up on the subject or consult with other mixed network IT guys. Or get another IT. And unceremoniously throw out any of them who say (or think), "Mac OS sucks."

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 6, 2009
Has anybody else had issues saving Photoshop CS4 files onto a Windows 2003 server.

Well, that may be the problem — the server is running six-year-old software.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 6, 2009
Mark,

Just read your original post again.

Has anybody else had issues saving Photoshop CS4 files onto a Windows 2003 server.

Well, that may be the problem — the server is running six-year-old software.

Unfortunately our company employs a third party to maintain the server and they maintain that files don’t just disappear and so it must be a Mac error.

This problem is not unique to Macintosh systems, and your current IT is not particularly supportive here. Start asking for bids from other vendors.

Neil
JW
Julie_Wild
Feb 6, 2009
I am having the same problem. Although on my previous system running OS10.4 and CS3 there were no issues AT ALL with working on files from our Windows 2003 server. (or CS2 for that matter) Now, on a brand new computer running OS10.5 and CS4, Photoshop randomly decides it cannot save. And the file does indeed disappear from the the server. This only happens in Photoshop, so makes me think it’s a Photoshop issue. I have turned off the TimeMachine on my computer, but that wasn’t the issue. My only consolation is that Photoshop does allow me to then save it to my own computer, thus saving me further aggravation. IT is done here in-house by top-notch individual and I haven’t had this problem since I’ve been using this network (5-6 years).
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 7, 2009
Julie,

This only happens in Photoshop, so makes me think it’s a Photoshop issue. This is a documented issue. Please read the prior posts.

My only consolation is that Photoshop does allow me to then save it to my own computer,

This is standard for almost any application.

IT is done here in-house by top-notch individual and I haven’t had this problem since I’ve been using this network (5-6 years).

Nevertheless, if he can’t solve it, it belies his "top-notch" status.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 7, 2009
Julie,

This only happens in Photoshop, so makes me think it’s a Photoshop issue.

This is a documented issue. Please read the prior posts.

My only consolation is that Photoshop does allow me to then save it to my own computer,

This is standard for almost any application.

IT is done here in-house by top-notch individual and I haven’t had this problem since I’ve been using this network (5-6 years).

Nevertheless, if he can’t solve it, it belies his "top-notch" status.

I’m not trying to be dismissive here; or to approve of this particular server behavior. I’m just trying to say the solution is to (1) find an IT guy who understands the issue in your server environment, or (2) always work and save locally, then drag the saved file back to the server at the end of the day.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 7, 2009
We’re back to square one, which is to say post #1. :/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections