DR
Posted By
Dick_Riegner
Jul 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop Elements 2 unexpectedly quits after successfully completing 7 or 8 scans. I am running Mac OS X 10.3.4 and HP PrecisionScan Pro V5.3.1 with an HP Scanjet 5470c.

I can restart Photoshop Elements and make another 7 or 8 scans, and then PSE2 unexpectedly quits again.

Any idea what is wrong? Would it help to post the crash log?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Dick,

How much memory do you have?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 19, 2004
I’m assuming you have the TWAIN interface still open and scans unsaved?

I’d wager you’re simply running out of system resources or whatever the equivalent term is for that with Mac OS.

Plus modern HP scanners are pretty touchy, and the software even worse, probably a limitation in HP’s farmed out driver interface.

I’m not much a fan of TWAIN for intensive scanning, for that very reason. Of course, if you can always get 7, just close the TWAIN, save them, reopen the TWAIN, and see if can continue scanning.

Mac
DR
Dick_Riegner
Jul 19, 2004
Nancy,

I have 640MB of RAM.

Thanks.
Dick

Mac,

I use the PSE2 File->Import->Scanjet interface to initiate a scan. I believe the "Scanjet" option is the HP Photoshop plug-in. HP told me that TWAIN is not supported for a 5470c scanner.

I too thought it was an HP software problem until I ran this test: normally the HP PrecisionScan window stays open after each scan. So I manually closed it after each scan, forcing a fresh copy of PrecisionScan Pro for each scan. PSE2 still crashes after 7 or 8 scans. That seems to indicate that something is wrong with PSE2 making consecutive scans.

For what its worth, I made 40 or 50 consecutive scans with this same PSE2 on Mac OS 9.2.2 and never had this problem.

Thanks,
Dick
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 19, 2004
I use the PSE2 File->Import->Scanjet interface to initiate a scan.

Well, that’s how TWAIN appears, also, but I looked up 5470 specs: http://www.hp-expo.com/productpdfs/c9857a_za_eng.pdf
And yes, is TWAIN for Windows plugin for Tosh.

Well, one thing to try. I assume the HP Precision Scan does standalone also, right? Make some and see if same crash happens without Elements even involved.

Otherwise, may simply be OSX compatibility?
Did you get latest OSX stuff from HP site?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=5851 2&lang=en&dlc =en&lc=en&cc=us&os=219
or
http://tinyurl.com/3o4je

Mac
DR
Dick_Riegner
Jul 19, 2004
Mac,

I tried a more controlled test. I used PSE2 and GraphicConverter V5.2 to initiate a scan from the 5470c. Both applications use the HP "Scanjet" Photoshop plug-in.

Both applications crashed after consecutively scanning exactly 6 images. Since the HP "Scanjet" Photoshop plug-in is common to both applications, this may be an HP problem after all.

Thanks for you help.

Dick
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jul 19, 2004
Well, one thing to try. I assume the HP Precision Scan does standalone also, right? Make some and see if same crash happens without Elements even involved

I think you should try Mac’s suggestion before you blame the HP software. I have an HP 5470 also…although I use it with a PC…and I keep the scanning and image-editing functions completely separate. I scan the images into TIFF files, and then open them in PSE. I have never had a problem, and I have scanned THOUSANDS of images. If you read this forum regularly, you know that a significant portion of the questions here relate to TWAIN drivers. I’m not saying they don’t work, but there are often interoperability problems.
When in doubt, keep it simple…do the scans with the HP PrecisionScan software, save the files and then open them in PSE.
If you STILL have a problem, then it is time to call HP. Bert
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 19, 2004
… then it is time to call HP.

Better to be in hell with your back broken.

Mac
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jul 19, 2004
Better to be in hell with your back broken

LOL! I forgot how much you hate them…:)
Bert
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 19, 2004
It’s not just HP. My canoscan plugin for OSX seems to do the same thing every now and then (and the standalone software is OS9 only and isn’t terribly happy working in classic so it’s the only option I have – apart from forking out for vuescan). It seems to be something about the rather ordinary suppport that scannner manufacturers give to OSX as much as anything else.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jul 19, 2004
so it’s the only option I have – apart from forking out for vuescan

I use the HP Precisionscan software with my flatbed 5470, but I bought Vuescan for my MInolta film scanner, and I’m very happy with it. There’s a bit of a learning curve…it’s not the most user-friendly software on the planet, but once you get it set up, it does a beautiful job.
Also, Ed Hamrick is very helpful if you have problems.
Bert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections